• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

TSN-2 improved image quality above 40x? (1 Viewer)

Mikenspike

I'm fairly new to the forum, without any experience in spotting scopes, but I did just buy a TSN-2 with the original 20-60x eyepiece. As I've read everywhere I've looked, the original 20-60x eyepiece isn't very sharp above 40x.

My uses for the TSN-2 (at present) are for verifying hits on paper while target shooting. I may never need better image quality beyond 40x, but if I decide I want a sharper image at 40x and beyond, what are my options?

I've recently read that the TSN-1 & TSN-2 are limited in what they can achieve above 40x, even with the evidently much improved Kowa TE-9Z 20-60x eyepiece? Is that accurate? Or could I get a much sharper omage out of my TSN-1 If I decide to buy the newer TE-9Z 20-60X?

Any thoughts and suggestions are very welcome, thanks

Mike A

Last edited:
Hi,

I would not recommend to get the current Kowa zoom or Opticron HDF or SDLv2 zooms for a TSN-1 or 2 (the normal glass variants). Yes, unlike the 80s vintage Kowa zoom, those are capable of quite sharp images beyond 40x, but the plain glass body will be limiting that too.

For birding with a TSN-1/2 I would recommend a 30x wide (either the old one with rubber eyecup or the current with twist up) which is very nice and the magnification is good for the plain glass bodies.
But for target shooting you don't really need a wide field, so unless you want to get into birding and the scope does what you need in its current configuration, I would not invest.
Or maybe into the 25x LER which seems to be specifically targeted at shooters as its long eye relief allows you to observe without getting your eye right up to the eyecup - but I have never used that one.

Joachim

Last edited:
"jring" makes a good point. I use a Kowa TSN4 with the Opticron SDL V2 and whist it works very well it is not at it's very best at higher magnifications. Certainly more than usable but without the Prominar element on your scope you may be disappointed.

There is a thread (link below) on compatibility which may help:

https://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=163110

I would suggest sticking to fixed, rather than zoom, eyepieces as they are generally sharper and cheaper at higher magnifications.

Last edited:
Ok thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Thinking about it, I actually tested a TSN-1 (angled version of TSN-2) alongside my TSN-3 some time ago when I met a lady with one on a birding trip - she had the old 80s vintage zoom and I had my 30 wide and also the SDLv2. The old zoom was as bad as my example, 30 wide was great and the SDLv2 was not quite as sharp at 53x as on my TSN-3. The lady wanted to buy my 30 wide - I declined but let her use it for the trip.

Joachim

They get a lot of chromatic aberration..I had a tsn1 with the zoom for a while, it was given to me,but was very soft with the old zoom,except at very low power..I also had a tsn4 around that time that was incredible,but i dont think i had the old zoom on that one,I forgot.(.maybe a 40x wide?),but the image was not comparable

You might try the higher power eyepieces for the old B&L Balscope Sr. if you aren’t wedded to a zoom. I think they should fit on the TSN-1. You can sometimes find them dirt cheap on auction sites. (At least I did a few years ago.) B&L made a 40x and a 60x. There seems now to be collector interest in these old scopes when formerly they could be had for near nothing. Depends on the seller and the asking prices. I would pick them up for student use because there were no budget monies from the state for spotting scopes and they are great teaching tools on field trips! The bigger problem was finding tripods.

Correcting myself. I may be thinking of the earlier Kowa TS-1. Someone who knows Kowa scopes better than I do should check my post for fact. I’m referring to screw mount eyepieces. Kowa May have made an adapter for the old screw mount eyepieces to newer scopes. My memory isn’t what it used to be... plus I’ve never owned a large Kowa scope; just a 50mm TS-9.

Last edited:
Hey Mike, Those are pretty good old Kowas.

Most competitive shooters tend to buy the newer TSN 821(M) and the 82SV Kowa is selling now. Both of those are pretty good but not really any different optically from your TSN-2. Only the eyepieces have really improved.

I own Kowa TSN-82SV and a TS-613. My brother who shoots on the AMU owns the TSN-821M...(He has an issue 77mm Kowa Prominar for official "use" but unless he's forced to use it, he drags out the old 821).

Pretty much every shooter I've encountered tends to use the 27xLER eyepiece. (Some you'll see marked 25xLER are actually 27X on the 80mm Kowas).

My advice is to give up the search for higher magnification with your TSN-2. I find all three I referenced to have way to much CA beyond 30x. a fixed 27x eyepiece will give a better view than your older zoom anyway.
The guys I know with top name spotters and zoom eyepeices generally keep them at lower settings because of mirage.

There are many on here that are truly optics experts (And I am not). But I have a good bit of experience shooting and looking through others spotters :) The Kowas are popular because of cost, ability to read mirage (real good, none better) and the 27xLER eyepieces are great for it. (You can wear shooting glasses etc).
The biggest downside is that they are very "fast" (focal length) and I find the focus adjustment a little too quick...

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back