• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wonder wondering the Wonders of Nature on the shore of the Mare Karelia and elsewhere (1 Viewer)

Trip to Norway and Lapland 27.6. – 7.7.2019 with family, part 3

At noon we crossed the border and I started to collect Norwegian ticks, which was totally new category for me. I had been in Norway once before, but it was somewhere late 70’s. You wouldn’t never guess what was my first Norwegian tick on those high mountains… so I tell you. It was little disappointingly a Common Gull. I was expecting Ptarmigan, Golden Eagle or Gyr Falcon. :smoke:3:)
There seemed to be very few birds in those mountains, but the weather wasn’t good either; rain more or less. I got my second tick when we landed down to sea shore; Oystercatcher, which eventually was one of the most usually seen birds during our visit in Norway.
We made little stop in Bjerkvik and during that I saw Magpies, Hooded Crows and Fieldfares.
When driving road E10 towards Tjeldsund Bridge, two Elks (Moose for Americans ;)) jumped to the road. I – and co drivers in other cars - had to stop for few minutes, cos the other Elk couldn’t decide whether she wanted to cross the road or not. Fortunately, all survived the incident without a scratch.
About 2 pm we crossed huge Tjelsund Bridge and arrived island of Hinnoya. Landscapes continued to improve – even though there was nothing to complain about those before. Although there was still water came from the sky, almost without a break, my Norwegian list continued improve as well – few to mention; Rough-legged Buzzard in Fortjord, White-tailed Eagles and Arctic Skua in Andoya.
With couple short stops we continued all the way up, until we were the most northern tip of Archipelago of Vesteralen, Andenes at 6.20 pm. We had a very nice apartment, which had a view of the breakwaters protected bay, whose shores and small islands were colonies of gulls and terns. Immediately I set up a telescope in front of one of the windows and started looking at the birds. Most of a gulls were Greater Black-backed Gulls and I think all the Terns were Arctic. But there was also my first lifer of the trip: Black-legged Kittiwake! On the bay was swimming Goosanders, Red-breasted Mergansers, Common Eiders and few fly by Great Cormorants. On our side of the bay was also White Wagtails, Northern Wheatears and of course Oystercatchers.
Meanwhile my wife cooked tuna pasta (that wonderful woman |:$|) and we ate that days first proper meal after breakfast in Kiruna. Fortunately, the rain was taking a break, so we went for an evening stroll to explore the small town of Andenes. We admired Kittiwakes nests on building roofs and walls. They have quite different voice than other gulls, almost like kittens meow... (I wonder are they named after that: kittens – Kitti??? :h?:) I managed to see a swimming Otter from the pier while watching the sea, but it disappeared as I began to cheer on my fellow travelers.
And then it was time to us disappeared too - to watch beautiful dreams. After first day my Norwegian list stood on 26 bird species and 2 mammals.

Next “morning” I wake up early, about 3.15 am. Sky was misty and rainy, but there wasn’t dark at all. I drove to Kleivodden view, where you can see island of Foroya, which is the best place to see Gannets from “mainland”, I had been told. When I get there it didn’t rain and I erect scope and started to watch birds. Indeed, there was Northern Gannets in island, and also Cormorants, Gulls, Black Guillemots and – Oystercatchers. I had been there only couple of minutes, when it started to rain. I escaped to the car and decided to drive further south towards Bleik and Stave, where I turn around and drove back. I saw and heard several Curlews and Common Snipes. Fieldfare seemed to be very common there and pretty common was also Redwing. Mornings nicest sight was Short-eared Owl who was sitting on rock by the road. Almost as nice was Ring Ouzel near Kleivodden when driving back. Another try at Kleivodden didn’t last much longer than first one – after 15 minutes it started rain again. There was a couple of Curlews on shore this time and few Pipits, which I didn’t recognized. I’d seen Meadow Pipit before on that morning in a few places – also on the shoreline - so I thought maybe these were also Mipits.
The clock was only half past five, but the rain bored me and I decided to go back to our accommodation.

