• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hawke frontier/ sapphire 8x43 or frontier x Ed 8x42 or opticron natura ed 8x42? (1 Viewer)

hr21

Looking to get an 8x42 binocular and was considering these,

Is there any difference optically with the sapphire Ed and the frontier x Ed?

Or would an opticron be a better idea E. G. Natura or countryman?

My main focus is clear, sharp image.

hr,

The Frontier ED 8x42, Sapphire ED 8x43 and 8x42 and now the Frontier ED-X 8x42 will all give you clear sharp images, but they do differ in other ways. Individuals seem to have a particular preference for either the dual hinge or single hinge designs. I generally found the grip and balance better on the slightly shorter single hinge, but distance between your eyes (IPD), or size of hands might make a difference to your choice. The slightly shorter single hinge models have a bit more field curvature and edge astigmatism and it seems a little less distortion to my eyes than the x43s but the differences are small and you may not notice it. The main difference between the Sapphires and the original Frontier ED was the improved colour profile, but not everyone on the forum appreciated the change. The Frontier ED-X seems different again. It might be just a batch difference, but the last ones I tried were a bit stronger in the yellow than I recall the previous models were. The particular examples I tried also had a bit of glare, probably due to slightly shiny interior surfaces, so something to look out for.

Whereas the Hawkes are made in China, the Opticron Countryman HD+ and the latest Natura ED are made in Japan and come with a 30 year warranty. It probably makes little practical difference these days, but Opticron have been working with the manufacturers for decades and have confidence in the engineering and availability of parts. However Japanese stuff usually costs a bit more and the competitive pricing of these models probably reflects a simpler optical design than the Hawkes. The most obvious difference is the field of view and degree of field curvature. I'm afraid I haven't checked out these two since their latest upgrades, but I rather liked the previous incarnation of the Countryman.

David

Last edited:
hr,

The Frontier ED 8x42, Sapphire ED 8x43 and 8x42 and now the Frontier ED-X 8x42 will all give you clear sharp images, but they do differ in other ways. Individuals seem to have a particular preference for either the dual hinge or single hinge designs. I generally found the grip and balance better on the slightly shorter single hinge, but distance between your eyes (IPD), or size of hands might make a difference to your choice. The slightly shorter single hinge models have a bit more field curvature and edge astigmatism and it seems a little less distortion to my eyes than the x43s but the differences are small and you may not notice it. The main difference between the Sapphires and the original Frontier ED was the improved colour profile, but not everyone on the forum appreciated the change. The Frontier ED-X seems different again. It might be just a batch difference, but the last ones I tried were a bit stronger in the yellow than I recall the previous models were. The particular examples I tried also had a bit of glare, probably due to slightly shiny interior surfaces, so something to look out for.

Whereas the Hawkes are made in China, the Opticron Countryman HD+ and the latest Natura ED are made in Japan and come with a 30 year warranty. It probably makes little practical difference these days, but Opticron have been working with the manufacturers for decades and have confidence in the engineering and availability of parts. However Japanese stuff usually costs a bit more and the competitive pricing of these models probably reflects a simpler optical design than the Hawkes. The most obvious difference is the field of view and degree of field curvature. I'm afraid I haven't checked out these two since their latest upgrades, but I rather liked the previous incarnation of the Countryman.

David

Thanks, helpful response.

So all are much of a muchness really?

Therefore is the Frontier ED X worth £360 over the Sapphire 8x43 (£280) or Frontier 8x43 (£220)?

Natura is £290 and Countryman £360

I currently own a pair of 10x42 HR WP which optically have been excellent but I do like the idea of wider FOV for tracking birds in woodlands.

Also - any comments on whether Opticron or Hawke have better after-sales service?

hr,

Hawke prices have always fluctuated wildly, but if I remember rightly all those models have sold for about £360 at one time or another. ;) The dual hinge Sapphire ED has generally been the most expensive, often around £450 with the single hinge Sapphire ED just a bit less. That would make the ED-X a cheaper model. I don't know if that would be due to currency rates, or some change in the manufacturing and design, but the samples I tried had a couple of niggles as I said.

Opticron prices are usually very steady.

I think you'll find that Opticron had always had a well regarded after sales service. Thanks to my two year old grandson I needed one binocular recollimated, which wasn't covered by warranty. Fixed price service and a quick turn around. They have been helpful on other issues too. A while back, I think there were one or two grumbles about Hawke. I've never needed to call on their services myself, but recent reports on the forum have been very positive.

While we sometimes have some idea about who makes what for whom in Japan, China is much more of an unknown. with seemingly similar binoculars turning up with wildly different optical quality and manufacturing standards. At their best, they produce some very good models. It might be worth checking out the newly revamped Bushnell range if you get a chance.

David

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back