• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

68 year old Zeiss U-Boat binos.... value? (1 Viewer)

Bob A (SD)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...oments-crew-surrendered-end-World-War-11.html

article-0-199A52CA000005DC-277_306x330.jpg

Resurfacing after 68 years: The binoculars taken from a U-boat commander moments after crew surrendered at the end of World War 11

By Daily Mail Reporter

PUBLISHED: 05:39 EST, 4 May 2013 | UPDATED: 05:50 EST, 4 May 2013

A British naval officer stands proudly displaying round his neck a pair of binoculars taken from a sullen U-boat commander moments after he surrendered.

Now the German Zeiss binoculars have surfaced 68 years later as a valuable antique.

Lieutenant Bill Elliott was pictured on the conning tower of the submarine wearing the newly-acquired binoculars while their defeated German owner glumly looks on behind him.

He boarded the the U-249 after it sailed into Weymouth, Dorset at the end of World War Two.

Lt Elliott wrote in the vessel's visitor's book of his 'great pleasure' at being the first British seaman to board the captured U-boat.

Both the binoculars and the book were handed down to his son Tony Elliot, who also went to to serve in the Royal Navy and became a commodore before retiring.

Cdre Elliott used the trusty German binoculars throughout his navy career and even relies on them today while sailing his private yacht.

He took them along with the book to BBC's Antiques Roadshow. and was told by Roadshow expert Graham Lay that the German Ziess binoculars were the best ever built.

They were issued in 1943 to Oberleutnant Uwe Kock who was the commander of U-249, which shot down a British Mosquito plane in 1944, killing its navigator.

On May 9, 1945 all German submarine commanders were instructed to surrender and U-249 arrived in Weymouth Bay, Dorset, the following day.

Lt Elliott was ordered to take the surrender and command of the submarine.

He signed the visitors' book: 'This submarine surrendered to the Royal Navy in Weymouth Bay on May 10, 1945. As first British commanding officer I have the greatest pleasure in signing the visitors' book.'

Cdre Elliott, 68, from Monmouth, said: 'The first thing he liberated was this lovely pair of binoculars from Commander Kock as well as the visitors' book.

'He must have put them round his neck almost immediately as the photograph shows him and Kock on the conning tower in Weymouth Bay.

'He used the binoculars for the rest of his navy career and when he died I inherited them and used them for the remainder of my career at sea.
Antique: BBC's Antiques Roadshow expert Graham Lay told Commander Tony Elliot that the German Ziess binoculars were the best ever built

Antique: BBC's Antiques Roadshow expert Graham Lay told Commander Tony Elliot that the German Ziess binoculars were the best ever built

'I still use them today when I am out on my yacht. They are fantastic and have the most incredible optics.'

Mr Lay said: "' love Second World War binoculars because in my view they're some of the best binoculars ever built.

'They're incredibly bright. They're a fixed focus so you can't focus them. There is an adjustment for each eye piece. It is a very unusual find.'

The binoculars are due to feature on the Antiques Roadshow this Sunday.

From the picture shown in the link it looks like 2 binoculars were "liberated." The grinning sailor on the right has one and the guy in the suit wearing the helmet on has one.

Bob

Last edited:
The 8x60 Zeiss UBoat glass is usually worth several thousand dollars at auction, way above what other excellent glasses such as the 7x50 Zeiss fetches. Collectors prize authenticity, so the clear provenance of this glass and its unrestored condition should add to its value.

Hello all,

The 8x60 binocular was noted for the use of aspherical glass elements in the eyepieces, which were handmade. Supposedly, the view was unequalled by any contemporary binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Last edited:
Hello all,

This binocular was noted for the use of aspherical glass elements in the eyepieces, which were handmade. Supposedly, the view was supposedly unequalled by any contemporary binocular.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :scribe:

Zeiss did note that these glasses were 'the top of the flagpole' technically.
They could not make them better.
The Hans Seeger monograph 'Military Binoculars and Telescopes' covers these in detail and honors them with a place on the front cover.

Zeiss did note that these glasses were 'the top of the flagpole' technically.
They could not make them better.
The Hans Seeger monograph 'Military Binoculars and Telescopes' covers these in detail and honors them with a place on the front cover.

The 7x50 blc is good (from 0- 100 - about 50 ) but not very good vs a 8x60.
I have had 2 of these 7x50 , but both is sold and I will never buy one later on.
I do even prefer to use a zeiss EDF 7x40 vs a blc 7x50 uboat.

The 7x50 blc is good (from 0- 100 - about 50 ) but not very good vs a 8x60.
I have had 2 of these 7x50 , but both is sold and I will never buy one later on.
I do even prefer to use a zeiss EDF 7x40 vs a blc 7x50 uboat.

Hm. Interesting. My own experience with the 7x50 is limited, but the one I had a chance to look through had excellent optics. That was in 1980, mind you, but at the time I thought it beat all the other binoculars I knew quite easily. But then I don't know the 8x60, although I had a look through the 8x60H. I must say, that 8x60H (in mint condition, never opened and absolutely clean, like the 7x50 blc) was quite incredible. I don't know U-Boat version of the 8x60.

BTW, I once missed a 8x60H in good condition on Ebay. The person who sold it didn't really know what it was and the photos weren't exactly good. Unfortunately two collectors also noticed what it was ... I stopped bidding half an hour before the end when the price went within minutes from 250 to well over 1500 euros.

Hermann

I missed the Antiques Roadshow Sunday when these binocs were to be discussed. Anyone catch it? If so how much did they appraise the binocs for?

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back