• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swift 828HHS Bins - Any opinions ? (1 Viewer)

mmmmmm,need to take a closer look at those swifts,the ones i last looked at were the old models with the pop up eye cups.

as for the leicas vs swarovski's,the dead tree half a mile from the shop carpark looked much sharper through the leicas.

that was the only basis of concluding that to me the leicas had better optics,
in every other respect the swaro's were fine,pity the swaro's focus was'nt wider though.

matt

matt green said:
mmmmmm,need to take a closer look at those swifts,the ones i last looked at were the old models with the pop up eye cups.

as for the leicas vs swarovski's,the dead tree half a mile from the shop carpark looked much sharper through the leicas.

that was the only basis of concluding that to me the leicas had better optics,
in every other respect the swaro's were fine,pity the swaro's focus was'nt wider though.

matt

It could well be that the Leica's seemed or were sharper than the Swaros. I compared the Ultravid 10x42 BL with Swaro's 10x42 SLC and saw an apparent brightness difference in favor of Leica, but I preferred the Swaro's color saturation and contrast. In terms of visual acuity it was really a wash betwen them for me.

What do you mean "... the swaro's focus wasn't wide enough?" Do you mean depth of field?

I guess the reason I'm so impressed by the new Swift 828 is that their small compromise in FOV allows a terrific 19mm eye relief. Also, the 8.5x magnification makes a nicer image, and the 44mm objective really does give it more versatility than my 8x30s. They only weigh 23 oz., and the $300 price tag makes me more willing to use them extensively. I'd be interested in how you feel about the optics compared the the higher prices bins.

Ed

elkcub said:
It could well be that the Leica's seemed or were sharper than the Swaros. I compared the Ultravid 10x42 BL with Swaro's 10x42 SLC and saw an apparent brightness difference in favor of Leica, but I preferred the Swaro's color saturation and contrast. In terms of visual acuity it was really a wash betwen them for me.

What do you mean "... the swaro's focus wasn't wide enough?" Do you mean depth of field?

I guess the reason I'm so impressed by the new Swift 828 is that their small compromise in FOV allows a terrific 19mm eye relief. Also, the 8.5x magnification makes a nicer image, and the 44mm objective really does give it more versatility than my 8x30s. They only weigh 23 oz., and the $300 price tag makes me more willing to use them extensively. I'd be interested in how you feel about the optics compared the the higher prices bins.

Ed
it's the focus wheel itself that i found quite narrow,compared to the beasts that adorn trinovids and highgrades.

have yet to look at the swifts and higher priced models side by side though as has been said many times here before the difference in price would i doubt equal the difference in optics alone.

incedentally i wonder how many folk prejudge binoculars on their retail price alone before actually looking through them in the optics store.

matt

matt green said:
it's the focus wheel itself that i found quite narrow,compared to the beasts that adorn trinovids and highgrades.

have yet to look at the swifts and higher priced models side by side though as has been said many times here before the difference in price would i doubt equal the difference in optics alone.

matt

Hmmm. Do you mean in length or diameter? My 10x42 SLC has a focusing wheel that's 22mm long and about 27mm in diameter. By contrast, the 828 HHC's wheel is 24mm long and about 30mm diameter. I have no recollection of the other beasts in this regard.

The SLC is very fast, racking from one stop to the other in one revolution. The HHC takes exactly two turns, but a lot of that travel is at the near focus range. Rotation angle and focus distance are not linearly related.

... i wonder how many folk prejudge binoculars on their retail price alone before actually looking through them in the optics store.

