• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (13 Viewers)

Glad I decided to take today off work. Headed over to Wintersett/Anglers on my bicycle and stumbled across a Great Grey Shrike - fantastic! The bird was by the boathouse but having been spooked by some great tits it disappeared. Thankfully (for the others who came looking) a local birder relocated it later and it did eventually fly back over to the boathouse before again flying off. The local birder I spoke with said it had been around 20 years since the last one in the area so I think we were all chuffed.

The American Wigeon and a Drake Smew were also on the Top Lake (Wintersett) so a pretty damn fine hattrick of birds in anyones book!!!

Lovely Kingfisher finished the day off nicely before heading home, even my aching body says the cycling was well worth it! :t:

Hia John
I was with you when you rang it in to BG, I was around the TR when the storm lashed..... Got p...ing wet thru'. Glad it was found again...... I went home to dry off...!:-C
Nice to meet you.......:t: Joe

Last edited:
Hia John
I was with you when you rang it in to BG, I was around the TR when the storm lashed..... Got p...ing wet thru'. Glad it was found again...... I went home to dry off...!:-C
Nice to meet you.......:t: Joe

Hi Joe

Nice to meet you too. Its a shame you didnt get a better/further view of the shrike but I hope you managed to get better views of the American Wigeon and the Smew before the storm. Thankfully I had just got to the hide on Anglers before the "end of the world weather" appeared. I sat in there for a good while freezing but at least I was dry!

Kind regards

John

I'm trying to drum up a 4 man Leeds Team for the Michael Clegg Memorial Bird Race. Sunday Jan 8th, a day's birding in the Leeds area has to be finished and scores rung in by 7.00pm.
Team members and thoughts on venue welcome.

Another bump, potentially got 3 team members now, only need another one then we can get planning.

Hi Joe

Nice to meet you too. Its a shame you didnt get a better/further view of the shrike but I hope you managed to get better views of the American Wigeon and the Smew before the storm. Thankfully I had just got to the hide on Anglers before the "end of the world weather" appeared. I sat in there for a good while freezing but at least I was dry!

Kind regards

John

John

I went down there again yestrdy, the GGS was not to be seen but a bloke we saw on Mon (he was in full camo gear, [no, it wasn't Doc] I'm sure you'll remember him) had some excellent pics on his camera, taken when the bird reappeared near the B/house later.
The Am. Widgeon was showing well, quite near the bank in the field adj. to the B/house. The drake Smew was also seen but further out nr the south bank f/bridge.
So not bad ...
Cheers Joe

Last edited:
Loshpotts

Two Tundra Bean Geese at Loshpotts today amongst the Greylags and Canada Geese.

Losh's best bird to date (better than my Little Egret) and I didn't find it:C Serves me right for not working my local patch and chasing possible Western Sands. and the like instead. Hopefully the sizeable flock will attract some White-fronts as some were seen nearby recently.

Still very pleased to add to my local patch list.

Two Tundra Bean Geese at Loshpotts today amongst the Greylags and Canada Geese.

Losh's best bird to date (better than my Little Egret) and I didn't find it:C Serves me right for not working my local patch and chasing possible Western Sands. and the like instead. Hopefully the sizeable flock will attract some White-fronts as some were seen nearby recently.

Still very pleased to add to my local patch list.

i went down on sunday to no avail, lots of other things about, sprawk, buzzard perched up after flying over the water, 4 jays together, estimated 3000 gplover... were they on the water or adjacent fields i.e next to the A1?

Had a possible Rough-leg from the train just south of Arram today. Jizz was bob on - hovering on long wings and flatter-winged flight than id expect from a Common Buzzard. I'd put money on it was a rough leg but unless it is refound we shan't know.

i went down on sunday to no avail, lots of other things about, sprawk, buzzard perched up after flying over the water, 4 jays together, estimated 3000 gplover... were they on the water or adjacent fields i.e next to the A1?

Buzzard today also. The geese were on the far bank as viewed from the Loshpott Lane feeding above the pit.

I seen the destert wheatear reported at Bempton again today. I may actually get over that way tomorrow. Are the bean geese still at Hornsea too?

I keep hearing that the Taiga is at the pond near Flower of May, but I haven't seen it on my last three attempts. Am I looking in the right place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back