• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ospreys - Loch Garten (1 Viewer)

Yes I saw the mating as well. Is anyone having the same problem as me? ie the video feed keeps freezing... seems to have coincided with their switch of software over the last couple of days? I'm new to the Loch Garten cam and new to this site too. So, hi everybody!

Yes the live feed is a bit problematical at the moment. I think it is because of the large number of viewers.

Ah - glad someone else is having the problem! I guess it's Saturday, after all. I take it from reading through the thread that this male she has taken up with it not last year's mate but a bit of an ASBO case? Apparently there's another female hanging around Logie's mate, so she'd better speed up her return as well. I'll be glad when she gets back, I've hardly done any work for weeks!

Ah - glad someone else is having the problem! I guess it's Saturday, after all. I take it from reading through the thread that this male she has taken up with it not last year's mate but a bit of an ASBO case? Apparently there's another female hanging around Logie's mate, so she'd better speed up her return as well. I'll be glad when she gets back, I've hardly done any work for weeks!

Oh this bird is well known to her. He is actually her ex-husband. Orange VS and EJ were a couple at a nest 40km from Loch Garten. They raised at least one chick together. Then back in 2003 another bird evicted EJ from her nest and she later turned up at Loch Garten and paired up with Henry who had finally won the nest after a two year battle. The legendary Ollie had failed to return for the 2002 season.

It was felt that Henry and EJ would be the new coulple in residence in 2004. However the surprise was that it was Orange VS that initially turned up to court EJ. Henry arrived on April 4 and drove Orange VS away. He then proceeded to raise three chicks with EJ.

In 2005 the pattern was repeated except that Henry did not get back until 25th April and arrived very weak. He was still able to carry out his first egg smashing stunt aided and abetted by another young male called Red 8T. EJ sulked and disappeared for nine days. It is thought that Henry eventually went to look for her.

That has been the pretty much the pattern since.

In 2006 Henry did not get back to April 10 by which time EJ was pretty much ready to lay eggs. However since there were not actually any eggs when Henry arrived he accepted these eggs and probably brought up Orange VS's chicks.

Last year Henry did not arrive until 22nd April and found EJ with a clutch of eggs. Henry soon got rid of those in a performace which was televised around the world. He even persuaded EJ to lay a second clutch but the chicks all died around hatching time.

When Orange VS is evicted fro Loch Garten he slopes off to his own nest and wife where he is allegedly not too good at providing for chicks.

Hi Parkina,

Glad to see you are up and watching. I am Henry and EJ's biggest (daftest) fan. Did you see Orange bring in a fish and EJ had to take it from him? Henry would have presented it straight to her, he is a gent. but I am biased. I just wish he would get back sooner and we didn't have the "Eastenders" bit but they have got the world watching and the more people looking out for birds the better I like it.

Since joining BF some years ago now I don't watch TV much, there is much more variety on the net.

Enjoy your time with us and I hope it is a long stay, lovely people and beautiful birds what more could anybody want? It is raining here and I don't travel and can stay warm and dry watching all the web cams.

Ann :egghead:
The Osprey Godmother

Hi Ann
Thanks for the welcome. I'm still having a lot of problems with the video feed from Loch Garten.... freezing after 20 secs or so. Been on the Loch of Lowes cam, where they have an egg. The mic picks up a bewildering array of birdsong too, very atmospheric.

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

It takes for ever here for the video to load, I am sure it is because so many people round the world watch it, the connection goes then appears again. You are right the quality is not as good as Loch Lowes and of course has no sound.

I am sat here typing and watching the camera at the same time. Not good news (for me anyway) EJ is nest building, where oh where is Henry?

The Osprey Godmother

Hi Tiger,

The Loch Lowes female was also seen mating with another male (her son) once before her regular partner turned up. I guess females are programmed to raise a family as soon as they can so the chicks get a good start in life before they start their first migration.

I wonder how much time and fishing Orange VS does for his other partner? it would be awful to think of 2 families not having enough to eat.

Ann :-C:egghead:
The Osprey Godmother

Hi Tiger,

The Loch Lowes female was also seen mating with another male (her son) once before her regular partner turned up. I guess females are programmed to raise a family as soon as they can so the chicks get a good start in life before they start their first migration.

I wonder how much time and fishing Orange VS does for his other partner? it would be awful to think of 2 families not having enough to eat.

Ann :-C:egghead:
The Osprey Godmother

Orange VS has a horrible reputation as far as I know. He is now 16 and has not raised many chicks.....possibly only one (not counting the ones that Henry has raised for him).

I have heard that his chicks died of hunger last year.

Interestingly Orange VS's wife Green 7B did turn up at Loch Garten one year (2004 if I recall correctly). Green 7B is a grand-daughter of the legendary Ollie.

Hi Tiger,

I wonder how far away his other nest is, that may explain the lack of fish not that I am looking for excuses for him, he should look after his own female and raise a family like the good dad Henry is, he has to make it back to look after EJ properly.

The Osprey Godmother

Hi Tiger,

I wonder how far away his other nest is, that may explain the lack of fish not that I am looking for excuses for him, he should look after his own female and raise a family like the good dad Henry is, he has to make it back to look after EJ properly.

The Osprey Godmother

I think it is about 25 miles but if you want I can get a definite answer.

Apparently it is about 16 miles south of Loch Garten.

Last edited:
Probably Orange's missus!!:t:

Not as fanciful as it sounds. I think this did happen in 2005 when Green 7B did turn up at Loch Garten.

Indeed Green 7B has history (Diary extract)

One of the lessons we have learned so far as our ospreys are concerned is that we should
not take anything for granted - we never know what is just around the corner. For
instance - avid diary readers may recall that in 2002 our female Olive disappeared for a
whole month whilst five males were contesting the territory.

By the time she re-appeared, a new 2-year-old female (ringed Green 7B) was on site. An
amazing 6-hour battle ensued and Olive eventually prevailed. We later made the
astonishing discovery that Green 7B was in fact the granddaughter of Ollie, Olive's mate
for the previous 8 years.

In the best soap operas, characters are 'written-out' and sometimes re-appear years
later. If White EJ does capitulate and has to leave our nest, she will be unable to return
to her old nest 25 km away. Ollie's granddaughter will certainly have something to say
about that!

Last edited:
Don't know whether you've been on Roy Dennis' Logie site recently, but he has a wonderful google picture of her position at 11.00am today - 500ft over Heathrow Terminal 4.... !!!! Aaaaaaaaagh!!!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back