• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wales (1 Viewer)

wintibird

André Weiss
Opus Editor
Attached a map of Wales I worked out together with Delia. Is there anything to add or change before we put it in the relevant article?

André

Attachments

• cymru.jpg
    cymru.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 104
Thanks André. It looks good to me... we'll see what input others have.

Areas such as Snowdonia and Brecon Beacons National Park, can be mentioned in the relevant part of the article's text I think.

D

It would be useful to include Bardsey Island (or rather Ynys Enlli - the 'island of currents') as half the species on the national list seem to come form there.

Good Birding

Andrew

Here is a few i know willing to be corrected though,
Wrexham=Wrecsam.
Colwyn bay = Colwyn Chyfarth,
Anglesey = Ynys Mon
Barmouth,=Abermo
Aberystwyth= aberystwyth
Swansea=Abertawe
Cardiff,= Caerdydd
Newport= Cas Newydd

I just had a look at the Opus article on Wales and I noticed that Point of AIR is still being spelled as Point of AYR. The area always was, and still is, the point of Air. Point of Ayr was the name of the colliery, and was a mis-spelling, that the RSPB and others have continued to perpetuate!
Chris

Hi Chris

You are probably quite correct in the history of the name... however as it is an RSPB reserve and that is how they spell it, I feel that spelling should remain in Opus... even the Ordnance Survey use that spelling. (NB this is my view only).

Googling, the only reference to "Air" is the Dee Estuary Birdwatching site. So thanks for bringing it up - I'll link that website to the article.

I'll set up a re-direct though for the other spelling.

D

Here is a few i know willing to be corrected though,
Wrexham=Wrecsam.
Colwyn bay = Colwyn Chyfarth,
Anglesey = Ynys Mon
Barmouth,=Abermo
Aberystwyth= aberystwyth
Swansea=Abertawe
Cardiff,= Caerdydd
Newport= Cas Newydd

I can do that on the map but it will make reading the map more difficult. I would suggest to keep the map as simple as possible. How about just to put the Welsh names where Welsh is widely spoken? (Ynys Mon, Abermo, Colwyn Chyfarth)

André

If I as a potential visitor were to purchase a map of the area (or get one from the car rental company), which names would be on that map? That is what we should mirror, I think.

Niels

Does anyone actually classify Pembrokeshire as 'South Wales' - for me, it is 'West Wales', same with the local tourist boards, etc.

I would put Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire as West Wales, the remaining as South Wales.

Somewhere on the map, the following phrase should be inserted...

"tresbaswyr cartref Ewch Saesneg"

Don't swear!;)

I would put Pembrokeshire, Ceredigion and Carmarthenshire as West Wales, the remaining as South Wales.

I did think about that, but for the number of articles currently covering Wales, I feel the 3 basic areas will suffice. The map can always change if/when more articles are added.

After all, we've just got the 3 for Scotland!

D

Does anyone actually classify Pembrokeshire as 'South Wales' - for me, it is 'West Wales', same with the local tourist boards, etc.

Somewhere on the map, the following phrase should be inserted...

As long as it is only Saesneg I don't care being Swiss;)
The tree regions are to organise the Opus articles a bit so they are maybe not the same as used. But of course it's no problem to include Western Wales.
I apologize to the Irish Sea but the colours are meant to be well readable also for colour-blinds.

André

Cheers Andre, I can tell you that you have made one color challenged member happy with that map, I can read everything nice and clearly.
On the subject of having Welsh names on the map, I was under the impression that it was BirdForum policy to have all posts etc in English, so as Opus is part of BF everything should be in English.

Most probably English, Welsh is hardly spoken anymore.
I believe that the welsh language is still going strong however in the Anglisised parts of Wales which is quite a lot i would admit it has died out a lot which i think is a shame because the first language in Wales should be Welsh( in my opinion) the same as English is the main language in England and French is in France etc etc,
Cymru Am Byth,
Nigel.:C

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back