Attachments

• abdbP1170257.jpg
    abdbP1170257.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 16
  • abdbP1170269.jpg
    abdbP1170269.jpg
    351.2 KB · Views: 19
  • abdbP1170490.jpg
    abdbP1170490.jpg
    222.1 KB · Views: 13
  • abdbP1170545.jpg
    abdbP1170545.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 13
  • abdbP1170561.jpg
    abdbP1170561.jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 17
Trip to Norway and Lapland 27.6. – 7.7.2019 with family, part 4

On that Sunday was to be the absolute highlight of our journey. At least if Thor and the other gods of the weather would be favourable to us. We had booked tickets for the whale safari. None of us had never seen before any whales, not even dolphins or porpoises, so we were all very excited.
Tour in Andenes Whale museum started 9.30 am and it was nice, but we were already looking forward to getting on the safari at 11 am, as scheduled. The weather was not ideal and soon the captain announced that due to the strong wind we would not be able to leave on time. :-C However, the wind was expected to calm down after noon, so the departure was delayed for a couple of hours, after which the situation would be looked at again.

So, we had a couple of hours to spend and after huge cinnamon rolls and cup of coffee, I took the family in Kleivodden view. Gannets were gone, but now I manage to take video from pipit and this time I nail it for Rock Pipit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtvwwwlnFas&list=PLQ9t8zFqZv05hGY4MUDeaghfMEWz1FNoa&index=18&t=0s

At 1 pm the captain of the whale safari announced that the voyage to sea would be realized – Yippee!:-O
About 15 minutes after start I got lifer when Puffin swam beside the boat. After another 15 minutes I got another lifer - Northern Fulmar. But the main thing, whales we had to wait longer. We had told that in summertime the mostly seen whale is Sperm Whale and if we are very lucky we can see also Harbour Porpoises or/and Orcas. At 14.41 pm long and eagerly awaited whales were found, but they were not Sperm Whales but Orcas. Amazing moment.B :) We watched the Orcas over an hour, but the bigger or smaller relatives did not appeared. Soon after first Orcas I got one lifer more – Great Skua.

Attachments

• abdaP1180109.jpg
    abdaP1180109.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 23
  • abdaP1180250.jpg
    abdaP1180250.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 21
  • abdaP1180307.jpg
    abdaP1180307.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 19
  • abdaP1190432.jpg
    abdaP1190432.jpg
    236.7 KB · Views: 23
  • abdaP1190512.jpg
    abdaP1190512.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 19
Trip to Norway and Lapland 27.6. – 7.7.2019 with family, part 5

Here’s some pics from Orcas and one short video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXJf8VoUkiw&feature=youtu.be

We were back on shore at 4.30 pm and started to drive trough Lofoten side of archipelago. On the way to Kabelvåg, I didn’t saw anything special. Only that I make my only Norwegian observation from Wood Pigeon in Sigerfjord.

Attachments

• abcdP1180093.jpg
    abcdP1180093.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 14
  • abcdP1180136.jpg
    abcdP1180136.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 14
  • abcdP1180375.jpg
    abcdP1180375.jpg
    406.3 KB · Views: 14
  • abcdP1190185.jpg
    abcdP1190185.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 12
  • abcdP1190325.jpg
    abcdP1190325.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 13
Trip to Norway and Lapland 27.6. – 7.7.2019 with family, part 6

On 1st July in Kabelvåg I slept long and woke up at 7-ish. Forecasts showed that the whole day would be gray, rainy and windy. So, after good breakfast (which would have served whale meat too - which of course we didn't even taste) we drove down smaller roads and explored some beaches – After all, we were on holiday. No matter what the weather was. 3:)
Soon we found ourselves from Unstad which is very popular beach among surfers. This time there was only two brave surfers. We put our rain clothes on, but soon I realized that the rain poncho didn't really protect from horizontally rain at all. The wind lifted my poncho in my ears and I fled into the car as a chicken. The wife and son were better equipped and enjoyed the beach for half an hour.
We went to a few other beaches where the wind was not so strong and even the rain took sometimes a break. Have I already mention that Lofoten Archipelago is absolutely amazing place? Steep mountains grow straight out of the turquoise sea, where you can see deep down several meters. And the beaches are white sand. If the sun was shining and it would have been about twenty to thirty degrees more warm you would have thought you were on an island in the Caribbean.
When we were hungry enough, we drove to city of Henningsvaer – Very beautiful, very good food -and very expensive.

