• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A question about eyecups (1 Viewer)

jaymoynihan

Corvus brachyrhynchos watcher
I do not like the eye cups on my 8.5x44 ED (vintage early 2000's), and much prefer the roof-down ones on my HR/5. The eye placement is much friendlier with the old roll down ones, at least for me. Does anyone know if the following is possible, and who might do it for me?
Remove and replace the eye cups.

I do not like the eye cups on my 8.5x44 ED (vintage early 2000's), and much prefer the roof-down ones on my HR/5. The eye placement is much friendlier with the old roll down ones, at least for me. Does anyone know if the following is possible, and who might do it for me?
Remove and replace the eye cups.

Jay,

I looked into this shortly after the 820s first came out. I had a problem with those wide, hard eyecups and also prefer the roll down eyecups on my 804s.

I called Swift Optics (which, at the time, still owned the sports division), talked to a nice young woman there, and after some back and forth between her and the Swift technicians came up with no solution other than yanking off those oversized eye gougers and attaching fold down rubber eyecups to the "stumps" on the EP housing.

The 804 cups won't fit, they're not wide enough. Not sure if even the wide SE/EII eyecups would fit. You'd have to experiment.

When I bought my CZJ 8x50 Octarem, I was concerned about what I would do once the eyecups wore or if they ripped.

I talked to a technician named Vic at Texas Nautical and he told me gets in a lot of old porros porros for repairs and has made custom eyecups for them if he couldn't find replacements.

So if you might want to give Texas Nautical a call.

Have you tried the new 820s? Someone who bought one on BF commented that the eyecups were large. The eyecups and body seemed to be based on the old B&L Discoverer porros.

You might order the new design and see if the eyecups fit you better. The overall ergonomics look better to me (see attached).

Brock

Attachments

• Swift 820 Audubon Neu.jpg
    Swift 820 Audubon Neu.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Swift 820 Audubon Neu 4.jpg
    Swift 820 Audubon Neu 4.jpg
    252.3 KB · Views: 44
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back