• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Loch of Lowes Ospreys (1 Viewer)

Hi Tom,

The live web cam is great, I love the sound it is like having an Osprey here with me, I watched it tonight until it was too dark to see. I just wish I could identify all the other birds sounds I hear as well. I have bird CD's but however often I play them I cannot recognise or remember them.

Enjoy your visits up there and I look forward to seeing your photos.

Ann :egghead:
The Osprey Godmother

Hey Ann.

The webcam is one of the best live ones I have ever seen. Its brilliant that they actually follow the osprey if it moves off camera. The sound is awesome too. I can recognise a few other bird calls but the rest defeat me LOL. Isn't she making a brilliant job with that nest. She's got it looking really comfy. Fingers crossed for healthy eggs, perhaps even her 50th. I've got my eyes peeled.

Ann

Hi Ann,

The webcam is awesome. This morning I had just clicked on and found myself soaring over the loch it was a bit scary, I thought my PC mouse was being operated by a ghost as I was nowhere near it, it wasn't fully daylight here but there they both were side by side. The lady is a lot better at her housekeeping than I am that's for sure, that nest looks cosier every time I look.

I wonder how long it will be before she lays her first egg? I noticed the Glasyn female (lot younger of course) laid her first yesterday but the nests at Loch Garten and Bassenthwaite have no adult Ospreys yet, I think EJ has moved out of the snow or gone looking for Henry I hope?

Ann :egghead::flyaway:
The Osprey Godmother

Hi Ann,

The webcam is awesome. This morning I had just clicked on and found myself soaring over the loch it was a bit scary, I thought my PC mouse was being operated by a ghost as I was nowhere near it, it wasn't fully daylight here but there they both were side by side. The lady is a lot better at her housekeeping than I am that's for sure, that nest looks cosier every time I look.

I wonder how long it will be before she lays her first egg? I noticed the Glasyn female (lot younger of course) laid her first yesterday but the nests at Loch Garten and Bassenthwaite have no adult Ospreys yet, I think EJ has moved out of the snow or gone looking for Henry I hope?

Ann :egghead::flyaway:
The Osprey Godmother

I hope that EJ returns soon. Its just so sad if no chicks are to come from there this year too. The site of the empty nest is upsetting.

Ann
The Other Godmother

Hey Ann

Just checked the website and she laid her first egg on Friday the 13th last year and the last one on the 19th April.

Ann
The other Godmother

Hi Ann,

Thanks for the information, daft but although I watch the web cam a lot I never thought to look for diary entries for last year.

I hope you have no more snow up there and we soon see her 50th egg.

Ann :egghead::flowers:
The Osprey Godmother

I love the sound it is like having an Osprey here with me I just wish I could identify all the other birds sounds I hear as well.

The Osprey Godmother

Hi Ann

Just listening just now both picture and sound seem better than last year hope it is maintained as we lost sound last year and it does make a difference. It is difficult to distinguish sounds especially as my ears are getting a bit dodgy. Age is a terrible thing. Have been able to distinguish at least woodpecker drumming, blue tit, chaffinch, pheasant, collared dove, geese, ?lapwing as I am typing but there is a lot others that I would have to get the discs out for with the same problem as yourself.

Great distant bird watching and listening before leaving for work. Keep it up SWT :t:

Tom

PS As for photos not sure my equipment (skill) is best for this site but will try anyway Thanks

Last edited:
10 April 2008
We have been slowly getting more excited since the last installment because the pair are mating less. This can only mean that the female is hopefully getting very close to laying! After watching some rather comical behaviour of the male sorting the moss in the nest (falling face-first into the bowl of the nest and kicking erratically) this must surely confirm it.
Yesterday the male brought several fish back during the morning but the female was not impressed. It is possible that she would rather he brought moss at this stage (“I told you to bring back moss, not fish!").
There was a little more excitement later on in the morning as three other ospreys intruded into our pair’s territory. But these three were probably just “passing through” to their own breeding grounds.
The nest is looking grand and fit for incubating a brood so hopefully the next entry will bring some good news!

Maybe the ospreys passing through could be headed to Garten?

Hi Ann,

It is looking good for your Ospreys, but we don't need get the knitting needles out, the eggs and young will be snug as a bug in a rug in that nest.

Sadly nobody is on the nest at Garten I checked first thing this morning and as soon as I got home today but at least we know EJ is still nearby waiting and Henry is keeping us waiting as usual.

The Osprey Godmother

Think we have an egg.

I think she may have laid her first egg during the night. Certainly seems to be covering something with the male watching over her a few minutes ago.

Confirmed

Yep we have an egg. Male came back few minutes ago and disturbed her. Could clearly see egg. Camera then zoomedin a few minutes later as she was repositioning the egg :t:

OSPREY DIARY: read the latest news from the nest

11 April 2008: 50th egg laid - and the first this year in Scotland!
We ended the last diary entry saying that the next entry would hopefully bring some good news… and who are we (or should that be our ospreys) to disappoint?
At about 4.10 am our female laid her first egg of the season - and her 50th egg!! Let’s hear it for the old girl!! Right now she’s sitting on the egg looking understandably content and happy with herself, which is entirely understandable since most females lay 30 eggs on average in their lifetime!
We are all waiting for the rest of the clutch to arrive now.

Last edited:
Hi Ann,

Congratulations to the lady and I hope you have a wee dram to celebrate. I saw her on the nest this morning just after 6.30 and thought "must be an egg" as last night she was avoiding the nest cup itself, sitting right on the edge overlooking the loch. There was no note on the diary so early and I didn't have time to look at BF as well.

I am glad the BBC news has made it very clear that the nest is under "close protection" as I hate to think what value an egger would put on the 50th egg, I bet you like me (more so) think it is priceless and we want to see a healthy chick, preferably a female of course to bring future generations into the world.

Ann :egghead::t::-O:clap::flowers::flowers:
The Osprey Godmother

I think there may have been yet another intruder a few moments ago. She started making low squawk noises and hunkered over the egg with her wings splayed out then i seen a large shadow go right over her. She's calmed down now. It wasn't like the usual greeting she gives her male. I hope everything goes ok.

Hi Ann,

I missed it but maybe another bird passing over looking for a nest for itself but now she has an egg the "lady will not be turning or moving" I am sure.

I am off to look at the webcam now, silly me so excited I clicked the wrong button and lost my net connection.

Ann :egghead::D
The Osprey Godmother

Hi Ann & Ben,

It is 6.25 pm and the female has just left the nest. The male was perched in the usual place, it seemed to take him ages but he did fly down to the egg, major engineering task, how to sit down without breaking it. It was fascinating I wish we had action replay, how to keep his big feet out of the way, he sort of sat down crouched on his tail end and very carefully lowered his body down.

Aah Ann I hope you were watching, the look on his face at the end "I did it and no scrambled egg", utter relief.

Does anybody know how long it takes an Osprey egg to hatch please? As this is their 50th it has to hatch unless she lays any more, I can't remember the days in between eggs either, sorry blame the old memory, I would like a new one.

The Osprey Godmother

51 and still counting! Definately 2 eggs at the change over at 8.15 this morning. They both stood looking at them for a minute as if they couldn't quite believe it either!

Does anybody know how long it takes an Osprey egg to hatch please? As this is their 50th it has to hatch unless she lays any more, I can't remember the days in between eggs either, sorry blame the old memory, I would like a new one.

Ann - 34 to 40 days, I believe. Just hope he can keep those wacking great feet off them for that long...

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back