• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

An even stranger dream (1 Viewer)

jaymoynihan

Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher
The Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED being produced in 2 models, preserving the specifications, except:

A porroprism version with the mechanical quality of the old HR/5 version and armour like the Nikon 8x32 SE, and of course better eye relief

and

A water proof roof prism version, with better eye relief also. :smoke:

The Swift Audubon 8.5x44 ED being produced in 2 models, preserving the specifications, except:

A porroprism version with the mechanical quality of the old HR/5 version and armour like the Nikon 8x32 SE, and of course better eye relief

and

A water proof roof prism version, with better eye relief also. :smoke:

Jay,

Have you tried the new, redesigned 820 ED? At least according to the one person on earth who bought one, the bridge doesn't flex. It employs the old B & L Discoverer body. The report of it having "oversized" eyecups turned me off.

The roof prism has 19mm ER, not enough of that is useable with eyeglasses? The porros don't have enough useable ER, about 12mm.

The roofs are in serious need of updating with only 75% light transmission, according to the allbino boyz. Even anecdotal reports show the view is noticeably dimmer than the porros.

The price is competitive with the porros, but the FOV is smaller, 8.2* for the 820 vs. 6.4* for the 828. They'd have to charge significantly more than the porros if they updated the EP design to increase the FOV but from what I see of Chinese bins, the addition of dielectric coatings wouldn't break the bank.

Except for the recent update to the 820's body design and the updated Eaglets and the "new" Horizon roofs, Swift binoculars seem to be frozen in time.

This "new" Aerolite looks like it's from the Pleistocene Epoch (at first I thought Pliocene, but then noticed the rubber armoring):

http://www.optics4birding.com/armored-aerolite7x50zcf-binoculars-292.html

My "dream" is more modest. I'd be happy with an 804 H/R FMC that had as good edges and no more piincushion than my 804 MC version.

Brock

Attachments

• Swift 820 Audubon Neu.jpg
    Swift 820 Audubon Neu.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
Have you tried the new, redesigned 820 ED? At least according to the one person on earth who bought one, the bridge doesn't flex. It employs the old B & L Discoverer body. The report of it having "oversized" eyecups turned me off.

...The roof prism has 19mm ER, not enough of that is useable with eyeglasses?

Re the new ED model. No, have not tried them. I have the one from earlier in the last decade.
If The picture at the bottom of your post is that new model, those eyecups are questionable if you are an eyeglass wearer.

RE the current HHS. Have one of those also. Yes the ER is fine. But, a wider FOV and ED glass would be nice. Like you say, bring them up to date.
I think Swift is "done" with binoculars essentially. At least as far as quality ones.
Maybe this sub-forum should be archived and closed. Access should be maintained though, given the wealth of historical information herein. Perhaps one forum for all the multi-brand Chinese clone-binos? I assume Zen Ray has its own spot since it appears to be a BF sponsor?

The roofs are in serious need of updating with only 75% light transmission, according to the allbino boyz. Even anecdotal reports show the view is noticeably dimmer than the porros.

So JRB,

To get back to your favorite topic, how does the "brightness" (however you want to interpret that for the purpose) of your 804 compare with your EII? I think I know the answer, having made the comparison myself. But I'd like to know what you see. I won't call in any expert witnesses.

JB

The 828's aren't all THAT dim. They are a very useful birding binocular. I used mine today about 5PM (I keep them in the car) on a cloudy, gloomy day watching a lone Turkey Vulture about 1 to 2 miles away migrating south above Interstate 81 using thermals coming up from the highway. I watched it for almost 15 minutes. I had no trouble IDing the bird or finding it when it got very high and even on a couple of occasions could see it's red head. I saw it against the sky and against the background of Mount Joe Palooka. (Yes, Little Max, there is a mountain named after your hero! Right outside of Wilkes Barre, Pa.)

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/1100

This particular JoePa is a native of PA not RI!

Bob
(Heavyweight Champeen of Bird Forum)

I'd take that allbino stuff with a grain of salt. My 828s are bright enough and not that far off my Ultravid HDs. Considering that the Leica cost over 5 times as much, the Swifts are a deal. FOV could be bigger, but that doesn't phase me too much. Otherwise, the 828's construction, fit and feel are very impressive. A best buy in my book.

Martin

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back