• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Reasons not to buy Zeiss SF 8x42? (1 Viewer)

Is there a reason the Leica Noctivid is not in the running?

Myself, I've been considering switching to the Noctivid or SF from Swarovision 8.5s. I need a new pair of bins like
I need a new hole in my head, but have had the Swaros for a few years and I'm getting itchy for a new full size pair. Plus the focus wheel is somewhat irritating with differing force needed depending on direction (CW vs CWW) and the 2.5 turn range has resulted in a few missed birds.

Bill,

I agree about the Noctivid, although buying new, the price I for one will not pay, but it is a very nice glass. Not too many used, I missed out on a couple in the Netherlands sold as demo units. Regarding the Noctivid, some will complain about CA in Leica, and again we will go down that road named Chromatic Aberration.

Andy W.

Myself, I've been considering switching to the Noctivid or SF from Swarovision 8.5s. I need a new pair of bins like
I need a new hole in my head, but have had the Swaros for a few years and I'm getting itchy for a new full size pair. Plus the focus wheel is somewhat irritating with differing force needed depending on direction (CW vs CWW) and the 2.5 turn range has resulted in a few missed birds.

Those itches feel familiar. Noctivids are worth considering, especially if perfect glare and flare suppression is important, but since TS seemed to be quite focused on weight, ergonomics and service, my impression is that the Noctivids would not be the best choice. None of the alphas are perfect however.

If you feel that the Swaro is too "slow", I think Zeiss SF would be a better choice or perhaps even a 7x42 Ultravid HD+. More depth of field and wider FOV helps as much as a faster focus wheel.

Last edited:

If I originally had doubts about Zeiss customer service - which have now been dispelled - I have even more doubts about Leica in this respect (although I hear they have been making efforts to improve). Also, as Vespubuteo says, the Noctivid is a less interesting option in two aspects that are important to me: FOV and weight. Having said that, I haven’t completely discounted the Leica and will give it a proper go before I make my decision.

As I recall, one of the most frequently mentioned gripes with the SF was the poor, 'plasticky' quality of the eyecups. Don't know if this still applies but it's worth looking into (pardon the pun) as they are your only interface with the binocular and their form and function are vitally important - perhaps more so than apparent weight, location of focus wheel etc.

RB

I did pay attention to this when I tried them in the shop because the sales person was not too complimentary about Zeiss eyecups in general, but I found them to be just fine. Whilst trying out different models from mid to top tier I came across many bins where the eyecups just didn't work for me, but these seem to fit my eyes well.

As you say there are the colour cast differences and these are valid considerations. Which one shows a better view of what you look at most/would like to look at?

Chosun :gh:

I think this is the one remaining question mark. The colour balance is the main difference I noticed between the two optically (other than FOV), and I'm not yet sure which I prefer. My impression was that I preferred the Swaro in certain light conditions, and the Zeiss in others. I've read a few complaints on BF and review sites about the 'unnatural' yellow/green cast of the SF, but as none of you has raised this as in issue in this thread, I assume this is not a problem for most people.

... As you say there are the colour cast differences and these are valid considerations. Which one shows a better view of what you look at most/would like to look at?
...I think this is the one remaining question mark. The colour balance is the main difference I noticed between the two optically (other than FOV), and I'm not yet sure which I prefer. My impression was that I preferred the Swaro in certain light conditions, and the Zeiss in others. I've read a few complaints on BF and review sites about the 'unnatural' yellow/green cast of the SF, but as none of you has raised this as in issue in this thread, I assume this is not a problem for most people.
I thought the green ham colour cast of the SF was a given! :cat:

Still, they are your eyes, and what is most important is what YOU see ...... :)

Chosun :gh:

For me the Swarovski seems to cool, to blueish, the Zeiss a little bit to warm.

The differences would not be an issue for me, because the color differences between a sunny and a cloudy day, between staying in a wood and on the free field are much much bigger.

For me the Swarovski seems to cool, to blueish, the Zeiss a little bit to warm.

The differences would not be an issue for me, because the color differences between a sunny and a cloudy day, between staying in a wood and on the free field are much much bigger.

Yes, I think this is how I felt about them too, and as you say, the optimal colour balance probably varies depending on the environment and light conditions.

if you want sharp, neutral and bright why not consider the HT?

The only reason I haven't really considered the HT is that not many optics retailers stock them over here so I haven't been able to try one. The same goes for the Swarovski SLC. I do suspect that the SF would probably suit me better due to the handling and FOV, but I know I should probably make the effort to try an HT just to be sure. Its price (currently £500 less) would certainly be much easier for me to justify!

The only reason I haven't really considered the HT is that not many optics retailers stock them over here so I haven't been able to try one. The same goes for the Swarovski SLC. I do suspect that the SF would probably suit me better due to the handling and FOV, but I know I should probably make the effort to try an HT just to be sure. Its price (currently £500 less) would certainly be much easier for me to justify!

Unfortunately 42mm HTs have been discontinued, so unless you can find one still on a dealer's shelf, it would have to be used.

Talking of used: https://www.focusoptics.eu/webshop/used-binoculars/zeiss-victory-sf-8x42-297/

And I can recommend the dealer.

Lee

I like user reviews, not so much from those that have no experience with the binocular. :eek!:

So, take it as such. The eyecups are plastic, but work very well and just as intended. It is not an issue.

Jerry

FYI Jerry, I have no axe to grind; I care not whether the OP goes for a Zeiss, Swarovski or any other marque, so long as he opts for whatever suits him best. I was merely providing info - as were others - to help him make an infiormed decision. If you take the trouble to search, there are numerous references to the 'flimsy' Victory SF eyecups in reviews on the web, including several threads on this forum. Your outburst was unfriendly, unwarranted and unhelpful and a typical 'fanboy' reaction.