Without actually looking for birds, I saw 23 species on that day. Best one was Lesser Black-backed Gull, which I first saw in Skifjorden (1st photo is from there). I’m not definite what subspecies the LBBG’s are in Lofoten, intermedius or graellsii. Maybe some of you can tell me that?
Later in the evening I take this video from Hotel rooms window (I think it’s a intermedius): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74rZfS0iSjU&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• abccP1190833.jpg
    abccP1190833.jpg
    390.3 KB · Views: 15
  • abccP1200180.jpg
    abccP1200180.jpg
    410.8 KB · Views: 15
  • abccP1200314.jpg
    abccP1200314.jpg
    402.2 KB · Views: 16
  • abccP1200414.jpg
    abccP1200414.jpg
    453 KB · Views: 15
  • abccP1200793.jpg
    abccP1200793.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 16
Next day we drove as South as it is possible to drive in Lofoten - small village of Å. There was nice cliffs where Kittiwakes and Shags were nesting. This was just a second time I saw the Shags, so naturally I was pretty excited. (First time was in Croatia couple of years ago). There was also Eiders and one Arctic Skua. I noticed that Painted Ladies were flown as far north also. This individual (2nd photo) had already seen hers/his best days…
At Ramberg beach I got couple of Norwegian ticks, Ringed Plover and Green-winged Teal, and somewhere in Island of Moskenoya Greylag Goose. In shallow bay near Leknes was Common Shelduck.

Next morning was our last in Norway, so I woke up early and went to the Kabelvåg’s breakwater to scope to the sea. There was nothing special to see. Just that Mipits behaved just like Rock Pipits (Ripits???) 3:) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rr5rYD9HmdQ&list=PLQ9t8zFqZv05hGY4MUDeaghfMEWz1FNoa&index=21&t=0s
Anyway, the so-called sunrise was beautiful (third photo).

I decided to go walk on the woods at West side of the city and it really was worth it. On the forest edge were Pied Flycatchers, Siskins, Greenfinches, Willow Warblers, Chiffchaffs and juvenile Twites, which were quite difficult to ID. Luckily, I got few messy photos of them.
I followed one path and saw Reed Buntings, Tree Pipits, Chaffinches, Redshanks and Common Snipes. Then I heard weird sound, but soon my gray brain cells started to work and I realized that somewhere nearby there was either a Red-necked Grebe or a Red-throated Diver. When one flew over me, I realized that it was the latter. Then I heard there was more of them - Somewhere near and they didn’t fly. I was thrilled. I had never seen them so close up. I proceeded on crouch through the bushes towards the sound source. After about hundred meter I came to the pool and there they were – 3 RtD’s! :D I landed on my knee behind bushes that they couldn’t see me. There was also couple of Common Gulls and they were seen me right – I could heard that. Divers looked pretty alarmed, but they calmed down soon. There was one Red-breasted Merganser too with the Divers. And I just admired those beautiful and primitive birds… and took hundred photos and few videos. B :)https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfsEqOlJKHo&list=PLQ9t8zFqZv05hGY4MUDeaghfMEWz1FNoa&index=21
After about half an hour I crouched quietly away. Sad but true - It was time to go breakfast.

At 9.20 am, we started long drive to the North. Before we left the archipelago I got two more ticks: Bullfinch sat on fence by the roadside and when we were on small coffee break, I heard familiar song nearby from bush middle of a field – It was Sedge Warbler!
On Continent we were 12.35 pm. In Hilleshamn I saw Cockoo (which is always nice) and at near Moen was one rest-stop, where I manage to see my last Norwegian ticks: Tufted Duck and Merlin.

At 19.00 pm (Norwegian time) we crossed the border in Kilpisjarvi, and we were back in homeland. At almost immediately we saw reindeers by the roadside, but none in Norway – which was little strange.

