• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Troublesome Birds - Serengeti SORTED (1 Viewer)

Grey-breasted Francolin - Francolinus rufopictus on Avibase not on Opus: Grey-breasted Spurfowl

Crowned Crane: Black Crowned-Crane seems to reach Kenya but not Tanzania, while Grey Crowned-Crane (Balearica regulorum) is in both, so the latter would be my conclusion.

Heuglin's Courser - Three-banded Courser OK? At least it seems to be in Tanzania, and my old "Shorebird" has these two names as synonymous

Brown Parrot: Meyer's Parrot (Poicephalus meyeri) seems to fit the bill

White-faced Scops Owl: Southern White-faced Owl (Ptilopsis granti) seems to be the one

Ground Hornbill - Southern or Abyssinian?: Tanzania is mentioned for Southern Ground-Hornbill (Bucorvus leadbeateri)

Little Spotted Woodpecker - only 1 hit from 3 possibles on Avibase 'Green-backed Woodpecker'?: Green-backed Woodpecker (Campethera cailliautii) is in the right area ...

Singing Bush Lark: Singing Lark (Mirafra cantillans) is in the right area

Striped Swallow: Lesser Striped-Swallow (Cecropis abyssinica) is in the right area, but Greater Striped-Swallow (Cecropis cucullata) also reaches Tanzania, but the question is if it reaches Serengeti?

African Sand Martin - Plain Martin?: I would use that one, even though it is found outside Africa

Black-lobed Babbler - is this a mis-type... Black-lored Babbler?: yes, except that it is a pre-split name and the subpart you want must be Sharpe's Pied-Babbler (Turdoides sharpei)

Red-tailed Chat: I can only narrow that to two species: Familiar Chat (Cercomela familiaris) or Red-tailed Ant-Thrush (Neocossyphus rufus)

White-tailed Scrub Robin - Can't find on Avibase : my best guess is Chatshrike (Lanioturdus torquatus)

Anteater Chat - Northern or Southern?: Southern is much further south

Cliff Chat: Mocking Cliff-Chat (Thamnolaea cinnamomeiventris) is in the right area

Banded Parisoma - Parisoma boehmi on Avibase not on Opus: Banded Warbler (Sylvia boehmi)

African Grey Flycatcher - Melaenornis microrhynchus on Avibase not on Opus Large Flycatcher, Bradornis microrhynchus

Black Flycatcher: White-eyed Slaty-Flycatcher (Melaenornis fischeri) is in the rigth area, but so is Northern Black-Flycatcher (Melaenornis edolioides) and Southern Black-Flycatcher (Melaenornis pammelaina). Someone with a local book is needed!

Wattle-eye: Black-throated Wattle-eye (Platysteira peltata) is in the rigth area, but so is Jameson's Wattle-eye (Dyaphorophyia jamesoni) ??

Blue-eared Glossy Starling: Southern Blue-eared Glossy-Starling (Lamprotornis elisabeth) is in the right area, but so is Greater Blue-eared Glossy-Starling (Lamprotornis chalybaeus) ??

Little Purple-banded Sunbird - Cinnyris bifasciatus on Avibase not on Opus: Purple-banded Sunbird (Nectarinia bifasciata) could be the right one

Yellow White-eye: African Yellow White-eye (Zosterops senegalensis) seems to fit the bill. There is also an Australian Yellow White-eye, so this one has to be fixed using an edit not a redirect.

Grosbeak?

Black-winged Red... between Black Bishop and Yellow-manted Widowbird: Black-winged Bishop (Euplectes hordeaceus) sometimes has a "Red" included in the name

Southern Red Bishop - sorry confused between the 'Red' and Orange Weaver?: The original Red Bishop (Euplectes orix) was seemingly split into two species, one of which retains the name or get Southern added, and the other named Orange Bishop (Euplectes franciscanus) AKA Northern Red B.

Masked Weaver: Tanzania seems to have at least four: Lesser Masked-Weaver Ploceus intermedius; Southern Masked-Weaver Ploceus velatus; Vitelline Masked-Weaver Ploceus vitellinus; Tanganyika Masked-Weaver Ploceus reichardi

Rufous Sparrow: Kenya Rufous-Sparrow (Passer rufocinctus) is a possibility, but there is some splits that may complicate things

Paradise Whydah: Broad-tailed Paradise-Whydah Vidua obtusa and Eastern Paradise-Whydah Vidua paradisaea both seems possible

Quailfinch: African Quailfinch (Ortygospiza atricollis) seems possible, but again some problems with splits

Yellow-rumped Seedeater: Reichenow's Seedeater (Serinus reichenowi) or Black-throated Canary (Serinus atrogularis) both seems to be within range

Cheers
Niels

Black-lobed Babbler - is this a mis-type... Black-lored Babbler?: yes, except that it is a pre-split name and the subpart you want must be Sharpe's Pied-Babbler (Turdoides sharpei)

I moved the Black-lored Babbler in Opus to Black-faced Babbler which is the preferred name

