• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Accommodation Perth (1 Viewer)

Goyter

Hi
Planning a trip to Aus in October which includes a few days in Perth
Can anyone recommend 'birdy' accommodation - I don't really want to stay in the city
Also any reliable guides for a day
Thanks

Not many guides around Perth itself as it's not really a bird-y hotspot per se.

Most locals (and many visitors) head a few hours further to the South West corner of WA where you can pick up some cool endemics. Too far as a day trip from Perth though.

That said there are a few good spots around Perth, I can help you out with some locations that should be do-able without the need for a guide if you like.

On accomodation. From a purely personal point of view Fremantle is half an hour out of Perth on the train and a stunning small town. Great brewery on the harbour front :) Not many birds though beyond silver gulls!
In Perth itself anything near Kings Park would be good - this is a large urban park, but if you base yourself near it an early morning walk or two especially in some of the less manicured areas of the park, should throw up some good birds.

I recommend getting in touch with the local birders via BirdingPal. I was shown around by one (Ms Athena Georgiou) and had a great day with lots of good birds. We did Victoria Reservoir for SW forest endemics (Firetail, Spinebill, Yellow Robin etc) then Herdsman Lake for a good diversity of waterfowl. I've been told Dryandra is excellent, and of course the areas further afield (Fitzgerald River NP, Albany) which take a few days to do really.
Starting off in Kings Park is highly recommended if it's your first visit to OZ and you need to get into the new species and families; plus it's gorgeous and walking distance from central Perth. If you base yourself in much prettier Fremantle then you can hop on a quick train to Elizabeth Quay & frequent buses around the city. Oh and I enthusiastically second Mike's recommendation for the Little Creatures brewery!

Have a great trip!
Joost

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back