Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Berlin Trip (yes, Berlin!)

Old Monday 30th October 2006, 12:21   #1
Tri-Counties Birder
AKA The Portland Naturalist

Berlin Trip (yes, Berlin!)

I went for a non-birding trip to Berlin this weekend. Great city with great sights. Of course I didn't expect to do any birding, but I took my bins anyway, just in case.

Well, it seems one of the most urban areas of Europe has pretty good birding (well, in British standards anyway). Mostly centred around the main park (Tiergarten), I saw Hooded Crow (lifer), Goshawk (commoner than Sparrowhawk), Hawfinch,Tree Sparrow, Firecrest, Brambling, Buzzard (hunting on the woodland floor), Siskin, and Redwing amongst commoner birds.

I was quite amazed at how good it was, this is mostly due to the brilliant botanic diversity of the park with more than 25 species of native trees included in quite a small area. Also the streets are often lined with trees, allowing species such as Tits and Goldcrests to live right in the centre of the city.

41 species in all, without leaving the city, brilliant.

BF Supporter 2011 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 30th October 2006, 12:28   #2
colonelboris
Right way up again

The Tiergarten was pretty good when we went - buzzards, swallows, red squirrels, nuthatches, countless numbers of other critters. Wasn't even into birding at the time.

BF Supporter 2007 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 30th October 2006, 14:07   #3
jurek

Hi,

I no longer live in Berlin, but it is even better outside. Within 2 hours drive from the city centre you have breeding Great Bustards, White-tailed Eagles, Ospreys, both kites, Cranes, four grebes, Bittern, tens of thousands of wintering geese and ducks, 40.000 cranes on autumn roost etc. Amazing how DDR cared for it's nature.
Old Monday 30th October 2006, 14:22   #4
Woodchatshrike
Registered Member

I was in Munich in Spring a few years ago and the parks were full of woodland species.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: