• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Vintage Binoculars (2 Viewers)

If the barrels are straight and you you're still unable to collimate by eccentric ring or prism adjustment, try shimming (extremely thin slivers of paper or metal) under one of more of the prisms. Tedious process but it should work. At the very least you should be able to conditionally align.

Thanks for the tip, much appreciated, I will try that, yes the barrels are straight, can't be more tedious than they are now, I was on the point of giving up and selling as spare or repair.

Another nice charity shop buy, yashika 7x35 porro

I was going to let this Japanese 7x35 go as it had double vision when I looked through it, but it was mint otherwise, clean inside, glass unmarked, only £10, so I thought I might be able to re-align it. When I got home, I tried the same trick that worked on the Ross, swapped the objective barrels over, and would you believe it, it worked again, collimation spot on. Last year that trick only worked for me once but that is 3 times on the trot that it has worked now. Anyway, nice sharp little glass, I tried it out in the low evening light just now and it was really quite good.

I thought I found a real bargain, there was a Viking roof, 8x42, I think Navigator? It was marked £15, I had a look, nice condition, all lenses unmarked, thought, wow, then I noticed the hinge was a little on the loose side, I looked through it and found that the left side would not focus, no movement at all. Someone had obviously had a go at trying to fix it.
Oh well, nearly a great find, that's the problem with these new waterproof, nitrogen filled bins, you cant fix them like you can a porro, it's always a factory job and then it costs as much as you would pay for a working one, which means one little internal problem and an otherwise perfect binocular is basically scrap.

Attachments

• YASHIKA-7X35.JPG
    YASHIKA-7X35.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 168
Swapping the objective barrels worked for me too. About 15 or 20 years ago I was trout fishing on the Upper Delaware river and when I stopped I went to my favorite watering hole B :) in nearby Callicoon, NY. The proprietor showed me his Pentax 16 x 50 that he used for deer hunting! He had loaned it to his brother and when he got it back it was out of alignment. I looked it over; the objective tubes did not look quite right so I switched them and the problem went away.

I got a free Guiness for my effort.:t:

Bob

Nice Hilkinson Warwick 9x35

Bob,
Couldn't stop thinking of Guinness after reading your post, had to have a couple that very night.

Got this old Hilkinson Warwick 9x35 this week, in really good condition, no marks, glass is perfect coatings unmarked, I will post in my "looks" thread too, as I bought it because I thought it a really nice looking binocular, it is quite nice to use too, clear, sharp, wide FOV, just a tad on the dark side.
I like it, but will have to start selling some off, running out of room.

Attachments

• HILKINSON-WARWICK-9X35.JPG
    HILKINSON-WARWICK-9X35.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 289
  • HILKINSON-WARWICK-9X35-2.JPG
    HILKINSON-WARWICK-9X35-2.JPG
    51.3 KB · Views: 206
Gentlemen - This is my experience with 7x35 wide angle porros. The Bushnell Rangemaster 10 degree (525 feet) model made by Fuji Photo Optical, which was imported about 50-60 years ago to the US, is the best of any 7x35 wide angle I have examined. It has a very wide sweet spot, an incredible 3-D image, and first rate resolution across the entire field. With the eye cups removed, eye glass wearers can see most of the field. When used with an extender, 2.5x or 3x, it is surprising effective as a spotting scope. Perhaps some of you have not had the opportunity to look through this model. Used ones for sale are hard to find.
John

Interesting...I have those Bushnells and some Taylors at 525ft/10degrees.
I prefer them to the 11-degree binocs because the contrast is a lot stronger.
The extra stray light in the 11-degree seems like trouble.
I haven't tried a front black sleeve on the 525's yet....that might be
very clear indeed. The Rangemasters have the focuser and the coatings
of the Bushnell Custom line. They also have an oddly wide placement of objectives...maybe that contributes to the 3D.
The other Bushnell cutoms with those eyepieces were promoted as "low wink"
to showcase that extremely wide sweet-spot (for eye placement). I don't see much
low-wink these days!

