• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Favourite Bird of prey. (1 Viewer)

I have always had a fascination for peregrine falcons, but I think that red-shouldered hawks win out as my favorite because of their familiarity and behavior. Then again, ask me next week, and I might give a different answer.

;-)

I have a few favs, and here are my (not so good) encounters with them:

California Condor; July 19 and (maybe) 20, 2005; North Rim, Grand Canyon, AZ-One bird flew over me, 20-30 feet up. However, I was rushing to reach my dad, because he said he saw a condor (the bird flying over me!), and I was in such a rush, that I glanced at it and ignored it, To my later dismay when my dad told me that was the bird! Not the best, but a sighting. We also think we saw two the next day in Zion, Utah, even though we didn't now condors lived there. We ignored tham (AGAIN) until we later read about condors in Zion. Several experts confirmed our sighting via e-mail.

Snowy Owl; January 22, 2006; Jones Beach State Park, NY- Long one of my favorite birds, I searched for them multiple times in multiple winters. Finally, one visit, rangers told us about a bird that was right outside. We saw him well through binocs, and got two cruddy pictures.

Peregrine Falcon; Fairly Often Seen, but still, what a bird! Gives me a real rush when I see one.

Red-tailed Hawk; Often Seen, but still a favorite. I've had a few close encounters with them, too.

All of these birds will always be important to me! :)

Last edited:
I love all birds of prey and i am currently taking an animal management course after which I would like to work with wild animals and particularly birds of prey.

I don't remember if I have replied. But I like fierce little Kestrels. One had a Red Tailed Hawk come into its territory with immediate dive bomb attacks on the red tail. It was fun to watch.

at the moment i'm enjoying hobby's

very greatfull to them for coming out to my area rather than skulking around
some far off distant coastal reserve.

thanks too to the buzzard that flew over my house just as i peeped out of the window last month.

matt

kestrels are cute. I often see them sitting on power supply lines or "fluttering in the air without moving" (I don't know the accurate English expression; in German it's "rütteln"). Once while gazing into the sky I saw one being chased away by a jackdaw, which was funny to watch; the hunted hunter...

myself said:
kestrels are cute. I often see them sitting on power supply lines or "fluttering in the air without moving" (I don't know the accurate English expression; in German it's "rütteln"). Once while gazing into the sky I saw one being chased away by a jackdaw, which was funny to watch; the hunted hunter...

Hi Myself rütteln is to shake when a kestrel is rütteln we call it hovering or in german schweben

Many Thanks

kuz said:
Hi Myself rütteln is to shake when a kestrel is rütteln we call it hovering or in german schweben
Thanks a lot! (I know "to shake (e.g. with fear)" is rather "zittern (vor Angst)" than "rütteln"; this just by the way)

Yes, "a hovering kestrel" makes sense... many thanks.

may I ask where you are from?

myself said:
Thanks a lot! (I know "to shake (e.g. with fear)" is rather "zittern (vor Angst)" than "rütteln"; this just by the way)

Yes, "a hovering kestrel" makes sense... many thanks.

may I ask where you are from?

From England but half German and lived in Germany for 10 years, go there quite alot south rather than anywhere else really like Salzburg.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back