• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

I'm new here, a nervous newbie. (1 Viewer)

Radar44

I've been a birdwatcher for many years actually since secondary school days and I'm well into me 40's now. Found this sight while looking up about investing in a telescope. My other interests are falconry and computers.

Any advice gratefully welcome on my first purchase of a scope, always used binoculars and a camera birdwatching with me and husband wants to treat me.

Regards
Radar44

Hi Sheila,

Welcome to Birdforum.

It depends on how much your Husband wants to spend on the scope, check out the threads about equipment . Another thing to consider is when firms like "in focus" have days out at birding locations so you can actually get the feel of them. I am Mrs Cheapskate and have a one from Aldi which I paid £24.99 a few months ago.

A very warm welcome to the Forum Sheila.

Try not to be too nervous as I'm sure you'll really enjoy yourself here, where all your interests can be catered for. Go to "Forums" and have a good look all through the list of boards -"Computing" too!

Best wishes,

Sue.

Hi Sheila and welcome to Bird Forum from all the Staff and Moderators

I'm sure you will enjoy it here.

D

A first time buyer for a scope

Is there anything extra to take into consideration when buying a scope to a pair of binoculars or apply the same rules such optical and whether zoom required, other than I also wear glasses so like to be able to have rubber cap on eye focus to fold back.

I think in the region of £150-£250 should be able to get a decent starter scope for that price??

Radar44

Hi everybody, been out birding this weekend and visited a sight that an 'in-foucs' shop was based and tried out a couple of different scopes. Oh boy it was fun at Rutland Reserve with the ospreys busily incubating. Came back here once I was home. Couldn't wait to read what others have been doing over the bank holiday.

Thanks for all your kind words I'll try and visit at least once a week more if feasible with work commitments.

Hi everybody, been out birding this weekend and visited a sight that an 'in-foucs' shop was based and tried out a couple of different scopes. Oh boy it was fun at Rutland Reserve with the ospreys busily incubating. Came back here once I was home. Couldn't wait to read what others have been doing over the bank holiday.

Thanks for all your kind words I'll try and visit at least once a week more if feasible with work commitments.

Hi again Sheila,

To help you get into things here why not put a report of your day on the "My Patch" boards, it'll help you get into things and start to 'meet' people. Go on, give it a go! Good luck.

Sue.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back