• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zeiss Camera adapter (1 Viewer)

Ackley

Hi

I am only new to the bird watching, and have bought myself a Zeiss Diascope 85 angled. Now I have a Nikon 8700 digital camera that I want to use with this spotting scope.

The big question is.. what adapter do I use???? There is a Zeiss "photo adapter" and also a "quick camera adapter".

With the quick "camera adapter", the camera just looks down the eyepiece which I would believe give you a circle image in the centre with black around it?

The "photo adapter" removes the eyepiece and attaches straight to the Zeiss body and the camera.

AAHhhhh. Which one?? Does the "photo adapter lose its zoom power with the camera???

Thank you for any assistance you can give me

Ackley

Hi Ackley,
Welcome to birdforum from all the staff here, we hope you enjoy the site.

The Zeiss 'photo adapter' is for use with SLR/DSLR cameras and replaces the eyepiece, so it's not relevant for yourself (it just turns the scope into an 800mm lens)

The Zeiss quick camera adapter is the item that you should be considering, this fits between scope and tripod head and is an adjustable bracket that holds the camera up to the eyepiece via the camera's tripod socket.

I think your main problem is your camera, the cp8700 really isn't any good for digiscoping... sorry. Consider a Canon 'A' series, the A95 is proving popular, also a variety of other cameras can be used... with the Zeiss quick adapter, you won't have to worry too much about lens thread adapters and the like... just stick the camera on the zeiss adapter and adjust so that the camera lens doesn't hit the eyepiece at it's maximum extension.

cheers,
Andy

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back