• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding New York (1 Viewer)

petectid

:hi: Going to New York on the 9th April and I'm hopeing to get as much birding in as I can, it may be a bit early but I,ve been doing a little research and found there are some good birds to be seen even at this time, it being quite early in the migration. Staying on the edge of Central Park opposite the Metropolitan Art Gallery, so I'll be spending quite a bit of time birding there, with a trip to Jamaica Bay and maybe Prospect Park in Brooklyn. Has anyone been birding there at this time or round abouts who as any info which will make my life easier, any New York birders on the forum who can make any recomendations for a good days birding (I will not have my own transport) that I can reach with ease. First trip to the States so most birds will be lifers.

hi pete - i suggest mainly sticking to central park - your right it is a bit early but still you should turn up a few early migrants - the place to check is www.nycbirdreport.com - has daily updates for what has been seen in central park and every few days has updates for the other main locations in the city. You'll find there isn't much diffferent being seen in prospect to central park - your better bet is to look at jamaica bay for an alternative. There are bird walks in central park and if you contact the people at nycbrdreport they will probably give you more advice. As well as the usual all year birds in the park by early April you may well find: Eastern Phoebe, Great Egret, BC Night Heron, Tree Swallow, Pine Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Palm Warbler, White Eyed Vireo, Blue Headed Vireo, Blue Winged Teal, Northern Rough Winged Swallow. To name but a few - a few nice days while your here could turn up some really good stuff. Hope this is a start - Luke

Cheers Luke thats really positive stuff and thanks for that link I will check it out and try and make some contacts for information, I am planning on a trip to Jamaica Bay as I think I will see birds there that I would'nt see in Central Park, I'm only there for five days so I may just stick to the two sites mentioned and play it by ear.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back