• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Rawshooter and Canon 400D raw files: problems? Solution! (1 Viewer)

Raw Shooter Essentials vs Raw Shooter Premium

Hello all.....Mike from Maine.

found this site looking for a solution to the 40D/Raw Shooter solution. I am able to change RS Essentials using a hex editor, but RS Premium is a whole different story. No where in the file is there any "obvious" mention (text) of any of the cameras that it supports. My guess is that it is encrypted (read: using other symbols and/or letters to represent the camera models). If anyone has any idea on how to convert Raw shooter Premium, and they would be willing to share, that would be great.

Thanks, Mike

coupla birds: http://www.pbase.com/nidoba/nature

Keith, I must be a bit thick this morning, but what program is RSE is it Rawshooter my version can't see the files.I am having a heck of a job to find any software that will work with the 40D raw files. The programs that won't work are Capture One pro, Rawshooter won't, Lightroom is so slow I can make a drink while it load the files the same with every move of the sliders. Bridge is about the only one that will work but have to convert before doing any editing.

I am having no difficulty in opening 40D RAW files with either Capture One or Photoshop CS3. In fact Capture One can be a pain in the ****, as it opens them when I want to open in CS3. If I click on a 40D CR2 (i.e. RAW) photo it automatically opens in Capture One within a few seconds, without my having opened Capture One!

I have finally got it working OK. The problem was with the editor software I was using, I finally tried PSPad and that worked fine.

Using the 'PSPad' editor you have to set it to search for '350' and 'text' not 'symbol'. (I know it sounds obvious but it caught me out) Then as it searches the right hand column where the symbols are (not the code on the left), it will find 350D in the right-hand section.
Change the 350 to 400 and it will alter the code automatically. Keep searching and each time it finds 350 replace with 400 (even '350S' must be changed to '400S' or it won't work) It found 5 items to be changed on mine, but just keep searching until it says 'string not found'.
Then save and close. It should now work OK.

I think you are right Mark, for the 40D just search for 20D and replace the 20 with 40 each time.

Mine now reads my .CR2 files from the 20D, 5D and .DNG files from the wife's 400D after they have been converted from .CR2.

Adrian -

I have searching for a hack for RawShooter Premium and found your post. I am using PSPad on the executable image but when I use Search (Find) and check the "As Text" box, I still do not find 350 or 350D. Any special settings you used with PSPad?

Thanks,
Dave

Rawshooter Premium solution

For those who still love Rawshooter Premium but their modern camera's files will not open, here is a solution that works for both RSE an RSP.

I understand that you cannot hack the RSP executable because it is encrypted, using the previously mentioned hex editing hack.

The reason the original hack works in RawShooter is that the software looks at each file as it is opened to see what camera has created it, and if the camera is listed as being compatible, it will open the RAW file. Because the cameras that have been released since the last build of RawShooter are not included in the software's list, they wont be opened. The hack modifies the software to match the image data.

It occurred to me that if you modify the image file's data to say it was created in a camera that IS in the RS's compatible list, as long as the image is in the same format the file will open normally. So to sum up, instead of hacking the RawShooter exe, you hack the image files.

I tried it with my 40D camera which is not in the RS software's compatible table. In a hex editor (I use Hex Workshop but others will work), I opened a Canon 40D CR2 image and modified the two instances of the string '40D' to '30D'. They are fairly early in the file. The file will not open directly yet, it still has to be converted to DNG using Adobe's DNG converter.

Once the file is converted to DNG it will open in any version of Rawshooter, Premium or Essentials.

This is tedious to do manually so I wrote an application that goes through a folder of images and does the following steps:

1) Copies the CR2 file to a temp file so the originals are not modified
2) Edits the temp CR2 replacing the '40D' strings with '30D'
3) Uses the command line function of Adobe's DNG converter to convert the temp CR2 file to DNG
4) Deletes the temp CR2

You end up with a folder full of the original CR2 files with matching DNG files, and now the DNG files open in RawShooter no problems.

If anybody is interested I might consider refining and uploading the app. I am not sure about how to handle other cameras, if somebody wants to send a RAW file from one of them I can test it.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back