• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from Houston (1 Viewer)

eve willhite

Hi all. I'm from Houston and love watching birds...anxious to share and learn from everyone here. While visiting in Missouri recently, I came across these two baby birds in an old cabin. Judging from the noise and terrible odor they made when we entered the house they were not at all happy we were there. Any help with identification would be greatly appreciated. Vultures? Buzzards?

Thanks!!

Eve

Attachments

• babyz.jpg
    babyz.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:
Hi Eve,

A warm welcome to BirdForum from all the Admin and Moderators.

I am afraid I can't answer your question but I am sure someone will be along soon who can.

Hi Eve,

Welcome to Birdforum. You have came to the right place to learn about Birds but not on this occassion as I don't know what they are either :--( . One of our US members will most likely know the answer.
Have a look in our gallery you will be amazed at the Birds and wildlife that can be found, and why not make a coomment on any pictures that you like as they are appreciated by the photographer.

Hi Eve, welcome to Birdforum. Not positive on this, but strongly suspect Turkey Vulture for two reasons: 1.) Beak shape - Turkey Vulture's seem to have thicker beaks with a slight hump at nostril, whereas Black Vulture's are thinner, and 2.) Range - Three references indicate the Black Vulture's Northern most, year-round range is Southeastern MO, where the Turkey Vulture's Summer range is most of USA.

Hopefully, this will help until a real Birder comes along. By the way, I live in North Houston, but have spent a lot of time in the Ozarks.

Dick

I, too, live in Houston (northwest). Welcome. If you're interested in Texas bird sightings/discussion, you might want to subscribe to TEXBIRDS (www.texbirds.org) in addition to Bird Forum. Both sites offer valuable information, guidance, and discussion, all of which have helped me as a birder.

Feel free to contact me if you feel I can help in any way.

Steve Gross
FM 1960 area

Black Vultures do nest in extreme southeast Missouri and perhaps along the Missouri/Arkansas border. If you saw these birds in any other part of Missouri they would certainly be Turkey Vultures chicks.

Welcome to BirdForum. I hope you continue to visit!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back