• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

seek European info about Sotem bins and Essenbach Consul 10x40 bins (1 Viewer)

ksbird/foxranch

I have the chance to buy a pair of Essenback 10x40 Consul bins from Germany. They are the fully multicoated porro model that a friend bought in Germany. They don't say made in China, but look like Chinese product in spite of All-German descriptive language engraved on the body. They claim to be fully multicoated and the very excellent contrast seems to prove that true. Any German contributors who have experiencce with this bin in GErmany let me know. Thanks

I've also seen a very unusual pair of 15x50 Sotem bins up for trade. They employ the 7 element air-spaced and extremely yellow eyepiece design with coated/and/multicoated objectives. Don't know if the prisms are multicoated or coated at all. All the language in the booklet is Russian, nothing else, but the box has descriptions in Russian, French and German, so I imagine it is an export product. During our recent 2 blizzards and overcast blue skies, this bin worked very well and the body is the lightest magnesium design. I compared them to the Pentax 16x50 WP porro and the Yukon 16x50 Futura and this Sotem had some advantages and disadvantages. This bin is very well made and handles extremely well, but it IS a bit darker than the Yukons but less dark than the Pentax. Anyone with knowledge of this unit please let me know. Thanks

Is it really possible that the Eschenbach Consul 10x40 sold so poorly in Germany that no one know anything about this bins? bOr is the crisis of weather problems shutting down responses. We have had a cold/blizzard weather config for the century here in Kansas for a few days (-10F PM [--23.5C] and today while I sawed wood for the stove, -2F = -19C] frostbite territory). But we keep stocks of important food and life goes on. Buy Potatoes and keep warm.

I've been auditioning this Esshenbach Consul 10x40 bin for a few days (blizzard here not withstanding) and it is very good . I pulled out a pair of Lissenfeld 7xx50 roofers to see about off-brand German bins and they are pretty good too. The Consuls are very sharp and contrasty in the middle 50% of the field but get nova'l in the outer 50%. Is this something the Chines designed-in or is this nice magnesium body bin German made?

The Russian Sotem 15x50 is a blast from the past. It uses miiltary parts to make a civilian product, but the quality is really there. This item (15x50) is currently available from "NOS" stocks so it's 60s stock, but any info would be helpful.

I know that I aqm asking these questions during a blizzard in Germany (like the one we have gotten in Kansas USA, the worst in 10-20 years), but that just gives me more time to make my final decision.

Any help on these raree USA models, thank you.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back