• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon prostaff 3s 10x42 (1 Viewer)

Frodge

I just received these brand new from b+ h for my wife. I noticed that the diopter ring with the +/- mark can be physically slid off rearward. Is this normal? It seems like a cover that goes over the knob. But it has splines so you can turn it.....normal?

Frodge,

Based on the video, this is a defect, it is not normal. The two rings should not come apart as demonstrated in the video. This is the diopter adjustment which allows compensation for the differences in eyesight between left and right eyes. Together with the central focusing knob, it is part of the overall focusing mechanism. On some models, the diopter ring can be moved up toward the eye lens (the ocular lens) to be adjusted and then pushed back down to lock it in place but in that case the entire ring should move together not come apart. It appears your Monarch does not have this locking feature and most don't. It looks like in the one you got the two rings were not glued together when it was made. Depending on your preference, you could either exchange your defective model or carefully glue the two rings together yourself. Carefully because both rings should stay together but you will need to be able to rotate the ring to adjust the right eye for proper focus. If you search the this forum you will find a number threads discussing diopter adjustment for more general information. Hope this helps.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back