Attachments

• abcbP1200522.jpg
    abcbP1200522.jpg
    694.5 KB · Views: 13
  • abcbP1200663.jpg
    abcbP1200663.jpg
    514 KB · Views: 15
  • abcbP1210042.jpg
    abcbP1210042.jpg
    223.9 KB · Views: 13
  • abcbP1210135.jpg
    abcbP1210135.jpg
    522.3 KB · Views: 16
  • abcbP1210166.jpg
    abcbP1210166.jpg
    416.2 KB · Views: 18
Enjoyed the story about the Red-throated Divers - reminded me of one of my more memorable birding moments of a few years ago. Sounds like you had a good trip.

Trip to Norway and Lapland 27.6. – 7.7.2019 with family, part 8

We stayed at Kilpisjarvi. On 4th July, I woke up 4 am and went to Saana Nature trail. When I climbed up to the treeline, I found myself in the clouds. Also, the wind was very strong. My main targets were Red Grouse and Ptarmigan, but the gods weren't on my side. I walked on tunturipaljakka (=bare mountain region) and lower birch bushes over 3 hours and 7,64 km. There were only few birds: Redwing sang, so did Willow Warblers and Bramblings. In tunturipaljakka was only two Meadow Pipits. When I came down, I saw nice singing Bluethroat, Great Tits, Hooded Crows, Magpies, House Sparrows and Redpolls. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYojEeCQi9Y&feature=youtu.be

After breakfast we all three decided that we climb to the top of Saana. But above treeline the weather was same, so instead we walked on lower tunturipaljakka couple of hours. This time I manage to saw also Northern Wheatear, Rough-legged Buzzard and three Reindeers.
Even, there wasn’t much of a birdlife up there (but the fog and the wind were very present) we really enjoyed it. Must get there some other time – hopefully when weather will be clearer.

We left from Kilpisjarvi at 12.20 pm to the South. We made a couple of short stops - some to eat, some to watch the birds (there was mostly the usual stuff). After 430 km, at 19.45 pm we were in Luosto, where we slept next two nights. But more of that next time...

Attachments

• abcaP1210334.jpg
    abcaP1210334.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 21
  • abcaP1210436.jpg
    abcaP1210436.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 17
  • abcaP1210377.jpg
    abcaP1210377.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 20
  • abcaP1210484.jpg
    abcaP1210484.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 19
  • abcaP1210488.jpg
    abcaP1210488.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 20
Trip to Norway and Lapland 27.6. – 7.7.2019 with family, part 9

On 5th July we drove from Luosto to Pyhä, and there we walked one of the many alternative nature paths. The route we chose was 7.5 km long and it took us 3.5 hours. However, we also have time to sit by the campfire and grill sausages.

On walk I manage to ID 19 species. Definitely the best one was Siberian Jay, that I had last seen at 19 years ago in Kuusamo. They are so fearless and curious, absolutely fantastic birds. I also saw there trips first Common Redstarts, Yellow Wagtails and Parrot Crossbills.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmhiGxCX1Og&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• abbdP1210598.jpg
    abbdP1210598.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 18
  • abbdP1210616.jpg
    abbdP1210616.jpg
    601 KB · Views: 25
  • abbd20190705_135115.jpg
    abbd20190705_135115.jpg
    669.2 KB · Views: 37
  • abbdP1210670.jpg
    abbdP1210670.jpg
    335.2 KB · Views: 29
  • abbdP1210803.jpg
    abbdP1210803.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 18
Trip to Norway and Lapland 27.6. – 7.7.2019 with family, part 10

On 6th July it was again time to wake up early and do some serious birding...;) When I drove to Pelkosenniemi after 5 am, I saw 5 Mountain Hares and 2 Capercaillies, both cocks. They were my first ones for years, so my expectations grew pretty high for that morning. B :)
I should have known better… Those Capers remained the best sightings of the day. I walked two hours in Kilpiaapa (Swamp). Wooden trails were pretty bad shape. In one point, I almost made U-turn, but I decided to go on even I had to walk those rotten woods which sank five inches into the swamp and my feet got all wet.
At the end of the trail was an observation tower, where I watched for a while. I was expecting to see Peregrines and Broad-billed Sandpipers. Instead, I did saw Hooded Crows, Whooper Swans, Cranes (a lot), Herring Gulls, Magpies, Willow Warblers, Song Thrushes, Redwings, Yellow Wagtails, Chaffinches, Bramblings, Greenfinches, Reed Buntings and some Cricetidae, but it was too quick to ID. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fjo7WaWMYNE&feature=youtu.be

