• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage Binoculars (4 Viewers)

Not to have gradually to repeat in portions, here an old contribution again as a whole:
Bird Forum: Saturday 11th October 2008, 12:51 #21
Hans Weigum

Kern/Leica 8x30 (K/L), history and systematic description

This contribution is a slightly adapted version of a text I wrote some time ago, and therefore does not refer individually to some quite speculative statements made previously in this forum.

1.This unique design was initiated by a contract by the Swiss Army to Kern with the main goal of lowering costs of procurement and maintenance, improving mechanical resistance, while maintaining, not necessarily increasing optical performance.

2. This was mainly achieved with the, to my knowledge, first time successful large scale application of a special single hinge design. The mating surfaces of each half bino get machined after assembly of the optics such, that by joining two completed random taken halves, they get sufficiently collimated without additional means .

3. Earlier military Kern 8x30 only seem to look unchanged for decades. Originally they were slightly modified copies of the well known design of CZJ with a five lens eyepiece with telescopic cups. The last version of the forerunner of the K/L discussed here, however, adopted already the three lens design with rubber cups which the K/L design continues to use.
4. Following versions of the basic design are known to exist:

4.1 IF, “Kern” branded on black (=no laser filter fitted) plastic hinge cap: Inverted T-shaped reticle pattern: Original, today rare version, as most got a laser filter retrofitted later (see 4.2.)

4.2 As above, but with blue Kern (also Leica?) hinge cap (=w. laser filter) retrofitted (or also originally fitted?) often also with blue sticker (mentioning the filter) near one of the objectives. These retrofitted filters cemented (to the prisms ?) happen to separate in time, visible then as a brown tint when looking reversely through the optics.

4.3 As above but with a blue "Leica" hinge cap: Originally fitted with a better designed laser filter with so far no loosening problems known. Separately fitted, not cementd?

4.4 As above with black "Leica" hinge cap: Very limited civilian sales version w/o laser filter and w/o reticle
4.5 As above, but with adapter (for a "Bolex" monopod ) carrying the inscription: ”Flab”( =abbreviation for Fliegerabwehr) in line with hinge axis. Sun glare filters (for eyepieces) are stored in a small leather pouch attached to carrying sling. Complex reticle designed to be used for air target identification.

4.6. CF civilian-only version made by Kern, sold as "Pizar Elit", very few made, sold rather as a by-product of the army contract. No laser filter or reticle fitted.

5. As suggested in an earlier contribution, the K/L binos were a pure Swiss venture initiated by Kern, later continued by Leica Geosystems military department (now Vectronix), completely separate to Leica Cameras( Germany) line of binoculars. It might even be, that when Leica took over Kern, mainly interested in their surveying instrument business, was not eager, but rather obliged to continue supplying binoculars to the Swiss government, and therefore did not try to sell them elsewhere. Apart from the few 4.4.and 4.6. types directly sold to civilians, K/L were only supplied to the Swiss Army and Border Patrol, but in quite considerable numbers relative to the size of Switzerland.

11.10.08weigum

So contrary to suggestions made above, the special design of the Kern/Leica was selected to lower costs of production and maintenance. Fewer parts are required and assembly time considerably reduced as no collimation work proper has to be performed.
Why such design has not been previously been applied? Because it only seems to be simple. Bell&Howell tried a similar approach with their military 7x50 M19. There preadjusted units instead of individual components should have got changed for repair. An approach that reportedly never did work properly. RUAG, however, the Swiss Army's industrial branch, performs large scale scheduled maintenance of Kern/Leicas obviously on regular basis, as I could witness myself.

A further indicator, that a technology transfer from Leica to Kern (for this 8x30 design) was most unlikely, can be taken from the fact, that it was in fact the company Wild, that was taking over both Kern and Leica (Cambridge Instruments and Reichert as well) within a short period. Wild later adopting the name Leica for the whole conglomerate.

Property of design and probably special tooling of K/L 8x30 might be with RUAG, not Leica, nor its present day military optics successor Vectronix.
It might as well be, that when Kern was closing, Wild/Leica might have subcontracted production of the Kern/Leica to the independent optical producer FISBA.

Hans

Last edited:
EMIL BUSCH -AG Rathenow-WW1 FERNGLAS O8 INFANTRY BINOCULARS

Just an interesting little addition to the collection I picked up, WW1 08 German Infantry binoculars. They are Galilean type.
Dimensions: Height-12cm/4.75 inches when extended
Marks: To the focus wheel: the type mark (Fernglas 08) and serial number 30186 plus maker's mark Emil Busch AG Rathenow. The left hand connecting arm is marked 'X13' indicating a date of October 1913 and to the other arm is a large letter 'K'towards the bottom of one of the barrels is a number 11. This is a quite good example of the Fernglas 08 standard German infantry binocular issued across all fronts in World War One. The body is made from cast alloy with polished brass and green/grey-coloured eyepieces. They are clean inside, the glass has no scratches, and they give a very clear sharp image, appear to me to be about 6x magnification, the FOV is tiny though, like looking through a small telescope. In style I think they actually have the look of some modern open bridge roof prism makes. Very good for their age, they have a chip on one eye piece. These old WW1 bins can be picked up quite cheaply.

Attachments

• EMIL BUSCH -AG Rathenow-WORLD WAR ONE FERNGLAS O8 INFANTRY BINOCULARS-X2.JPG
    EMIL BUSCH -AG Rathenow-WORLD WAR ONE FERNGLAS O8 INFANTRY BINOCULARS-X2.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:
Just an interesting little addition to the collection I picked up, WW1 08 German Infantry binoculars. .

Hello Bencw,

Just to add a little information, they were made by several different firms: Leitz and Zeiss, as well as Busch.

