• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Id Help - Manas 1 (1 Viewer)

mihir

India
Request id help for birds photographed in Manas, Assam, India

1) Black-backed Forktail?
2)
3) Grey-headed Fish Eagle?
4) White-throated Bulbul?
5)

Attachments

• _DSC0428.jpg
    _DSC0428.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 53
  • _DSC0443.jpg
    _DSC0443.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 45
  • _DSC0597.jpg
    _DSC0597.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 50
  • _DSC0715.jpg
    _DSC0715.jpg
    278.6 KB · Views: 41
  • _DSC0867.jpg
    _DSC0867.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 55
mihir Hi,

I’m thinking Hodgson’s Redstart for image 5, and Short-billed or Scarlet Minivet for image 2?

Cheers

I too am not sure on how to differentiate between short billed and scarlet. Thanks for your help.

Any more pics of the minivet? Even a bad quality pic from a different angle could help, if we can see more of the wing, and see whether or not it has the characteristic red splodges of Scarlet Minivet.

1 Agree
2 I'd lean towards Short-billed, bill seems too small for Scarlet and I think that the black bib would extend further down the breast but it would be better to see the whole wing to be sure.
3 Agree
4 Agree
5 Agree with Hodgson's

Looking at the 2nd image out of the first 5....it's bill looks less than slender, therefore I might suggest that it's more likely to be Short-billed Minivet?

Cheers

Clearly there are a lot of mis-named Minivets on the web, as I found a number with additional isolated spots on the wing and attributed to Short-billed?

Cheers

Clearly there are a lot of mis-named Minivets on the web, as I found a number with additional isolated spots on the wing and attributed to Short-billed?

Cheers

If you found some images labeled Short-billed, with isolated spots on the tertials (and inner secondaries?), as can be seen on the OP bird, then AFAIK they must be mislabeled

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back