• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird of prey ID South West France (1 Viewer)

Jo and Jim

Hello, I am hoping some one could help us with this bird identification, we thought it was a Buzzard, a friend thought a Merlin and another friend thought a Booted Eagle, I have been in touch with the RSPB twice and both the people did not get back in touch with me.
I am living in south west France just over 1 hour north of the Pyrenees mountains, out in the country and we saw this bird come down into our mother hen and chicks run/pen, it was our cockerel who alerted us as he was making a right noise, and it was a good job we were in to see it happen and to help the bird, even though we had some netting over the chicken/chicks pen the bird still got in but then couldn't get back out and mother hen was attacking it, luckily the chicks were all fine and had run under and in the hutch, my partner had to quickly get into the pen to get the bird out, again, luckily no damage or any hurt was done, but I got a chance to run and get my camera to take these photos before we let it fly off and it flew off well no problems. It happened in the middle of the day so in broad day light, I have never seen a bird of prey so close up before. I hope some one can help with the photos I took.
Many thanks in advance from joandjim

002.jpg

003.JPG

Thank you

Thank you both for helping me, its nice to know what it is at long last, and I got a quick response which is great and I now know where to come to ask about birds etc. What a great web site and way to learn, best wishes to you from Jo and Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back