• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Notebooks (1 Viewer)

TheThing

Birder
Any recommendations for a good, hardback notebook for recording field observations please?

Near the end of mine and can't recall where it came from!

I use a Windsor and Newton A5 spiral bound notebook, the paper quality is a bit rough, but then so are my sketches! Have a browse on Amazon for the best prices, think mine was about £5.

For years I have happily used the "Moleskine Squared Reporter Notebook" hardbound, pocket-sized in black covers. The paper quality is exceptional and takes pencil and various inks including first-quality fountain pen inks wonderfully well. Moleskine notebooks come in a wide variety of sizes and rulings as well as many designed for sketching and art use. I'm 100% happy with my choice. They can be hard to find but I mostly buy mine from Amazon who usually always has them is stock. I try and get a half dozen at a time just in case. The only drawback I can find: they aren't exactly cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/8883705491/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller=

FWIW, my favorite "field pen" is the Namiki Vanishing Point with a broad nib custom recut to a Cursive Italic. My notes have never been easier to reread nor looked better since I've been using this combination. It does help to have a former Museum Curator's obsessively neat and fast printing as well as having survived 12 years of Catholic School and Palmer-method handwriting training! :eek!:

Marvelous, thank you all.

I should have said I'm no sketcher - I cannot draw for toffee! I'm more of a note taker.

I'm liking the look of the Moleskin.

In the field I use a slimline Filofax with a mixture of ruled and plain note papersn
Also inserted is a credit card holder for various membership cards. I also insert plastic wallets for useful info such as bird topography and a lens cloth.
The 6" ruler serves as a page marker but is also useful as a scale when photographing small artefacts.
The snag is you have to periodically remove the loose leaves and either file them (treasury tags) or transfer observations into a permament record book.

+1 for the moleskin notebook. I find the paper very good quality and I just like the feel of the notebook itself.

Ger.

Another vote for the Moleskine!! I use the cahiers though, but have found them to be very durable. They get shoved into my pockets, sat on, shoved into my bag - and take it all very well! I also prefer the squared version, though I don't sketch! I have seen the small hard bound versions and have thought of giving them a try. They fit the pocket extremely well and as stated above, the paper is great quality!

Also a happy Moleskine user here. I use various versions, but mostly the A6 reporter ruled version. I'm not a drawer, just making notes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back