The 10-degrees binocs I call "stubbies": they are about the
profile of an 8x30. Easy to haul around. Most are fully coated and have
very tight focusers. The Rangermaster is a bit special in that regard..
...those thick-metal-slab focus arms.

Last edited:
. Thanks Ben, 8.2° is pretty good for a 9×35 if it is genuine.
Is the binocular heavy?

Hi Binastro,

It feels weighty, and solidly built, but actually weighs exactly 600g, it is quite squat, only 4ins from front of Objective to back of the eye cup, and 6 1/2ins wide.
Used it in the garden this morning and it was quite good on a bright day.

. Hi Ben,
I suspect it may have problems with ghosting or maybe glare maybe not too badly.
Anyway it looks like a nice binocular.

Yes, I forget about nicotine, and the simple detergent/water shifting something better than alcohol is not something I would have thought of.
Removing,cleaning and replacing prisms is pretty easy, the problem is re - aligning the binocular afterwards, that's the bit that can drive you nuts. I have a home built collimation device, it works, but still can take hours or even days to get them aligned. I have a Jenoptem that I have been going back to on and off for months, it just wont align, I have aligned others in between, including Jenoptems, but I cant seem to get this particular pair right, horizontal is fine, but the right image shows slightly to the right of the left image and no matter what I try with the prisms and objectives it either gets worse or ends up back just the same, it just wont align.

Oh dear, that's exactly what I was afraid of.
I was thinking about using two cheap pointer lasers and some fixturing.
First shot was with objectives on...it's way too 'reactive' to placement.
I'm thinking...put the lasers at the right spacing 20 ft away, swap the
binoculars into the flow, no lenses. Live feedback. Of course, the real
problem then is...how to nudge the prisms. Maybe clamp the binocs
and use long rods to lever things.

I can do an awesome salvage on bumped binoculars with seperate L-R
focusers. Pull the pin, and voila, two monoculars. Alignment only has to be
approximate then. There are a few nice binocs in that era. Coatings not
always great, but the resolution can be impressive. I suspect hand-figuring
and slightly parabolic surfaces are what makes the image so crisp. A felt
hood on the front cuts glare, in lieu of coating. (they are all coated up front
but not all fully coated)

I have separated single-focus binocs as well. I can make a "trombone"
focuser with wall-anchors, 1/4-20 bolts and nuts, using the hinge mounts.
It's a little wobbly though. I need to make some precision parts. If I sliced
one of the hinge-mounts I could install a real focus wheel.
It's a lot of fun with the monster field-width binocs. Really surprises people.

I think I've found a gem in the rough for old 10x50 binoculars.

The Selsi Lightweight 10x50 wide angles (7 degree) have beat 3 other 10x50s
in head-to-head window challenges for overcast, sunlight, and dusk.
Extremely sharp and deep contrast, very little barrel distortion.
I don't generally use 10x50s, but (relatively) light weight and length cut way down
on the shaking compared to other old 10x50s.

Something to keep an eye out for. They seem a bit more rugged then some other
Selsis. No alignment problems. The Selsi chassis generally has a solid focuser but later units
get get their prisms bumped in shipping at times on the 7x35s.

I think I've found a gem in the rough for old 10x50 binoculars.

The Selsi Lightweight 10x50 wide angles (7 degree) have beat 3 other 10x50s
in head-to-head window challenges for overcast, sunlight, and dusk.
Extremely sharp and deep contrast, very little barrel distortion.
I don't generally use 10x50s, but (relatively) light weight and length cut way down
on the shaking compared to other old 10x50s.

Something to keep an eye out for. They seem a bit more rugged then some other
Selsis. No alignment problems. The Selsi chassis generally has a solid focuser but later units
get get their prisms bumped in shipping at times on the 7x35s.

Thanks, I will look out for these, though this is not one I have seen often in the UK, or maybe I just have not noticed them before.

Couple of cheapies

I picked up these 2 inexpensive bins this week.