After my “swamp thing”, I drove back to Luosto, ate breakfast and collect my family to car. The rest of the day went for droving to Kuusamo and floating in the warm waters of the spa.

Next morning I visited at Torankijarvi, next to Kuusamo. I had a great morning, even I didn’t saw anything really great. Anyway, I got 6 new trip ticks: Little Gull, Sand Martin (I counted 49 individuals from telephone wires and many were on air), Great Crested and Red-necked Grebes, Black-throated Diver and Blue Tit:eek!:. Also there was one very showy Smew-mother. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2vCI25QRIw&feature=youtu.be

Our bank accounts started to look like it was time to go home. At 11.50 am we started from Kuusamo and 731 km later, at 22.20 pm we were at home.
In total, we had covered 4315 km in 11 days. I had identified 107 bird species and 6 Mammal species (+ at least 2 Cricetidae, who remained unidentified species level. Also, I counted Reindeer here, even it isn’t exactly “Wild species”)
In Finland I saw 78, in Norway 67 and in Sweden 17 bird sp.

Lofoten and Vesterålen archipelagos in Norway are amazing places and I recommend everyone to do birding trips there (instead of - or in connection with the Varang Fjord).
Also Finnish Lapland is great place and in future, I must go there more often.

Attachments

• abbcP1210829.jpg
    abbcP1210829.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 24
  • abbcP1220006.jpg
    abbcP1220006.jpg
    285.1 KB · Views: 20
  • abbcP1220047.jpg
    abbcP1220047.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 16
  • abbcP1220135.jpg
    abbcP1220135.jpg
    150.4 KB · Views: 29
  • abbcP1220365.jpg
    abbcP1220365.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 20
After the trip, I've been watching the birds only occasionally. The summer break from birdwatching has become a bit of an annual habit between the intense spring and the fall.
The same day we came home from the trip, one guy found Gray Wagtail on creek in Pyhtaa. At the next evening I drove there. There were three men, one of whom I knew. He said that the bird had appeared briefly about an hour earlier. It seemed that this GW would not be so easy as was my first Finnish GW in Jarvenpaa last summer (15 seconds from arriving on that place, I had seen it). After half an hour other guys left. I stayed there an other half an hour, but no sign of a GW. I decided to came again at the next morning.
And so I did. This time there wasn’t anyone else. After 15 minutes GW came from somewhere - apparently under the bridge - sat on the rock for ten seconds, then disappeared behind the grass and I could not see it again. Even so, I was happy ‘cos it was a Year tick and also my first GW in Kymenlaakso.

Next time I was after the birds was 25th July, when my friend asked me to join him for a boating in the archipelago off Pyhtaa (on Mare Karelia). It was nice sunny day – even too nice for birds – so we didn’t see as many waders as we would have seen if the weather had been worse.
As allways the Razorbills and Black Guillemots were wonderful to see. You just have to love them, when they fly to say hello to you as you approach their islands. o:) Also we saw lots of Gulls, Terns and Cormorants and one moulting Long-tailed Duck. From waders we saw Common Sandpiper (of course), Wood Sandpipers, maybe ten Dunlins (sadly our only Calidris), few Common Redshanks, 5 Greenshanks, 2 Ringed Plover, one Ruddy Turnstone (which was days only Year tick for me) and one Whimbrel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK2mhYzak5w&feature=youtu.be

