• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another great day in the Pyrenees 2018 (1 Viewer)

The end of the week didn't dissappoint - well marginally.

Whilst once again being a little bit hampered with the weather. A walk through the fields produced a few migrants - Whitethroat, Spot Fly, Pied Fly, Whinchat, Meadow Pipit and a Booted Eagle and then the move up the mountains a Lammy amongst Griffons. This was followed by a pair at tree height overhead.

Dipped on the Black Wood but the walk produced Crested Tit.

At the col we found 4 very obliging Accentors! A few little bits Serin etc. but no Snowfinch - too late!

The last morning was a blinder though. Started with some lovely Yellow Wagtails and 13 Rock Sparrow (my highest count round here), and on to the airport for the Black Shouldered Kites which were eventually found! We moved position to get them downbreeze or sun behind and they were stunning - 5. One even balacing on a wire eating a mouse. A couple were extreme 'tail-cocking' which I have never seen before - it was mentioned that it could be balancing on the wire but it was interesting to watch.

A Wryneck was picked up and a Monties Harrier Juv above the runway - he must have thought he was in Scotland as the bird scaring fireworks were blasting around him! crested Lark (took some work) and a Zitter on the wires.

The morning was polished off with 1 then 5 Cirl Buntings on the way back and at base.

Great.

94 species in the 3 1/2 days although could have easily been 110 - I had 6 extras on the Sunday Monday and 3 during the week plus missed a couple of sitters!

Attachments

• accentor.jpg
    accentor.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 23
  • mon 26.JPG
    mon 26.JPG
    24 KB · Views: 25
  • Wryneck.JPG
    Wryneck.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 25
Onwards and upwards - well actually went to the med coast with the girls. Very little time for birding and don't tell their mother but I did sneak out before breakfast to score a Rosy Starling! The hours I have spent scouring Starling flocks has finally paid off!

Lots of intersting birds about - Storks Waders etc.

The last afternoon was best with Slender Billed Gull, Pallid Swift (by my reckoning sillouetted), Rollers, Lesser Kestrels, Tawny Pipits etc.

Sadly no Bonellis Eagle despite efforts and only Woodchat Shrike, not bad in his own right, or Little Bustards.

The Lesser Kestrel was most interesting and one normally wouldn't look twice at...

Attachments

• rosy starling.JPG
    rosy starling.JPG
    303.6 KB · Views: 23
  • lesser kestrel.jpg
    lesser kestrel.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 24
  • Lesser Kestrels.JPG
    Lesser Kestrels.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 37
  • lesser kestrel 2.JPG
    lesser kestrel 2.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 22
  • roller.JPG
    roller.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 21
Good news in the Purple Gallinule is back in Gruissan - bad newzs is that I didn't see one!

Typically I spent a ridiculous amount of time sifting through Yellow Wagtails looking for the Citrine and waders looking for anyrthing. I'm pretty sure I managed to find a Temmincks but the wrong side of the field and a long way away. The glossy Ibis were nice though.

Attachments

• honey.JPG
    honey.JPG
    236 KB · Views: 29
  • Slender billed gulls$.JPG
    Slender billed gulls$.JPG
    330.4 KB · Views: 55
  • tawny pipit.JPG
    tawny pipit.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 29
  • woodchat.JPG
    woodchat.JPG
    342.2 KB · Views: 20
A while since last post and not a lot of birding.

5 weeks on the road being the main reason.

Anyway, the 'habitudes' return with the usual shopping trip. Great to see Black Shouldered Kites and a couple of Hen Harriers in their wintering quarters, Reed Buntings, Larks, pipits etc.

Other news is a satellite tagged Capercaille that moved from Bareges to Hautacam, over a three day period, then later returned to Luz (only 700m) where she laid up in Dragnils campsite!!! Now she has moved off to the west and more Capercaille type territory...

Lammergeiers are nest searching but where???

After being blocked in the village for a couple of weeks, car, managed to get out for a couple of hours today.
A few bits and pieces Rock bunting being the early highlight, some griffons etc I decided to head to the lake at Argeles.

reward was quick with some fairly tame Green Sandpipers and a common.

continuing a little walk I found a Middle Spot Wood but failed, in two views, to get a picture! Two trees along was a Great Spot, Nuthatch and in the clearing a Green Wood - so a nice little find. I was actually looking for Lesser but will take Middle every day! That said they probably outnumber Lesser around here...

Nice morning. A few unsuccessful stops for Wallcreeper but temperatures are still high - 17c today!

Negative news on Eagle Owl so far...

Thanks Elite.

A mad dash shopping trip incorporating the usual stops en route to Tarbes. A total of 5 Black Shouldered kites sitting, hunting, mobbing or being mobbed - well pretty much everything they could do. A Merlin flashed across in front of the car whilst I was having lunch. Handily she decided to land on the deck about 100m away. Also a Crested Lark paid a visit.

No Hen Harriers but a few little bits and the ubiquetous Buzzards, Kestrels and Red Kites.

Good news is a couple of successful Eagle Owl nights. I took my daughter on christmas eve and from 17.30-18.00 nothing. My daughter stayed in the car until 17.59 and bingo 18h "whowho" 5 calls from pretty close then nothing. Then 30 mins on christmas day produced one solitary call from the bird at 18.30. A little bit further away and higher....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back