• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird feeder attracting Birds I have never seen (1 Viewer)

FlockLeader

Hello all, new member here. This past Xmas my wife got me a Bird Feeder and a Bird Bath. I have always been entertained by birds. Parrots are my main interest when it comes to birds but lately... I have been very occupied with some new birdies appearing in our backyard.

I saw this male and female pair of Cardinals show up and that was an awesome site. Then I started seeing a Painted Bunting (it took me a lot of searching around to figure out that one) which was very colorful and a pleasure to watch.

Here are some pics.

20190118_104007.jpg

20190118_104143.jpg

20190118_103825.jpg

Very nice! I have 2 of the Squirrels Buster Mini's and one Plus model, and the Peanut Plus feeder. I really love them. Shelled peanuts would be really good to add to your backyard buffet. Suet is great also. Peanut Delight and Peanut Treat from C&S is really good. Anything with nuts in it does well. Bird baths are really great to draw them in. :t:

What types of seed are you feeding?

@MeInDallas

Thx for the recommendations. First time ever doing anything with Bird feeding. So I have lots to learn. Currently I am using the National Audubon Society Wild Bird Food found at one of my local Lowes.

Funny you mentioned the Bird Bath drawing them in.

The Bird Bath was the first thing that the birds were interested in. Bunch of Blue Jays and Mocking Birds at first then opened up to other types enjoying the party. Once they saw the Bird Feeder it became an every morning feast.

There is this one Mocking Bird that is a serious bully when it sees other Bird species around the bath and feeder.

A painted bunting?? Wow...that's my holy grail!

I think goldfinches winter in south Florida. You might want to think about getting a thistle feeder for them.

You should really look into some peanuts and suet. Mockingbirds love raisin suet, and orange suet, and fruit suet. Wally World carries a lot of different flavors, and most carry the C&S brand in them. You can always throw out some raisins in a tray feeder on the ground. I get those $1 baking pans from the dollar store, and drill tiny holes in the bottom so the seeds dont fall thru, but water does. I put that cheapo $5 a bag "wild bird seed" in the pan ground feeders. Blue Jays love peanuts. I have a bunch that come to feed all day on the peanut feeder, along with the Woodpeckers.

The joys of birding ;)

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back