• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

My impressions of this inexpensive Chinese binocular from Wingspan. (1 Viewer)

bugeyed

Wingspan Optics Willow UltraHD 8x32 binoculars.
With a name like Wingspan Optics, you have to wonder if these bins are worth your time. They have proven to be quite a pleasant surprise & their offices are in Wyoming, so may be an American company. Was formerly Polaris Optics.
I took a shot with these & scored! I was looking for a more compact binocular when I came across these. The combination of features & low price was too good to pass up. I was skeptical at first, but after some research, I suspect that these are discontinued in the Wingspan catalog & would have originally cost much more than $69 on Amazon. Their specs equate to the ProBirder UltraHD in the current catalog & they sell for $135. Anyway, I am extremely happy with the performance of the Willow UltraHD 8x32. I have done a side by side comparison with my Nikon Prostaff 7s 10x42 & the Willow's appear to be their equal in sharpness, brightness & overall feel. Spec says ED glass??? The focus wheel is very smooth with no stiction or slop in the mechanism. The weight is just right for me. They have a good solid feel & enough weight to make them easy to hold steady. They are pretty quick to focus with a stop to stop travel of around 2 revolutions. The close focus distance is insane! When I am reclining with my legs extended, I can focus on my toes! Seriously! That's about 43 or 44"! This makes for a whole new use for these binoculars. Watching bugs & such right up close. Such fun! The objective covers are easy to put on & take off & stay out of the way when viewing. They come with a nice hard, molded case & a wide neoprene stretchy strap. The warranty for the UltraHD line is a no-fault lifetime warranty, so they will be replaced if you accidentally damage them. If you are looking for an inexpensive binocular give these a try. The low price is not an indication of the quality & hopefully the quality will be consistent with all samples.
Regards,
Kev
P.S. I was not impressed with the Wingspan Spectator 8x32 compact bins. Different league than the Willow. May have just been my sample, but the focus mechanism suffered horribly from stiction. I operated the mechanism repeatedly, but it didn't clear up. This made them unusable & the objective caps are nearly impossible to secure without excessive fiddling, they're too tight. Otherwise they seemed OK. Nice size, but I didn't spend much time with them.

Last edited:
Hello Kev,

Nice review. eBay is selling them for ~$90.00 so it sounds like you got a deal. I'm impressed that it sports an eye relief of 17.8mm with a FOV = 393'/1000 yds. Also, it's said to have a lifetime warranty.

I may get one for my grandson.

Thanks,
Ed

Hello Kev,

snip eBay is selling them for ~$90.00 so it sounds like you got a deal. snip
I may get one for my grandson.

Thanks,
Ed

Still available on Amazon for $69. BTW Although the Spectator model looks tempting for it's size, I was not impressed. See my review above for details. YMMV
Kev

Last edited:
Still available on Amazon for $69. BTW Although the Spectator model looks tempting for it's size, I was not impressed. See my review above for details. YMMV
Kev

Hi Kev,

Glad it worked out for you.:t: Keeping the Quality Control consistent is the biggest problem these inexpensive binoculars run into. If your dealer has a small inventory of them in stock see if you can try all of them before you buy.

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back