Attachments

• abbbP1230407.jpg
    abbbP1230407.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 20
  • abbbP1230816.jpg
    abbbP1230816.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 18
  • abbbP1230647.jpg
    abbbP1230647.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 19
  • abbbP1230657.jpg
    abbbP1230657.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 22
  • abbbP1240073.jpg
    abbbP1240073.jpg
    820.4 KB · Views: 20
On July 30th I got WhatsApp message that if I’m really quick there would be in Hovinsaari the Barred Warbler that flew in the ringers net. Luckily I was home and jump on my bike and in one moment I was there. Just in time to watch the ringer took BW from bag and put the ring on its leg. Previously I had seen that bird two times and then only far and shortly. Nice bird indeed! And Year tick + Eco tick too. B :) I cycled home, more slowly and managed to see 6 Grey Herons, one Great Egret and couple of Wood Sandpipers and Greenshanks.

At August so far, I have two markings on my observation notebook (is there any better expression for it?):
3rd August – Caspian Tern from yard
and 12th August – Red-backed Shrike for Eco tick on the way home from work.

But there is something to wait… Tomorrow we go to Estonia where we take part in the Estonia Open -Bird Rally.

http://www.estbirding.ee/uudised/li...tse-invitation-to-birdrace-estonian-open-2019

Attachments

• abbbP1230938.jpg
    abbbP1230938.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 18
  • abbbIMG_2005.jpg
    abbbIMG_2005.jpg
    386 KB · Views: 19
  • abbbIMG_2015.jpg
    abbbIMG_2015.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 16
  • abbbIMG_2110.jpg
    abbbIMG_2110.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 14
  • abbbIMG_2138.jpg
    abbbIMG_2138.jpg
    509.4 KB · Views: 15
16. – 17.8. Estonia

Last Saturday competed Estonia Open -Bird Rally with 18 teams. Our team finished in shared sixth place with 111 species. 3rd place was only 5 birds away and the 4th just 2 birds away. However, the two top teams were so tough that we wouldn't have had any chance of catching them – even with better luck.
Morning started well when we heard eg. Tawny Owl (total 5), Pygmy Owl (total 11!), Grey Partridge and Corncrake. At sunrise we got from the northern shore of Lake Võrts eg. Golden Oriole, Cuckoo, Caspian Tern and Temminck’s Stint. Near city of Viljandi we got Gray-headed Woody and two Phoenicurus-species. After that, our speed slowed down and we went the wrong way a couple of times. Wood Warbler, Spotted Nutcracker, White-backed Woody, Penduline Tit and Red-breasted Flycatcher made us cheered up again. Nuthatches were absolutely everywhere and they were noisy. At noon began to appear raptors, when air gets warmer. At first we saw Hobby and young White-tailed Eagle, then dozens of Buzzards, few Honey Buzzards, Marsh Harriers, one Hen Harrier and two Lesser Spotted Eagles. From smaller predators we saw Merlin and Sprawk and kind of BOP also: one Great Gray Shrike. But the days real king was Kingfisher – Lifer for me! B :) We maintained a fairly good pace almost to the end. In the last hours the best species were Black Tern, Long-tailed Tit, Marsh Tit and Lesser Spotted Woody. Just one minute after the race ended, we saw Icterine Warbler - It was a little painful…
But Rallying was really fun (as usually) and I was lucky that two excellent birders took me to team with them.

The race results are here: http://www.estbirding.ee/uudised/li...-2019-tulemused-results-of-estonian-open-2019

Next morning we drove to the West-Coast but there was very little migration. After couple of places we drove to thee North-West Estonia and there were quite nice numbers of birds, eg. over hundred White Storks on thermal in Lihula, 380 Cranes on one field – all adults. There was young Peregrine on same field. One of the beaches were several waders: Lapwings, Ringed Plovers, couple of Grey Plovers, Curlews, Ruffs and one Bar-tailed Godwit. Also there was Sandwich Terns, which I had seen before only in Andalucia.

We sleeped last night in nice hotel in Dirhami. Our Last morning in Estonia we went watch migration to Põõsaspea Point. There was also several Sandwich Terns and maybe hundred – mostly young – Black-headed Gulls. Most numerous migrators were Black and Velvet Scoters. Also we saw several Anas-species, some Black-throated Divers and Red-necked Grebes. White Wagtails and Barn Swallows had clearly began to migration.

We made few stops in fields when drove to Muuga Harbour and manage to saw two Nutcrackers and two White-winged Crossbill! (These were my first WwC’s after I got lifer from it on my garden last year.) On the fields were also hundreds of Lapwings and Starlings and few Golden Plovers.

Before this trip I had 74 species from Estonia. After the trip I have 140 Estonian ticks. So I almost doubled my ticks there.

Attachments

• abbaP1240415.jpg
    abbaP1240415.jpg
    269.9 KB · Views: 16
  • abbaP1240718.jpg
    abbaP1240718.jpg
    392.1 KB · Views: 16
  • abbaP1240740.jpg
    abbaP1240740.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 12
  • abbaP1250245.jpg
    abbaP1250245.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 17
  • abbaP1250510.jpg
    abbaP1250510.jpg
    357.1 KB · Views: 15
September

I've done mostly close distant trips and most of those with bike. (OK. Mostly I've been inside of four walls and a roof - at home and at work, but maybe you got the picture...)

During September, I received four year ticks - so total is 201 for now. 9 more and I'm in a target. Last year I got 3 species during October to December - So, not looking good at all... :eek!:

My Eco tick situation is 137 for now (3 more during September), so I'm sure that I've already lost this game (Target was 160). :-C

On Yard ticks (68 now) I have small chances to break old record 72, but I'm gonna need luck - a lot. Target was 75 and if I'm really, really, really lucky, I get there. :smoke:

So far I've got four (Finnish) lifers in this year. Target was ten... Do I need to say more? :gn:

September's funniest coincidence happened while we were collecting mushrooms. Fortunately, I had the camera with me, so I was able to capture more than just "memory pictures" of playing hawks. On sunny forest edge, just before sun set, were one Kestrel, three Hen Harriers and two Buzzards. It seemed as the Harriers had deliberately teased the others. 3:)

Attachments

• abadIMG_2261.jpg
    abadIMG_2261.jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 24
  • abadIMG_2317.jpg
    abadIMG_2317.jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 26
  • abadIMG_2377.jpg
    abadIMG_2377.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 23
  • abadIMG_2416.jpg
    abadIMG_2416.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 21
  • abadP1260157.jpg
    abadP1260157.jpg
    226.7 KB · Views: 28
October to December

2019 had gone, so it's time to look at how I manage to get my targets.

Whether had been very warm (between +7...-7 Celsius degrees) and local landscape is still snowless.

By the end of the year, I just broke my last year's Finland Year tick record (which was 207) with 208 species. Last ticks were Northern Hawk Owl and Asio sp (90 % sure it was Short-eared Owl) at 29th December. - Target was 210.

New lifers from Finland I got only 3 + 3 (New species world wide + New ticks from Finland). Target was 10.

At 2018 I get 152 Eco ticks and 2019 target was 160. Eventually I manage to get 148. :-C Still... Siberian Tit in almost neighborhoods cheer me up a lot. It is very possible that I will never get this species an eco tick again.

On Yard ticks I did a new record: 76! B :) - Target was 75.

This Years (2020) targets are:

Year ticks - 220 :)eek!:)
Lifers (from Finland) - 10 (It's a nice round number)
Eco ticks - 160 (I must do more biking trips than last year)
Yard ticks - Lets say 80... 3:)

About photos:
Raven and part of my hometown at a background was taken at October Big Day which was October 5th in Finland.
Cattle Egret is very rare visitor in Finland. I drove an hour and a half to Mäntsälä to see it.
It was good autumn for Rowan berries, which means that it has been good autumn/winter for Waxwings and Fieldfares too.
The last photo shows the last new species of the year.

Attachments

• aaabIMG_2475.jpg
    aaabIMG_2475.jpg
    192.9 KB · Views: 21
  • aaabIMG_2599.jpg
    aaabIMG_2599.jpg
    510.7 KB · Views: 19
  • aaabP1260730.jpg
    aaabP1260730.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 17
  • aaabP1260844.jpg
    aaabP1260844.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 18
  • aaabP1270452.jpg
    aaabP1270452.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 21
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back