• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Europe and Qatar vs UAE (1 Viewer)

Himalaya

Wanted a 4-5 day trip somewhere in not too distant Europe ie less than 3 hours away - can go at some point from 30 September until late October.
Don't want to go to Netherlands, Germany, Portugal, Spain, Turkey, Israel or Greece. Anywhere with nice autumn scenes are a bonus!!!

Will be passing through either Doha or one of the UAE airports in early January and staying for 4-5 days. What is the Doha region like for birding? What about Dubai and Abu Dhabi?

Really enjoy birding in Dubai - the UAE Birding website run by Tommy Pedersen should give you everything you need

UAE is hot until middle of October.
I visited last year 7. to 10. October Abu Dhabi ( about 38 Centigrads on day ) and Al Ain ( 42 centigrads on day ), this year 29. March to 1.st April Dubai ( 34 centigrads on day ).
In early spring, night is not so hot, because Persian Gulf is not so warm.

http://www.uaebirding.com/birdingsites.html

But less than 3 hours to UAE is difficult, without help of Air Force.

Last edited:
Will be in first 2 weeks of January that i will be visiting. Good website this.

UAE is hot until middle of October.
I visited last year 7. to 10. October Abu Dhabi ( about 38 Centigrads on day ) and Al Ain ( 42 centigrads on day ), this year 29. March to 1.st April Dubai ( 34 centigrads on day ).
In early spring, night is not so hot, because Persian Gulf is not so warm.

http://www.uaebirding.com/birdingsites.html

But less than 3 hours to UAE is difficult, without help of Air Force.

I know but I will be stopping at either destination coming back from another country so Oman is out sadly.

Yes, I understood that. If Oman Air flies to your ultimate destination you can stop off in Muscat just as you can with Qatar Airlines in Doha or Emirates in Dubai.

Hello all - some really useful info here so thanks . We are looking to visit Abu Dhabi in mid Feb, flying into Dubai. We are visiting friends and I really wasn't expecting much bird-wise (we should have couple of days free, with a hire car) but this thread has given me hope !! Given time limitations , and don't want to travel for hours, where would you suggest as must-visits sites please? Love to see Crested Honey Buzzard , by the way, but gather can run into these whilst travelling around if lucky. Cheers Chris

It depends on where You are in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
In Abu Dhabi is the Mangrove National Park, which is good for waders and also raptors seen there from time to time.
My hotel was near lake park. So early in the mornng a made some walks there.

In Dubai is Rhas al Khor nationalpark with raptors, waders, herons.

See at page which Phil Andrews recommend, this was very helpful for me.

If you are going to Dubai and CHB is your target then would recommend Mushrif Park; should also pick up Arabian Babbler there plus potentially Shikra, various Bulbuls, Mynahs etc.

Rash Al Khor is a must but any local park should yield birds - where are you staying?

Himalaya, do you know yet which city you'll be staying in? If Doha, I can't help you, but if it's Abu Dhabi, we could meet up for a few hours.

Chris, I can take you round Abu Dhabi for a few hours in Feb, either early morning on a weekend day (Fri/Sat) or late afternoon on a weekday.

Your best place for OHB is Mushrif Palace Gardens, but they could be soaring anywhere in that area. Shikra is also present in the area. Also Purple Sunbird, several warbler species, etc. If you hire a car, go to Al Wathba Wetland Reserve (open only on Tuesday pm or Saturday am) and get to both hides (Grey-headed Swamphen among others). The camel racetrack is still worth a visit (larks, etc. on the lawns).

Some of the guys here will guide you around the better sites (Khor al Beida, RAK, Wamm, etc.) for around $300 a day.

Thanks for really helpful posts folks - sounds a bit vague but, not being familiar with UAE, I'm not sure of geography; for a start need to find exactly where in Abu Dhabi our friends live. AndyB, will get in touch when know that and dates - thanks for kind offer. Getting more enthused about it now !!!

If You have friends in Abu Dhabi show them the description of Tommy Pedersons homepage ( uaebirding ).
Some places You can find easy via googlemaps or similar.

Himalaya, do you know yet which city you'll be staying in? If Doha, I can't help you, but if it's Abu Dhabi, we could meet up for a few hours.

Chris, I can take you round Abu Dhabi for a few hours in Feb, either early morning on a weekend day (Fri/Sat) or late afternoon on a weekday.

Your best place for OHB is Mushrif Palace Gardens, but they could be soaring anywhere in that area. Shikra is also present in the area. Also Purple Sunbird, several warbler species, etc. If you hire a car, go to Al Wathba Wetland Reserve (open only on Tuesday pm or Saturday am) and get to both hides (Grey-headed Swamphen among others). The camel racetrack is still worth a visit (larks, etc. on the lawns).

Some of the guys here will guide you around the better sites (Khor al Beida, RAK, Wamm, etc.) for around $300 a day.

Hi again Andy - now booked - staying in Abu Dhabi ( c10 mins from airport Im told ) 18-24 February 2019. If you do fancy meeting up for few hours that would be great. Been checking sites suggested on web, and looking forward to it...weather will make nice change from Feb UK as well! thanks -Chris

Hi again Andy - now booked - staying in Abu Dhabi ( c10 mins from airport Im told ) 18-24 February 2019. If you do fancy meeting up for few hours that would be great. Been checking sites suggested on web, and looking forward to it...weather will make nice change from Feb UK as well! thanks -Chris

Sure Chris. PM me nearer the time.

Thanks so much for this offer but we will be going via Doha and with family. Will be constrained to the city....

So Doha it is....will struggle to do specific birding trips......might be making the most of public parks, beaches, any nearby nature reserves and desert safaris....fatbirder recommends places away from Doha sadly....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back