Oh, gosh, you don't really mean that, do you? This could be very ... you know ... embarrassing. Would anyone ever honestly admit that a low cost product was as good as, much less better than, a highgrade? :h?:

Ed

Last edited:
i meant that if the swifts retail in the uk at £300 and the highgrades at about
£800 the highgrades optics TO SOME might not appear £500 better.

did'nt mean to give the impression that i thought lowerpriced roofs can outperform highgrades or any other top end binoculars.

as for the swarovski's it's both the thickness and lengh that i found wanting,the focus wheel on the leica range and nickon highgrades are much bigger adding to better control of focusing imo.

matt

Last edited:
matt green said:
i meant that if the swifts retail in the uk at £300 and the highgrades at about
£800 the highgrades optics TO SOME might not appear £500 better.

did'nt mean to give the impression that i thought lowerpriced roofs can outperform highgrades or any other top end binoculars.

as for the swarovski's it's both the thickness and lengh that i found wanting,the focus wheel on the leica range and nickon highgrades are much bigger adding to better control of focusing imo.

matt

Well, I must agree. The HHS 828 roof costs about $300 USD, and the Swaro 10x42 SLC about $1300. Is is really worth the extra $1000? Would anyone appreciate birds or nature with one that much more than the other? I was out with the HHS today. Beautiful California weather. Nice binocular. I tell you I could see every breast feather of that Northern Harrier sitting 35 yards away, and count the bands on her tail.

Ed

What is 828 HHS interpupillary minimum distance? I have quite close one - like 60-61 mm. Would they be comfortable in use?

I'd like to order those binoculars by net so I'm little bit afraid (particularly after reading that their ID is not for children) that they won't fit my eyes.

kmiernik said:
What is 828 HHS interpupillary minimum distance? I have quite close one - like 60-61 mm. Would they be comfortable in use?

I'd like to order those binoculars by net so I'm little bit afraid (particularly after reading that their ID is not for children) that they won't fit my eyes.

They will be fine for you. They fit my 6 year old daughter just fine. I can't tell you exactly what the IPD is (someone borrowed my calipers and forgot to return them) but it is less than 60 mm.
A much better choice than the Williams, i might add.

Luca said:

I hope so. Reviews are great and Swift company seems to be - from every forum I checked - like good old-school "family" biznes. And WO 8x42 opinions aren't great in terms of quality. What's more 828 are another binoculars which price in Europe is almost same as in US. Usually binoculars are priced twice more.

Luca said:
They will be fine for you. They fit my 6 year old daughter just fine. I can't tell you exactly what the IPD is (someone borrowed my calipers and forgot to return them) but it is less than 60 mm.

Agreed - my IPD is tiny and the Swifts are not quite closed up.

kmiernik said:
I hope so. Reviews are great and Swift company seems to be - from every forum I checked - like good old-school "family" biznes. And WO 8x42 opinions aren't great in terms of quality. What's more 828 are another binoculars which price in Europe is almost same as in US. Usually binoculars are priced twice more.

Got mine from WE at a lot less than the dollar price - absolutely love them - they are great with glasses and narrow eye separation - what some people might not like is the slow (but precise) focus (doesn't bother me) and the chromatic abberation of black birds against water (I see it but my brother doesn't)

Thanks to you guys I became new member of the Swift family. I've just made first observations from my balcony using my new Swift 828 HHS.

Really nice binoculars! I did not expect that they are going to be such small, handy with so clear and sharp image. They beat my Nikon Action EX 8x40 which are now going to be substitute player.

And guess what birds I've seen. Swifts of course!

I love my Swift 828 HHS bins, and endorse everything positive said about them here, they are a serious bargain and I've had startlingly good and crisp views through mine over the past few months.

I guess I will have to win the lottery before I can afford anything better, and even then I would not sell them :D

Got mine from Warehouse Express at £229.99 UK Pounds, took a while to come in stock but it was worth the wait!

Cap'n Jack

rka said:
I'm looking for a good budget birding binoculars (<US$400). After quite a bit of research, it's down to two units. Interestingly, both units are from Swift, a brand I have never looked seriously at before. Does anyone have experience with the following units:

1) Swift 828HHS 8.5x44 (Latest Roof Model)
2) Swift 820ED 8.5x44 (Porro Model)

rka

A friend owns a pair and i have used them several times.
I think the non ED 8.5 x44 Swift Porro's are a good value. They are very nice optically although a little false colour is evident if one looks for it. The field of view is very wide and the image is sharp for at least 60 % of it.

They are a bit heavy for some. thee claim to be waterproof although in rain my friend suspected the eyepieces let water in between the elements. They did clear though.

This pair is really good for hand held astronomical observation.

pretty good value for money all in all.

Kevin NZ

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back