• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Your Favourite Bird of prey. (1 Viewer)

For me it has to be the Eleonora's falcon. I had never seen a bird do a complete aerial loop the loop before. These guys nest around the Med islands and spend the winter around Madagascar and Tanzania.

difficult to determine

what a question "which raptor is your favourite?"...they're all great
nevertheless my #1 is the bald eagle, majestic fish-hunter beautiful to look at...
it's difficult to determine which one is 2nd place, 3rd,...they're commonly so awesome, I'm always "enchanted" when I have the opportunity to watch them

PS: please don't mind me miscalling eagles as male but in german animals are not just neuter, thus it sounds extremely stupid to me to call them "it"

Attachments

• adler_big.jpg
    adler_big.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 184
Last edited:
Finders

....... and Isabelle who found a shrike & a wheatear; Mr. Cretzchmar who found a bunting; Mr. Terek who found a sandpiper; Mr. Temminck who found a stint ..............................

Sandra

Surprised there has been no votes for Lammergeier. It looks awesome from photo's, the books and on an old Survival programme I once watched.

I'd love to see one !

Runcorn Birder said:
Surprised there has been no votes for Lammergeier. It looks awesome from photo's, the books and on an old Survival programme I once watched.

I'd love to see one !

You must be a mind reader!! After reading this thread earlier I've been sat looking up the Lammergeier in my Collins and on the net.....spooky.
|:D|

Runcorn Birder said:

I'd love to see one !

Lammergeier is an awsome bird. I had superb views of them in the Pyrenees last year. African Fish Eagle is a stunning raptor also. But the raptor I would most like to see is Harpy Eagle, but I don't think that will ever happen.

seen both White Hawk and Swallow-tailed Kite. Both wonderful

Andean Condor is a mightily impressive bird
Wedge-tailed Eagle in Oz
Javan Hawk Eagle is a special bird for me

I haven't seen possibly the best though - Harpy Eagle. One day.

Tim

Vipers said:
Lammergeier is an awsome bird. I had superb views of them in the Pyrenees last year.

My most wanted bird. They certainly do look impressive.

Vipers said:
African Fish Eagle is a stunning raptor also. But the raptor I would most like to see is Harpy Eagle, but I don't think that will ever happen.

Saw a programme last week (possibly Deep Jungle) and the Harpy Eagle was filmed taking a Sloth. What an awesome bird.

Runcorn Birder said:
Tim,

I'm surprised you haven't caught up with a Harpy Eagle on your Amazonian travels. Are they difficult to see ? Or just very scarce ?

large rnges

you need to sit in the canopy for several days in a place that supports them and you'll get one eventually

or just flush one up from near your feet in the forest as an unbelievably lucky friend of mine did...

Tim

Runcorn Birder said:
Tim,

I'm surprised you haven't caught up with a Harpy Eagle on your Amazonian travels. Are they difficult to see ? Or just very scarce ?

Harpy Eagles live deep in forests. The main problem is that they don't soar above the canopy like other raptors, so you can be quite close to one and not see it. Apparently, they are unafriad of people and can be approached quite closely, so I hope to get some great photos when I finally catch up with one. The only way to guarantee seeing one is to visit a known nest site. For the last few years there has been a nest that you can visit in the state of Mato Grosso in Brazil. There was also a site in Panama a few years back.
The nearest I have managed to get so far was at a captive breeding centre in Minas Gerais in Brazil, where they had 25 birds. They were absolutely amazing (see attached photo).
Tom

Attachments

• Captive Harpy Brazil.JPG
    Captive Harpy Brazil.JPG
    158.5 KB · Views: 2,589
i like alot of them, you cant just choose one.

great horned owl (king of owls)

tawny eagle

martial eagle

gyrfalcon

verrauxes eagle (best looking of the aquila eagles)

I'm going to support my local Buzzards - they can soar and whirl around spectacularly enough to keep me happy. (Don't know what's going on with the Kestrels round here - haven't seen one for a while - hopefully that's just bad luck or poor observation on my part).

My fav has to be the Honey buzzard,for their graceful effortless flight & their unusual ecology.

Cheers Steve.

European Eagle Owl without a doubt for me followed by Barn Owl, I was also privileged to watch a pair of Osprey at quite close quarters whilst on holiday in Yellowstone National Park last year, our photos came out dreadful however, but it is a memory my wife and I will never forget.
Midge

Harpy Eagle, no doubt. I've only seen them in captivity though, a pair in the Summit Gardens breeding cage in Panama. They have a small visitor center there to inform visitors about the bird and the Panamian breeding program (run by the Peregrine Fund). The movie they show there is incredible. At one part it shows a Harpy Eagle grabbing a full-grown howler monkey out of a tree, and as it flies away it crushes the skull of the monkey with one of its tallons. You could actually hear the "pop" sound as the skull collapsed!! Some Harpy Eagles born in captivity have been released somewhere along the second half of Pipeline Road, but I've heard that at least one of them was already shot by hunters... To avoid the released birds getting too used to seeing people, the second half of Pipeline is sometimes closed to birdwatchers. I've never made it that far on Pipeline though.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back