• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Marsh or Willow Tit (1 Viewer)

Pale spot on bill so Marsh.

Where was it taken, presumably not Northern Ireland??

Not that I'd go out on a limb and say it's a Willow, but can the white spot be some food matter?

It does show an uncannily large bib for a Marsh. I too would like to know where the photo was taken?

Peter

Not that I'd go out on a limb and say it's a Willow, but can the white spot be some food matter?

It does show an uncannily large bib for a Marsh. I too would like to know where the photo was taken?

Peter

I must say the white on the bill does look like a bit of food to me...I will leave a positive ID to those more experienced than me though

Think one might wish to see a few more pics to get all angles on an ID here? Note the demarcation zone defined on the cheek patch also. The apparent "bull-neck" imho down to angle, and the bib seems big due to shadow of fluffed feathers. Difficult species pair. More photos would help! And I presume it wasn't taken in N.I. buzzardbill for either species? Helps to post the location. (Still. Getting a Marshy feel though... ;) )

Peter
If it won't clean its mouth, perhaps it also won't clean its bib, the naughty little baby 3:)

Enlarging the image...I can see that the pale spot appears to be exuding matter against the lower mandible, not where you might expect the proximal spot to be. Also feel that it looks a tad dusky beneath, this may well be more compatible with Willow than Marsh? A profile shot would clear it up I believe.

Cheers

willow tit Bill; based on bib size / location and pale secondary patch - but there again I have seen the other photos lol

I must apologise, forgot i had posted this, photo was taken at Kendee Marshes in Scotland on a wee trip there, many thanks for all replies

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back