The Greenkat Japanese made 8x30 is in mint condition, it was so cheap I actually bought it for the padded case for another bin of mine, but the binocular is much better than I expected. Rubber armour and eye cups, fully coated optics, unblemished lens with a green tint to the objectives, clean inside, not a mark on it, it gives a nice clear, pretty sharp wide angle view of 446ft@1000yds. Good color rendition, pretty neutral I would say, no tint or warmness. It's not bad at all.
The Japanese made 8x40 Commodore is in nice condition, it has an impressive wide angle 472ft@1000yds FOV, but seems not quite as sharp as my other Japanese made 8x40s, in fairness, I think it might be just a fraction out of alignment so may be better when checked and adjusted. I think these were a budget binocular, but its quite heavy and solid, built much like my Swift Saratoga, but not any where near as optically good as that.

Attachments

• GREENKAT-8X30-RUBBER-ARMOUR.JPG
    GREENKAT-8X30-RUBBER-ARMOUR.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 791
  • COMMODORE-8X40 WA.JPG
    COMMODORE-8X40 WA.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 611
. Two nice additions, Ben.
Some of the Greenkat binoculars have very curved fields and a lot of pin cushion distortion. With very small eye relief. Although I have not seen your 8×30 before.
I have an 8×40 which is advertised as having a 10° field but it is actually 9.5° about. A bit of poetic licence I think. I think it is called the 10.

Thanks Binastro,

I do quite like the Greenkat, optically not top notch obviously, but not bad and the eye relief is ok for me, maybe not great but adequate and it's like new.
I think a bit of poetic licence is often used on some of these descriptions of FOV. I also think I am going to have to become a bit more discerning and disciplined in my purchases, or my home will be full up soon. The mint Greenkat was worth getting at the price, but I have no excuse for the Commodore, I just cant seem to pass by a cheap priced half decent binocular.

Oh dear, that's exactly what I was afraid of.
I was thinking about using two cheap pointer lasers and some fixturing.
First shot was with objectives on...it's way too 'reactive' to placement.
I'm thinking...put the lasers at the right spacing 20 ft away, swap the
binoculars into the flow, no lenses. Live feedback. Of course, the real
problem then is...how to nudge the prisms. Maybe clamp the binocs
and use long rods to lever things.

I made this device, I put the scope the other way round and look through it and through the binocular objective out via the ocular into the box through an old 50mm objective lens at the cross hair target, which will then appear as though it is about 100yds away. I don't worry about the cross hairs being spot on, just that both barrels are hitting the same place on the target. I have made it on this plinth as I have nowhere to mount it permanent, but it would be better clamped on a bench and being made a bit longer, this is fine for up to 8x40, but anything bigger won't fit. If useful I can post more detail on construction and how it works, with some photo's?

Attachments

• COLLIMATOR-P302.JPG
    COLLIMATOR-P302.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 730
Last edited:
Some kind of line drawing with the center rays would probably help. I can't figure out
the paths from the picture.

Oh well, sorry it's no help, it's a pretty rough and ready device anyway, very likely that your original laser idea would work better.

I have seen gunsight alignment schemes before. I was just curious about the two paths,
to make sure the compensation attempts give you the right correspondence to usage.

I will confess my own 'roughness' at this point: I only recently realized that many
binoculars were aligned not with prism movement but with 'eccentric rings' used to
skew the relative position of the objectives (the path is very sensitive to the
center of the objective, so they use that). I have since recovered 3 pairs of
misaligned binocs by finding the correct rotation of the objective cell, which I
disrupted when cleaning. There is sometimes a ring with one cut in it that can be
marked for putting the cell back in.

I mention this because fiddling the objective centerline or tilt may provide you with a
way to finally align your troublesome binocs. Or, there may be a skew you have lost
in replacing the objective cell, and you just need to discover the angle the cells
want to be at. With a loose top ring, you just nudge the cell(s) to rotate and look
at the distant target on plain background. Yours may not work like that, but it's
easy to find out if they do. It might be a 'rough tuning' before fine tuning the prisms.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back