• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (28 Viewers)

Early morning sightings from the Moors Pool via Dave J:

Great White Egret, 1 Little Egret, 38 Pochard (28m+10f), male Wigeon

John - today's worryingly low snipe count from the Flashes is very similar to that after the Decemeber work party; something is seriously amiss (with the habitat??)

Yes Phil the habitat to south of the 2nd Flash is but a small fraction of the ideal habitat it once was. The reeds have encroached further into the juncus and in turn the juncus has moved into the higher drier areas. Here it is not as beneficial to wintering snipe. The sedge is too tall and the cattle have completely ignored it. Last year it was mowed and proved ideal for jack and common snipe and also for lapwing nesting. I therefore predict less waders in this area next spring. Unless it is cut in March:t:

Yes Phil the habitat to south of the 2nd Flash is but a small fraction of the ideal habitat it once was. The reeds have encroached further into the juncus and in turn the juncus has moved into the higher drier areas. Here it is not as beneficial to wintering snipe. The sedge is too tall and the cattle have completely ignored it. Last year it was mowed and proved ideal for jack and common snipe and also for lapwing nesting. I therefore predict less waders in this area next spring. Unless it is cut in March:t:

Too much for us to do on the March work party (even if we borrow additional strimmers from the Trust)? Will have a good look with you next week when we walk that way to manage the blackthorn

Too much for us to do on the March work party (even if we borrow additional strimmers from the Trust)? Will have a good look with you next week when we walk that way to manage the blackthorn

I don't mind helping out. Not next week though because i will be in Norfolk, but very happy to muck in during March. B :)

Last edited:
Peter E you will be pleased to know that a treecreeper was showing intetest in one of Skeleton man's boxes that you and Bob installed. See you Tuesday👍

That is very encouraging news, John. We can hope the birds will show more interest in the boxes now that they are weathered and not so new.

Peter

Moors counts this afternoon. Highlight goes to the dog Otter which spend about 30 mins pushing the ducks around the pool, before eventually giving itself up and showing itself swimming across the pool from the East- West hide, then out towards the Salwarpe.
Birdwise GWE- flew south at 4:35 to roost on SP. Little Egret 1 (This bird was not seen to leave the moors and possibly roosted in Swampy Bottom), 29 Shoveler, c40 Teal, c100 Mallard (feeding out of view), 32 Tufted Duck, 36 Pochard (16m,10f), 1 M Wigeon, 1 GCG, 2 L. Grebe. Coot- 244, 18 Cormorant, 4 Water Rail, 3 Curlew, 3+Cetti's. Coal Tit

Sailing Pool- c4:45, GWE and 2 Little Egret in the roost

DSC01022 - Copy.JPG DSC01048 - Copy.JPG

Well done Gary. Shame I missed seeing you but had prior arrangements. Happy New Year to you.

Thanks to everyone who greeted me back to The Warren on December 31st. Brilliant. All money donated that day is now in the hands of the charities. Happy New Year everyone.

I am now in Wolverhampton after having seen the hoopoe today. The year list stands at 66. :t:

I leave my DSLR at home and...

In the crazy world of Upton Warren, the Heron in this picture was the only year tick.

Attachments

• Egrets and Heron comp.jpg
    Egrets and Heron comp.jpg
    313.2 KB · Views: 144

Users who are viewing this thread

• PHW
Back