• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden / Yard List 2017 (3 Viewers)

An excellent start to the morning - with Brambling in the garden and

56: Redpoll not far away.

(Though numbers are academic for me!)

Richard Prior , had quick look on a bird site I belong to .
More than 50 Black kites seen by someone in Pau yesterday - thats only 30 minutes max drive from here ,so yes you are right.
I hope to see one or several today, havent seen any since some months which is as usual at the time of year.

A few "regulars" that I still haven't seen yet....Kestrel, Firecrest, and Fieldfare to name but three. Still can't complain, as I'm ahead of myself by 2, compared to same time last year....and "Treeper" really was a bonus!

Three days into spring and stacks of birds now - Skylarks abundant, another Woodlark, quite a number of Cranes calling and displaying, lots of Lapwings drifting about, first Starlings, another small flock of Waxwings, three Grey Herons back at their colony, 30-40 Common Buzzards through during the morning. Great Grey Shrike still about.

Also five Greylag Geese over (3rd record, all in March, first multiple count) and two Whooper Swans (7th record), plus a Mute Swan a little later.

31. Whooper Swan
32. Greylag Goose
33. Grey Heron
34. Starling

And forgot to add Treecreeper some time ago.

35. Treecreeper

Last edited:
A beautiful day yesterday - warm & sunny - now cold and wet again!
But another Brambling in the garden.

And I see it's about time for a Red Kite to pass this way!

Almost exactly at the same number as last year at this date.

Spring? Harumph, snowing here again :-C

A very early start to spring this year, I do not rule out a return to snow here too :t:

All lakes still totally frozen - is actually a good time to get Whooper Swan and Greylag Goose etc as they are flying around looking for open water (almost all my records of both have been in this early stage of spring when lakes are still frozen)

If we get the house we want I'll be c.50 metres lower than here, 8 miles east and in a much more sheltered spot with a lot less precipitation.
As for the birds - we shall see.

You'll just have to start a new list.

Two not very exciting ones to add:

42) Collared Dove
43) Mallard

but on the plus side, Yellowhammers singing!

Nothing to add to my list but one to upgrade from flyover to in the garden. I think it was probably attracted by all the young rabbits, the second litter of 2017 appeared last Friday. First time in the garden but a regular over for several years.

Attachments

• IMG_2786.JPG
    IMG_2786.JPG
    229.6 KB · Views: 36
Much to my delight a pair of Buzzards are building opposite my house.

And just to add to my smile the year's first

57: PEREGRINE

just passed by

Fanfare please! ~150 Canada geese just flown over the ridge, which takes me to the giddy heights of 17.
Why does 17 deserve a fanfare? Why, because that is the number Dad (Jabberwocky) reached on January 1st! The chase is finally on ;)

(PS. Love the Buzzard photo Dad. Poor bunnies. We had both Barred Owl and Northern Shrike yesterday, I was thrilled, the chickadees less so!).

We are happy the rains have come but the birds are finding water everywhere and not visiting our bird baths as much. Here are a couple of regulars to our garden but nothing to add to the list. A pair of Red-cheeked Cordon-bleu and a pair of Scarlet-chested Sunbirds.

Attachments

• DSC_9879.JPG
    DSC_9879.JPG
    277.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC_9882.JPG
    DSC_9882.JPG
    350.8 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_9831.JPG
    DSC_9831.JPG
    269 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC_9819.JPG
    DSC_9819.JPG
    378.6 KB · Views: 34
Had two Firecrests behind my abode this am, but not visible from the house. :-C
I know how you feel Ken, I've a similar situation with several Alpine Accentors hanging about just 750m up our lane, from our place I can even see a bit of the roof of the house some of them were frequenting yesterday. I have had a couple of glimpses of crest sp too but not clinched which species, hopefully I'll see both in the garden during the year, but the Alpine Accentors ?

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back