• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Coney Meadow and Adjoining Areas (4 Viewers)

Cheers Phil - they certainly took me by surprise but I had great views as they circled low calling before flying off. I checked nearby woods but no further sign. It would be great if they did winter in the area. They were a patch tick for me but there is one previous record - in Salwarpe churchyard in December 2005 IIRC.

One bird in Salwarpe Churchyard on the 29th and 30th December 2005 according to the West Midland Bird Club annual report.

One bird in Salwarpe Churchyard on the 29th and 30th December 2005 according to the West Midland Bird Club annual report.

Yes, I found that one while looking for a reported Firecrest in the churchyard (which was never seen again or submitted to the recorder).

That was during the infux winter of 2005/06 so lets hope we're in for a repeat.

Brian

Yes, I found that one while looking for a reported Firecrest in the churchyard (which was never seen again or submitted to the recorder).

That was during the infux winter of 2005/06 so lets hope we're in for a repeat.

Brian

I remember spending a lot of my Christmas break looking for that reported Firecrest but no sign. Didn't realise the record was never submitted though. Any idea of the finder?

The habitat looks ideal for them it has to be said - loads of Ivy plus evergreens like Holly and Yews that they often favour in the winter months.

Don't know who the finder was. It isn't in the report for that year, so I assumed it wasn't submitted, don't recall seeing a description.

Must be a realistic contender for your patch Dave. Hopefully this winter.

Brian

The Hawfinches proved to be extremely elusive for the rest of the day. One of them was seen to drop into a thick hedgerow in the meadow. However, it remained hidden within the hedgerow for nearly two hours before it flew out and headed over the canal into Droitwich Community Woods. No sign after that.

Lots of Skylarks over this morning plus several small flocks of Redpolls and Siskins and the odd Meadow Pipit. Also recorded: 2 Redwings, Raven, 3 Grey Herons, Grey Wagtail, loads of Jays and many Mistle Thrushes. ~250 Starlings, Rooks, Jackdaws and 20 odd linnets in the nearby fields. Just one Chiffchaff seen but lots of Goldcrests. Water Rails calling.

One Weasel seen chasing a Wood Mouse and lots of Hornets flying around.

Birder Gladys texted to say there's a Tawny Owl hooting and showing well this evening. :t:

saw large owl on dead tree to the left of house on hill,heard TWO screeching down by bridle path, one sounded like it was inside a building? as we walked by church we heard hooting from same lane direction.

Spent most of yesterday looking around various adjacent areas but no further signs of any Hawfinches. There seem to be very healthy populations of Coal Tits and Goldcrests in nearby woods. One Sparrowhawk was seen plus Nuthatch, a few Redwings, Mistle Thrushes and a few flyover Siskin flocks. The 'setaside' field was full of feeding birds - a big flock of Starlings, lots of Rooks, Jackdaws and over 50 Magpies plus about 20 Linnets and a few Meadow Pipits, Pied wagtails, Greenfinches and Reed buntings. Jays continue to be very conspicuous - at one time a 'flock' of seven were in the air at the same time. A couple of Ravens were still hanging around and plenty of Buzzards were knocking about. A Kingfisher was heard along the river, a couple of Grey wagtails flew over and one or two Grey Herons perched up in the riverside trees. Several Cormorants flew over (from westwood).

The morning frost gave way to a bright, sunny afternnon and this tempted out a few insects - including a Brimstone butterfly, Commas, Red Admirals, Small Tortoiseshell, several Hornets and a couple of Migrant Hawkers. A Scorpion Fly was seen in one of the hedges - I'll attach a photo later.

Also 2 Blackcaps seen.

Attachments

• Scorpion Fly.JPG
    Scorpion Fly.JPG
    165.6 KB · Views: 158
Last edited:
A Crossbill flew over calling early this afternoon. Regular flocks of Siskins (up to 11 birds) and a few separate flocks of Redpolls (up to 6 birds). Increasing numbers of Redwings and a few Meadow Pipits. One late Swallow this morning between Salwarpe and Ladywood plus a couple of Blackcaps. Good-sized flocks of Skylarks over the weekend - one flock yesterday contained 13 birds. Two Sparrowhawks soaring together today. Jays still very conspicuous - often carrying acorns. Other species recorded this weekend: Water Rail, Nuthatch, Goldcrests, Linnets, Ravens, Rooks, Greenfinches, Bullfinches, Starlings, Mistle Thrushes, Song Thrushes, Grey Herons, House Sparrow, Kingfisher, Long-tailed Tits, Grey Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, Reed Buntings, Buzzards, Coal Tits, Herring Gull, LBBGs, Black-headed Gulls and Cormorant (picture below).

Attachments

• Cormorant Coney Meadow.jpg
    Cormorant Coney Meadow.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 139
Birds recorded this weekend:

Mallard, Pheasant, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Water Rail, Moorhen, Herring Gull, Lesser Black-backed Gull, Black-headed Gull, Wood Pigeon, Collared Dove, Kingfisher, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Skylark (25+), Meadow Pipit, Grey Wagtail, Pied Wagtail, Dunnock, Robin, Song Thrush, Redwing (100's), Fieldfare (100+), Mistle Thrush (10+), Blackbird, Blackcap (1 male), Chiffchaff, Goldcrest (10+), Great Tit, Blue Tit, Coal Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Nuthatch, Magpie, Jay, Rook, Carrion Crow, Raven, Starling, Chaffinch, Linnet, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Siskin (30+), Lesser Redpoll (10+), Bullfinch, Reed Bunting, Yellowhammer (4).

just some Autumn photos from gladys from a brisk walk around 15 to 16.00hrs

Attachments

• coney.jpg
    coney.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 154
  • coney 008.jpg
    coney 008.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 154
  • coney 009.jpg
    coney 009.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
bird count for a quick hour.
church yard;C,Crow,20+ Jackdaw,Long tail Tits.green woodpecker
fields down farm track,4 Mallards,magpies,Jay,wood Pigeon,Herion,
50+meadow pepit
flying over.B H Gulls, Blackbirds,Redwing
by canal. Wren,Robin

photos Jay on top of tree
spot the Herion

Attachments

• coney 006.jpg
    coney 006.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 148
  • coney 007.jpg
    coney 007.jpg
    189.1 KB · Views: 163
Excellent work, Gladys.:t:

Two Bramblings flew over calling this morning. Lots of winter thrushes, Siskins a few Redpolls plus Skylarks, Goldcrests, Raven, Water Rail and a flock of 20 Linnets.

just found this on youtube,posted 5 days ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hw0xlWQIWw

Interesting piece - thanks for posting it. Opening up the reedbed, especially, would be great for providing open water for ducks, herons and perhaps the odd wader as well as improving the viewing. I'll be helping Mark put up a few nestboxes in mid-December - hopefully we may even be able to get Redstarts breeding on site!

Managed a couple of hours this afternoon / evening after leaving the Upton work party early. The 'setaside' field was full of birds - a Common Snipe was in one of the flooded corners and the Linnet flock had increased to more than 150. Plenty of Meadow Pipits and Pied Wagtails in there too plus Starlings, Thrushes and Corvids. More Redpolls, Siskins, Green and Great Spot Woodpeckers, 2 Ravens and a Sparrowhawk over the meadow plus a constant stream of Gulls towards Westwood.

Interesting piece - thanks for posting it. Opening up the reedbed, especially, would be great for providing open water for ducks, herons and perhaps the odd wader as well as improving the viewing. I'll be helping Mark put up a few nestboxes in mid-December - hopefully we may even be able to get Redstarts breeding on site!

Managed a couple of hours this afternoon / evening after leaving the Upton work party early. The 'setaside' field was full of birds - a Common Snipe was in one of the flooded corners and the Linnet flock had increased to more than 150. Plenty of Meadow Pipits and Pied Wagtails in there too plus Starlings, Thrushes and Corvids. More Redpolls, Siskins, Green and Great Spot Woodpeckers, 2 Ravens and a Sparrowhawk over the meadow plus a constant stream of Gulls towards Westwood.

Dave
There must be a lot of linnets around today.B :)john,

Dave
There must be a lot of linnets around today.B :)john,

Exactly what I was thinking - far more in this field today than yesterday - I counted 150 on the wires when they were spooked but there were also more still left on the ground - don't know exactly how many but there could have been closer to 200 in total. :t:

A Brambling was in trees along the eastern boundary of the meadow today. Other birds recorded this weekend:

Mallard, Mute Swan, Canada Goose, Cormorant, Grey Heron, Pheasant, Buzzard, Sparrowhawk, Water Rail, Moorhen, Herring Gull, LBB Gull, Black-headed Gull, Stock Dove, Wood Pigeon, Kingfisher, Green Woodpecker, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Skylark, Pied Wagtail, Grey Wagtail, Meadow Pipit, Dunnock, Wren, Robin, Song Thrush, Redwing, Mistle Thrush, Fieldfare, Blackbird, Goldcrest, Great Tit, Coal Tit, Blue Tit, Long-tailed Tit, Nuthatch, Treecreeper, Magpie, Jay, Jackdaw, Rook, Carrion Crow, Raven, Starling, House Sparrow, Chaffinch, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Linnet, Goldfinch, Redpoll, Siskin, Reed Bunting.

Last edited:
Bird of the day was a Green Sandpiper which was feeding in the flooded area of the 'setaside' field, north-west of the village. It was a bit distant (viewed from the bridle path) - so the record shots attached are very poor. This is the first record this year for the patch. They have become less common in the area in the last few years.

Other birds noted today were Teal, Raven (3), Mistle Thrush (6+), lots of Redwings and Fieldfares, Siskins, Lesser Redpolls (5), Nuthatches (2), Coal Tit, Water Rail, Cormorant, Common Buzzards, Kingfisher and Grey Heron.

Attachments

• Green Sand Salwarpe.jpg
    Green Sand Salwarpe.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 152
  • Green Sandpiper Salwarpe.jpg
    Green Sandpiper Salwarpe.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 164
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back