Niels

Serengeti

Grey-breasted Francolin - Francolinus rufopictus on Avibase not on Opus Grey-breasted Spurfowl
Crowned Crane - Grey Crowned Crane
Heuglin's Courser - Three-banded Courser OK? - yes, heuglin's is the name given in Zimmerman, Turner & Pearson
Brown Parrot - Meyer's Parrot - Brown is the name given in Zimmerman, Turner & Pearson
White-faced Scops Owl Southern White-faced Owl
Ground Hornbill - Southern or Abyssinian? Southern
Little Spotted Woodpecker - only 1 hit from 3 possibles on Avibase 'Green-backed Woodpecker'? Yes ZTP gives Green-backed as an alternative name
Singing Bush Lark Mirafra cantillans ZTP and Sinclair and Ryan give Singing Bush Lark as the English name.
Striped Swallow - Lesser Striped, Greater Striped does no reach the Serengeti
African Sand Martin - Plain Martin? ZTP use both names
Black-lobed Babbler - is this a mis-type... Black-lored Babbler?Yes, ZTP use this for Turdoides sharpei
Red-tailed Chat - Familiar Chat ZTP give both names.
White-tailed Scrub Robin - Can't find on Avibase, White-browed Scrub Robin Cerctotrichas leucophrys neither ZTP or Sinclair and Ryan have this name
Anteater Chat - Northern or Southern? Northern
Cliff Chat - Mocking chat
Banded Parisoma - Parisoma boehmi on Avibase not on Opus But in both ZTP and Sinclair & Ryan
African Grey Flycatcher - Melaenornis microrhynchus on Avibase not on Opus Both ZTP and S&R use Bradornis as the genus name.
Black Flycatcher Probably Northern Black Melaenornis edoloides, Southern not recorded from Serengeti.
Wattle-eye Common Wattle-eye Patysteira cyanea (Brown-throated in S&R)
Blue-eared Glossy Starling
Little Purple-banded Sunbird - Cinnyris bifasciatus on Avibase not on Opus - Purple-banded Sunbird Nectarinia bifasciata in ZTP.
Yellow White-eye Zosterops senegalensis no alternative given by ZTP African Yellow White-eyes in S&R
Grosbeak Grosbeak Weaver Ambylospiza albifrons
Black-winged Red... between Black Bishop and Yellow-manted Widowbird
Southern Red Bishop - sorry confused between the 'Red' and Orange Weaver? Euplectes hordeaceus aka Fire-crowned Bishop in ZTP, Black-winged Bishop n S&R
Masked Weaver - Lesser Masked Weaver Ploceus intermedius ZTP give Masked as the alternative name
Rufous Sparrow Passer rufocinctus S&R call Kenya Rufous Sparrow
Paradise Whydah Vidua paradisea Eastern paradise Whydah according to S&R
Quailfinch African Quail-Finch Ortygospiza atricollis
Yellow-rumped Seedeater Serinus rechenowi Reichenow's or Kenya Yellow-rumped Seed-Eater in S&R

Thanks

D

Delia

Using my regional Field guides, here's my attampt.

David

Thanks both - I've edited the first post to delete the sorted ones

I'm still confused with the Southern Red Bishop:

Bishop's already in the list are:

Yellow Bishop
Black Bishop
Black-winged Bishop

Now going on one of David's suggestions, 'Fire-crowned Bishop' brings up 'Fire-fronted Bishop' on Opus... could it be that one?

D

Euplectes orix would still be my guess for S Red Bishop, especially as Euplectes hordeaceus in Davids proposal already is in the list under the name of black-winged B.

Niels

Euplectes orix would still be my guess for S Red Bishop, especially as Euplectes hordeaceus in Davids proposal already is in the list under the name of black-winged B.

Niels
E. orix is Southern Red Bishop.

Delia for problems with African birds try the African Bird Club website -their image database may be of help: www.birdquest.net/afbid/birdgroup.php

(>click Passeriformes > click Ploceidae> scroll down to Euplectes orix)

Last edited:
E. orix is Southern Red Bishop.

Delia for problems with African birds try the African Bird Club website -their image database may be of help: www.birdquest.net/afbid/birdgroup.php

(>click Passeriformes > click Ploceidae> scroll down to Euplectes orix)

Thanks Steve!

However, you're thinking I've far more knowledge than I have:gh::-O

It took me over 4 hours:eek!: to sort through that article last night, trying to match what other people call some of the birds with what Opus calls them.

Now, have you any ideas on the other two LOL, I mean what on earth is a Wattle-eye:stuck:

D

Delia, Blue-eared Glossy Starling could be Greater B-e G.S or Lesser B-e G.S. Do you have a link to an image of the bird? They can be separated on eye colour & subtle differences of the head feathering.

Serengeti

Blue-eared Glossy Starling

Thanks

D

Greater Blue-eared Glossy Starling ~ Lamprotornis chalybaeus
Lesser Blue-eared Glossy Starling ~ Lamprotornis chloropterus

Most likely Greater which I have seen in The Gambia & South Africa, I'm not sure of the range of Lesser & to complicate matters S.A. has a Southern or Miombo Blue-eared Starling.

Delia, Blue-eared Glossy Starling could be Greater B-e G.S or Lesser B-e G.S. Do you have a link to an image of the bird? They can be separated on eye colour & subtle differences of the head feathering.

Hi Steve

No picture the link is here

it's in the middle of the Check-list.

D

I'll check this when I get home Delia. Our surgery computers have spam filters (or something else) which prevents me getting access to Opus & related links at work.

I'll check this when I get home Delia. Our surgery computers have spam filters (or something else) which prevents me getting access to Opus & related links at work.

No probs Steve

Thanks

D

Delia,
This would be Greater B-e G.S (Lamprotornis chalybaeus) which is quite common in the Serengeti.

Lesser B-e G. S (Lamprotornis chloropterus) is occasionally recorded in the Serengeti but is apparently very uncommon there. Hope this helps.
Best wishes,
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back