Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Trying to identify a flying bird

Old Wednesday 17th April 2019, 14:41   #1
strohgun

Trying to identify a flying bird

Hello. New guy here from NW Ohio. Have a question about a local bird that I can`t identify. This may be a simple question for the pros, but a couple of neighbors and I are "stumped"
It appears to be between Grackle and NightHawk size. This dude flies fast, and covers a lot of sky. He flies in circles, dives, climbs, etc. Almost like he`s eating insects, but I don`t think there`s any around here yet. Biggest thing is when he`s flying at a certain angle, his wings whistle. Similar to a Dove, but a higher pitch and faster.
He flies too high and fast for me to get a close look at him with binoculars, and I can`t tell any colors (I`m colorblind). He appears to have a obvious neck, and the wings seem swept back-like a Kite maybe? He`ll do this for a long time, then he`s gone. Then I`ll see him again in a day or two. Could this be a "mating display" or something? Someone thought Wood Duck, but I don`t think so.
Sorry if this is dumb, long-winded question, but I would really like to know what it is.
Thanks,
strohgun
Old Wednesday 17th April 2019, 15:08   #2
Sangahyando

Apart from the neck part, the description makes me think of a swift of sorts...
Old Wednesday 17th April 2019, 16:18   #3
njlarsen
Opus Editor

I am thinking Snipe: the European counterpart has a flight for territorial display that sounds similar - except that the sound would not be the same. For Wilson's snipe the sound produced when they dive is described as a low whistle similar to Boreal Owl's song (Huhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhuhu) - but actually comes from a tail feather, not the wing.

Niels

Just moved to Barbados

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 17th April 2019, 23:23   #4
strohgun

Thanks guys. I did some searching on Allaboutbirds.org, and listened to a recording of a Wilson`s Snipe. That sure sounds like it! Although, it doesn`t really look like the picture, and I can`t see a long bill. But again, this guy flies fast and high, and I don`t have the best eyesight anymore. Even with binoculars it`s tough to see detail. Maybe I can find a video of a Snipe in flight.
I think this may be him....
Thanks again!
strohgun
Old Wednesday 17th April 2019, 23:36   #5
The Bird Nuts
Birding Duo

Check out American Woodcock.
Old Thursday 18th April 2019, 14:52   #6
strohgun

Definitely a Wison`s Snipe. My little buddy was back again this morning, and he flew right over me. Was watching with binoculars and the sun was at the right angel. Actually got to see the light-colored belly, and a long bill. Of course I heard the whistling before I could spot him, so I got lucky this morning and had a great sighting. He really is a cool bird!
Thanks,
strohgun
Old Friday 19th April 2019, 16:56   #7
Earnest lad

I knew all along your bird was a Wilson Snipe
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: