• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Collins Bird Guide for Android Survey (1 Viewer)

I picked it up via Bird Guides twitter feed, I believe it is from the developer behind the iPhone version.

Good to see something moving here, altough a survey to gauge interest is a bit less than what I was hoping for. Do they really need a survey to find out that we're desperately waiting for that app :eek!:

I wrote the German publisher of the Svensson guide (Kosmos) and they replied that the Android version is being developed, but they couldn't give a date of publishing yet. They said something about delays related to the developer of the app. Anyway, good to have the confirmation they are working on it.

I wrote the German publisher of the Svensson guide (Kosmos) and they replied that the Android version is being developed, but they couldn't give a date of publishing yet. They said something about delays related to the developer of the app. Anyway, good to have the confirmation they are working on it.

I'm not holding my breath waiting for the Android version. However, my checkbook is ready if it ever is offered. o:D
Against that, the developers web site makes no bones about it being an all Apple shop. Plus they emphasize that they were one of the very first Apple apps, something they are very proud of. In addition, Apple may now have a share of the ownership of the Collins app.

The reply I got from Kosmos mentionned that they work with a new company for the Android version... they also said that the delays where somehow related to this change to a new company.

When looking up the iphone app, it now seems to be associated with natureguides, rather than touchpress, who was the original producer of the app, as far as I understand. http://collinsbirdguideapp.com/

Whatever this all means, I hope that the info I got is correct and that the Android app is out, better sooner than later.

Last edited:
Hi John, this is an app based on content from the Collins book, so needs to be made for android. It will probably be more menu driven as opposed to reading a book if that makes sense. The apple app came out some time ago, much to many people's disgust!
Ebooks, on the other hand, do work across all platforms, but, can get complicated due to the publishers putting digital locks on their ebooks to prevent illegal sharing. This can get messy as your library of ebooks could all end up in different collections. E.g. some on Kindle, some on Google books. I had a lot of difficulty with the reptile field guide which would only work on a specific reader, which was crap (very slow, and only possible to turn one page at a time).
Fortunately, there is a free software program which works on Windows pc's called calibre which can convert ebooks to pdfs, readable on pretty much any reader.
There are also scanning apps for android which can assist in converting paper books to digital format which is useful for converting sections of field guides into pdf.

Apologies, this is going off topic, but may be useful, and may help avoiding some of the pitfalls I have been down!

Last edited:
In case my earlier comment is misleading, I'm not sure what the product being released tomorrow is.
It can't be an "ebook android app". It is either an ebook, or an app, or i don't understand!

The description implies it is an app, with clever searching tools, and in-app purchases to add videos etc. Which is like the apple version.
But the product details say it's a 416 page ebook, and the preorder page states reflowable ebook. Plus the webpage says it should be read with the bookshout! App. So, I'm a bit confused what it is, to be honest.

Last edited:
In case my earlier comment is misleading, I'm not sure what the product being released tomorrow is.
It can't be an "ebook android app". It is either an ebook, or an app, or i don't understand!

The description implies it is an app, with clever searching tools, and in-app purchases to add videos etc. Which is like the apple version.
But the product details say it's a 416 page ebook, and the preorder page states reflowable ebook. Plus the webpage says it should be read with the bookshout! App. So, I'm a bit confused what it is, to be honest.

I notice there is also a £2.50 shipping charge, which is quite odd for something downloadable.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back