• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar B1 7x42 Opinion (1 Viewer)

thisdudeisgood

The Dude Abides
Hello

I had a chance today to go out for 4 hours with my new Meopta Meostar B1 7x42 Binoculars and put them through their paces. -6 degrees freezing cold 1hr before sunrise. What follows is some personal opinions of my first impressions and hope they are of use to someone on the forum considering buying a pair of these.

BUILD QUALITY:

First impressions on build quality are very good with a few small exceptions.

They fit very well in the hand with a very nice stable balance and the hinge for inter pupil distance was smooth with a nice resistance moving well although I did notice that the very thick rubber armour was catching slightly on the hinge if you pressed down on the rubber while operating the hinge raising the rubber up slightly as it moved over the round hinge, also the green rubber armour can be slightly depressed both sides of the focussing barrel by pushing it down with a finger, it’s as if there is a small gap between the green rubber armour and the hard body underneath, a small observation and not a major problem but I feel the rubber armour could be better fitting in this area. Over the rest of the body the armour is snugly fitted to the aluminium chassis. Don’t let this observation put you off as it is minor and can’t be noticed when using the binocular in the field but it is a fact (well on my model anyway). Also the small Meopta insignia (sticker) on the top of the binocular was not completely stuck down on my example being ever so slightly raised at the edge.

The Focus barrel was also smooth and well designed with no play and just the correct resistance for my taste. The dioptre adjustment however is non lockable and sits closer to the face than the focus barrel but it is separated from it by a hard non moving plastic ring. So setting dioptre is just the same as focusing and works well although I suppose the possibility of moving the setting by accident does exist compared to for example locking dioptres on the eyepiece of other makes. The focusing barrel is wide enough that in practice during the 4 hour outing I did not accidentally move the dioptre setting even with thick gloves on and also the dioptre ring is slightly click type graduated and does not rotate as freely as the focus barrel so altogether this is a well designed and secure mechanism in my opinion.

The twist up eyecups were also to my liking and there was no danger of them being pushed in by accident while applying the rainguard. Just up or down, not stop click and similar in design to a Trinovid. I don’t wear glasses so I can’t say very much about eye relief only that I was able to obtain a perfect view instantly and every time I raised the binocular to my eye bang! A big perfect view that needed no adjustment of my head.

The rainguards and objective covers are of rubber and I felt worked well although I did feel the rainguard operated better when attached to the strap on both sides and slid up and down as opposed to only attached at the left or right, once attached it didn’t pop off by accident when attached to both straps. The objective covers are held on by friction rings and give a reasonable grip to the objective barrels. I lost one in the dark before sunrise and only found it again by retracing my steps about a mile....a small miracle! When I got home I realised that if you push the rings further down the barrel away from the objective lenses the grip gets snugger and far more secure, if you have the rings right up at the objective edge they may get lost as mine did. The fit of the round rubber covers into the objectives is good and secure and have a small tab for popping them open which again works well.

The strap lugs are slightly recessed and of a hard plastic, the strap is 4cm approx 1.5” wide and of a neoprene type outer with anti slip type inside fabric and a circular Meopta logo sewn into the centre on the outside, it also has a fabric strip sewn along the outside edges to give a neat finish. As the strap nears the lugs it joins to a nylon strap attached by a faux leather tab with a rivet saying Meopta on it. The straps are adjusted by a silvery colour metal buckle which I don’t like. Overall the strap is perfectly functional but I was rather disappointed with it, I thought I was going to be getting the strap you see on the Meopta website, the big chunky number with the square shaped air cells, this strap I have is just average!! The carry bag on my example is green nylon, not wool or felt and does the job just fine. Snug fit to the binoculars button lock. I don’t use the carry bag with my binoculars anyway so cannot comment any more. It looks fine to me.

The eye and objective lenses look very big and generous and have a solid look to them, bluish / purplish coatings and looking inside the tube the black finish to the barrels is superb and everything looks very neat and exact.

The binocular can be attached to a tripod.

In my box there was no from to register the binocular only the warranty card and binocular booklet. I contacted a chap named Jon at Marchwood ( the UK Importer for Meopta )and he is sending me one in the post, very helpful with great communication about 3 emails in the one day! ) Any Meostar purchased after 01/12/2010 qualifies for the new 30yr Meopta warranty which is generous.

So thats about it for my first impressions of the build quality. Overall I would say that I am pleased with the build quality and happy to own these binoculars, although my example was not built as well with a Leica Trinovid I once owned but it was £200 cheaper. Also the entire package presentation etc was not as classy as Leica. That is another of my small observations and probably meaningless.