Happy collecting,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

Not bad on both counts. I want at least 3.5x in a Galilean. Without
glasses I lose about 1x on Galilean. More decorative than most opera glasses.

Thanks Arthur/LPT for the information on the WW1 bins, I have a Zeiss military prismatic 6x binocular from around that time, it's obviously a lot better optically but I guess these Galilean type may have had the advantage of not being prone to be knocked out of alignment, and being virtually damage proof, given the conditions they were used in.

Thanks Arthur/LPT for the information on the WW1 bins, I have a Zeiss military prismatic 6x binocular from around that time, it's obviously a lot better optically but I guess these Galilean type may have had the advantage of not being prone to be knocked out of alignment, and being virtually damage proof, given the conditions they were used in.

Yes, and also higher light transmission because of fewer light reflecting optical surfaces and less expensive to manufacture. And perhaps not the Fernglas 08 but a lot of other Galileans could be easily disassembled in the field for cleaning if wet inside. Back in the day the old timers who preferred the Galileans over the newfangled prismatics did have some points.

They are 6X with a 4.4 FOV.

Hello LPT,

My recollection was that the Fernglas 08 was "around 5x." Additionally, they were issued to non-coms, when officers had to buy their own prismatic binoculars. That is why a German military prismatic binocular from WWI, often had the owner's name engraved on it, sometimes the regiment, as well.

Happy collecting,
Arthur

Dear all,
Hans Seeger describes in his first book "Feldstecher, Ferngläser im wandel der Zeit" Fernglas 08 extensively.
It is developed by Goerz in 1908 for the military (not for the officers they had to buy prism binoculars). Specifications are listed as 5x40 and our measurements show light transmissions of 65-70% around 550 nm, while porro binoculars from that same time period have a transmission of around 40-45%.
Fernglas 09 is made by many German binocular companies: like Bush, Goerz, Leitz, Spindler & Hoyer, Voigtländer, Zeiss. Spindler & Hoyer had it still in 1936 in production.
Seeger writes about Fernglas o8: one can consider Fernglass 08 as the final development of the history of the Holland-Lipperhey( sometimes historically not justified indicated as Galilei) theater binoculars.
Porro and roof prims binoculars became after WW-1 the most popular binocular types.
Gijs

Sard Bu Aero 7x50 Mk21 Navy

Thanks to all for all the information on the WW1 Fernglas 08. Well I picked up another military glass and might have got a bargain. I was looking around a charity shop and about to leave when I spotted an old binocular case on the top shelf behind the counter. I asked to look at it, and the lady had to reach to get it and it was obviously weighty, and dusty!! On the top of the case it said Sard, so I thought well it's probably just a Sard case. I took the bins out and there were a SARD BU AERO 7X50 MK21 NAVY, made by Square D,(military) Flushing New York. They were clean inside, just a slight film, the lenses all good, fairly good condition, in alignment, clear view, and most surprisingly the rubber eye cups intact. I asked how much, she looked at the sticker and said £15 (about $24) is that too much? well, it's a charity shop, I could hardly say yes it's too much, I happily paid the £15 and took them. They are pretty good, just some slight rubbing to lacquer on the plate edges as you would expect, I think a good find?

Attachments

• SARD-BU AERO-7X50-MK2-US NAVY-FLUSHING-NY.JPG
    SARD-BU AERO-7X50-MK2-US NAVY-FLUSHING-NY.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 236
  • SARD-BU AERO-7X50-MK2-US NAVY-FLUSHING-NY.2.JPG
    SARD-BU AERO-7X50-MK2-US NAVY-FLUSHING-NY.2.JPG
    41.3 KB · Views: 187
Last edited:
Nice ones - a good view and full of history. You'd pay at least five times (on a lucky day) as much for these on eBay.

Thanks Arthur, interesting, I had been looking for info and seen 14.5 given for one being sold, but not sure that was a MK21. I find it is pretty comfortable viewing.

Thanks Arthur, interesting, I had been looking for info and seen 14.5 given for one being sold, but not sure that was a MK21. I find it is pretty comfortable viewing.

Hellon Ben [if I may],

If you look at my link, you will see that other USN 7x50 binoculars do have 14.5mm eye relief. The Mark 21 was made to Bureau of Aeronautics specifications. The Mark 28 and the 30, have a 14.5 mm eye relief and were made for Bureau of Ships, BUSHIPS in U.S. Navy jargon.
I had a Mark 21 but I traded it for a U.S. Army 7x50 because I wear specs.

Happy collecting,
Arthur :hi:

Hellon Ben [if I may],
If you look at my link, you will see that other USN 7x50 binoculars do have 14.5mm eye relief. The Mark 21 was made to Bureau of Aeronautics specifications. The Mark 28 and the 30, have a 14.5 mm eye relief and were made for Bureau of Ships, BUSHIPS in U.S. Navy jargon.
I had a Mark 21 but I traded it for a U.S. Army 7x50 because I wear specs.
Happy collecting,

Ah, I see, thanks Arthur, these MK21 seem very comfortable for me, I don't wear my specs when using binoculars, but my IPD is quite narrow and these are only just ok fully closed to the minimum. I have often seen ref to BUSHIPS but never knew what it stood for, makes sense now, BU Aero, BU Ships.

Ah, I see, thanks Arthur, these MK21 seem very comfortable for me, I don't wear my specs when using binoculars, but my IPD is quite narrow and these are only just ok fully closed to the minimum. I have often seen ref to BUSHIPS but never knew what it stood for, makes sense now, BU Aero, BU Ships.

Hello Ben,

You are quite welcome.

Happy collecting,

You might keep an eye out for the BU Ships Mark XXX 7x50 by Spencer. It is a somewhat smaller binocular and has a larger 7.7* fov.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back