• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dyfi Osprey Project (1 Viewer)

Still neither of the resident birds back here at the Dyfi Osprey Project, however we have had at least one bird seen every day so far this week, including one this morning that flew upriver beyond the nest site. I will post updates here, however latest news is on the Facebook page, Twitter account or on the website itself. http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com

Still well worth a visit here as there has been at least one sighting of an Osprey every day this week along the Dyfi. Also, the reserve here is brilliant at the moment - Water Rail, a pair of Yellowhammers, a male and a female (ring-tail) Hen Harrier, and all sorts of other interesting birds. No sign of either Monty or Nora (the resident Osprey pair) here, however they could be any time now.

The live stream video shows a rather bleak picture, the whole area still looks real mid-winter rather than spring, but, the snow has almost disappeared from the mountains so the temperatures are creeping up.

Nora was unusually early last year (eager to get going |:D|) I'd be surprised if Monty isn't in first this year...so come on buddy...shake a wing :-O

Both of the Glaslyn Ospreys in North Wales returned to their nest site twelve days ago, this is just 40 miles away from the Dyfi Ospreys nest site, I will admit to getting a bit concerned now!!!

Last edited:
The live stream video shows a rather bleak picture, the whole area still looks real mid-winter rather than spring, but, the snow has almost disappeared from the mountains so the temperatures are creeping up.

Nora was unusually early last year (eager to get going |:D|) I'd be surprised if Monty isn't in first this year...so come on buddy...shake a wing :-O

Both of the Glaslyn Ospreys in North Wales returned to their nest site twelve days ago, this is just 40 miles away from the Dyfi Ospreys nest site, I will admit to getting a bit concerned now!!!

Yes but the Glaslyn pair are always fast of the mark. They hold the record for the earliest egg in the UK viz 2ns April in 2011

It is hard to say whether Nora was early or not last year. She could have been equally early in 2011 but took her time to find her way to Dyfi.

We had a large, un-ringed female land on the nest earlier at 13.40. This bird was first seen being mobbed by a Red Kite, and after a few minutes of flying above the nest site managed to 'shrug' off the kite and land on the nest. It was spooked by a passing train, but landed again on a perch beside the nest. A Goshawk then flew past and she took to the air again, before sitting on the nest for about an hour. She eventually took off again after re-arranging some of the sticks in the nest, and went very high before drifting northwards.

We had a large, un-ringed female land on the nest earlier at 13.40. This bird was first seen being mobbed by a Red Kite, and after a few minutes of flying above the nest site managed to 'shrug' off the kite and land on the nest. It was spooked by a passing train, but landed again on a perch beside the nest. A Goshawk then flew past and she took to the air again, before sitting on the nest for about an hour. She eventually took off again after re-arranging some of the sticks in the nest, and went very high before drifting northwards.

It was so exciting. Such a lovely bird.

Now where is Nora & Monty?

Whew!!! Brilliant news, welcome home Monty...hope the missus is right behind you...:-O :-O :-O I really feel Spring is here now :t:

this is great news, all we want now is a female and some of that global warming they keep telling us is warming the planet

Great to know that other 'Osprey potential sites' such as Cardigan Wildlife Park are putting up nests to hopefully attract another Welsh nesting pair...:clap:

My personal wish is that Ospreys nest on the Brecon Beacons reservoirs, then I could have the great pleasure of spending countless hours watching them |^| virtually on my doorstep...that would be my ultimate birding dream come true!!!

Nora is causing us all some concern now, she's 19 days later than last year, meanwhile Monty is feeding well after his arduous migration and hopefully he will be 'top-notch' by the time his mate returns :loveme:

Dyfi Update - 12/04/2013

As 'WHIMBREL' has said, Nora, the resident female, is now 19 days later than 2012; in 2011, she arrived on the 9th of April. Hopes of her returning here deteriorate by the day, as the sightings reported on 'Birdguides' are either further north or to the east. However, many birds in Scotland have not returned to their nesting sites, and we all know that the weather has seriously affected bird migration this year, so we are not giving up hope on Nora, or another female, to appear on the Dyfi. Here is a photo of Monty, the resident male, who arrived on Sunday, just after eating and waiting for a mate.

I truly recommend looking at the Facebook page, as the project manager, Emyr Evans, does fantastic work, making videos and updating the public as to what is going on.

https://www.facebook.com/dyfiospreyproject?fref=ts

http://www.dyfiospreyproject.com

Attachments

• Monty1.jpg
    Monty1.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 40
Quote Justin: I truly recommend looking at the Facebook page, as the project manager, Emyr Evans, does fantastic work, making videos and updating the public as to what is going on...I couldn't agree more Justin :t:

Guess we must all remain positive and wish Nora home (or another female!).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back