RB

Unfortunately 42mm HTs have been discontinued, so unless you can find one still on a dealer's shelf, it would have to be used.

Talking of used: https://www.focusoptics.eu/webshop/used-binoculars/zeiss-victory-sf-8x42-297/

And I can recommend the dealer.

Lee

Oh, thanks - I didn't realise they'd been discontinued. Some retailers do still appear to have them in stock, though, and some (e.g. Cley Spy) are selling them at a significant discount.

Many thanks for the link. I've actually looked at those before, but I have a feeling I might be happier buying new in order to get the piece of mind of a 10 year warranty, especially as I intend for these to be my main binoculars for the next decade or two.

I haven't used Focus Optics before, but I've heard good things about them, and if they were a little closer I'd definitely pay them a visit as they stock a wider range of optics than the retailer I usually go to.

I've been using SFs for the last 3 years and have used them hard on the islands off the west of Scotland in all weathers, including hours-long rain and hail. They have been knocked against rocks next to the sea, inundated with sea-spray, laid on in seaweed and bogs while I took ground-level photos and they have taken it all in their stride: no problems. I have no doubt a Swaro EL would do the same.

SF feels quite a bit lighter than an EL but actually it is not significantly lighter, it just feels that way due to the different optical train layout inside, see pic below with SF on the right. But the lighter feel of SF has made some folks think it is not as robustly built while it simply has IMHO a better balance in the hand.

Go with what your heart tells you is most appealing.

Lee

Lee,

From the photo of the cross sections it appears that the Swaro will have more weight at the objective end... have you (others) found the Zeiss easier to hold steady due to the weight distribution???

From the words in the opening post, the answer is: Zeiss SF. o:)

CG

FYI Jerry, I have no axe to grind; I care not whether the OP goes for a Zeiss, Swarovski or any other marque, so long as he opts for whatever suits him best. I was merely providing info - as were others - to help him make an infiormed decision. If you take the trouble to search, there are numerous references to the 'flimsy' Victory SF eyecups in reviews on the web, including several threads on this forum. Your outburst was unfriendly, unwarranted and unhelpful and a typical 'fanboy' reaction.

RB

RB: I am not a fanboy of any brand of optics. I have read all of those
posts also, but I do have actual experience with the binocular. I do not recall any of those posts where there was an actual problem, but some were just commenting about the eyecup construction.

If you have a problem with that, then deal with it. :smoke:

Jerry

RB: I am not a fanboy of any brand of optics. I have read all of those
posts also, but I do have actual experience with the binocular. I do not recall any of those posts where there was an actual problem, but some were just commenting about the eyecup construction.

If you have a problem with that, then deal with it. :smoke:

Jerry

Not me with the problem Jerry, old boy! All correspondence with you now closed; will only correspond with OP, which is how it should have been all along really - my bad, as they say.

RB

Last edited:
Lee,

From the photo of the cross sections it appears that the Swaro will have more weight at the objective end... have you (others) found the Zeiss easier to hold steady due to the weight distribution???

From the words in the opening post, the answer is: Zeiss SF. o:)

CG

CG

Not only steadier but also for longer periods which for me is useful when observing otter behaviour and I want to keep the binos up to my eyes for as long as possible. It is just easier with the SFs.

I visited a nature reserve in the UK with Gerry Dobler and a couple of pre-production SFs and got signed-in by the reserves's bino buyer who was standing-in for the normal receptionist. He noticed the grey SFs and asked to have a look. When he picked them up for the first time (and he instinctively used the right grip) a sudden smile lit up his face and he exclaimed 'they're so light''. But although a bit lighter than EL its the balance that makes them feel this way.

If you only use your binos for quick identification-grabbing then this may not seem like so much of an advantage but if you enjoy watching behaviour then its worth giving them a try.

I still enjoy other binos for other purposes but if I am setting out hoping to watch behaviour then SFs are what I grab.

Lee

ASP:
post 1...Your eyes and hands are the best qualified to decide.

That said, at the risk of stirring up Zeiss defense....

I generally buy a couple of brands and compare for a while, selling the losing bino at an acceptable loss rather than dinging the seller. Thus far, have kept the winning bino for normally, a very long time--decades type of thing. Currently my concern is not the SF as much as it is Zeiss corporate and the future direction the sport optics division may take. Will profits take a front seat to building the very best?

Can't speak to the UK. Here in the states having used both for their top of the line models, Swaro's customer service is second to none.

ASP:
post 1...Your eyes and hands are the best qualified to decide.

That said, at the risk of stirring up Zeiss defense....

I generally buy a couple of brands and compare for a while, selling the losing bino at an acceptable loss rather than dinging the seller. Thus far, have kept the winning bino for normally, a very long time--decades type of thing. Currently my concern is not the SF as much as it is Zeiss corporate and the future direction the sport optics division may take. Will profits take a front seat to building the very best?

Can't speak to the UK. Here in the states having used both for their top of the line models, Swaro's customer service is second to none.

Huronbay

I am sure all Zeiss enthusiasts and many bino fans share your concern about the direction and future of Zeiss Sports Optics given the corporate changes that are taking place there right now.

Profits are necessary to invest in the future of a business and only a profitable business can support the kind of customer service that Swarovski provides, which as you rightly point out, is second to none.

Having interviewed Joerg Schmitz, head of more than just Sports Optics for Birdforum, I can honestly say I saw no hint of product quality reduction as a path for the future, quite the opposite, and the most recent new product from Sports Optics, the Victory Pockets, have certainly been welcomed as a very significant step forward from the Victory Compacts that they have replaced.

I think this is encouraging, but lets see what happens over the next few years.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back