THE VIEW:

I went out in the dark so I could judge twilight performance then full daylight. ( I tripped over a frozen horse shit and that’s when the Objective cover came off!!! That’s where I found it on the way back) Like I say -6 degrees celsius and freezing with a clear sky. I purchased 7x42 mainly for Owling and I have lots of Woodcock nearby also. I walked through open pasture, closed woodland edge, enclosed woodland and open shoreline.

I would use the word superb to explain the optical performance of these binoculars. Never having used a 7x before I am now a convert as to my eyes the -1 magnification was not even noticeable but the view was noticeably more relaxed wider and brighter than an 8x in my opinion. I am very glad I purchased these as they are a joy to look through. These binoculars are tremendous for the purpose which I purchased them for and am delighted with the image quality.

I was able to pick out Brown hares at about 80yrds that I could not even see with my naked eye in the near darkness. The detail and brightness was far superior to the naked eye, revealing detail like wood grain / frost crystals etc otherwise invisible to the naked eye. The light transmission properties of the coatings must be very high.

The view through these is what you would call ‘walk in’ being hugely bright, relaxed, effortless and the wide wide field was sharp almost to the edge. In this respect the edge sharpness was superior to any other binoculars I’ve owned to date. The depth of field is also superb and only very minor adjustments to focus were required, again in this respect the depth of field is superior to any binocular I’ve ever owned. Also Meopta state a close focus of 2.9m or thereabouts, to my eyes I could focus them to 1.9m using a tape measure and still having binocular field.

Meopta also don’t advertise the Meostar as having any easy clean or anti mist lense coatings but I had no trouble with these misting up despite the freezing temperatures. I am pretty fat and give off a fair bit of heat..Ha! I have had this problem with other binoculars before and in higher temperatures but not these. I’m happy with these coatings.

Panning around was very smooth also with no globe effect and the flatness of the image brought a smile to my face, as the twilight turned to daylight the tack sharp image and superior contrast told me that these are indeed very high quality glass. I had 5 Woodcock overall and had no trouble following them in flight against a twilight sky. Also getting onto Dunnocks, Coal Tits & Blue Tits in thick woods was effortless. A Grey Wagtail in streamside foliage and a Single Redwing in a Yew in half darkness was also bang on. Target acquisition was first time every time!! Oystercatcher, Redshank, Curlew and Lapwing on the shore were also razor sharp with that greenish sheen from the Lapwings lovely.

In the conditions this morning I found the colours to be very true to life indeed and could personally discern no hint of a warm tone. To my eyes the white frost just looked white. Also in the conditions this morning I couldn’t really see any CA at all and even when it got relatively bright I though it to be very small and insignificant for my purposes.

I don’t doubt that more expensive binoculars using ED or FL Glass may give better contrast (although I have never looked through any ED or FL glass) but I feel that these 7x42 Meoptas give me an image quality at least on a par with a pair of Leica Trinovid 10x32BN I once owned ( obviously the Meopta being far brighter ) and the Meopta image is far superior in all respects in comparison to a pair of Pentax DCF SP 8x32 that I currently own and that are in the same price range (although the Pentax has no build quality issues other than a duff rainguard).

In summation I would say that to date these are my favourite Binoculars and I have no regrets about purchasing them. They are a pleasure to use and having used 8x and 10x binoculars before I now think 7x is an ideal format for me. I can find no fault with the image and can’t find anything critical to say about it at all although I am no optics buff. It is superb. There are a few tiny wee minor niggles with the build quality of my example in my opinion but with a 30yr guarantee and the very reasonable price tag I am still happy. For the price it is now my opinion that you won’t match them for all round image quality and I agree with others in these forums who’s advice I followed about these Meoptas .

I would love to own a pair of Zeiss Victory 7x42FL Lotutec in Green and I was saving for them, but at a price of around £800 more than this Meopta I am asking myself can it be Justified?!?;)

Good comprehensive write up.

One point ...

also the green rubber armour can be slightly depressed both sides of the focussing barrel by pushing it down with a finger, it’s as if there is a small gap between the green rubber armour and the hard body underneath, a small observation and not a major problem but I feel the rubber armour could be better fitting in this area.

That's actually a feature not a bug (though it's been reported here a couple of times!).

They designed in that give to soften up the thumb resting spots. Meopta do mention it in their marketing material.

I like it on my 8x32.

Any Meostar purchased after 01/12/2010 qualifies for the new 30yr Meopta warranty which is generous.

I'm not sure what the European warranty was but it was lifetime in the USA. I wonder if Meopta US warranty has changed too?

The other comment is: Are they not bound by the EU 10 year max warranty period (that the Euro top 3 claim)?

Interesting to see they changed the strap design. I do like the "old" strap.

Last edited:
if you pressed down on the rubber while operating the hinge raising the rubber up slightly as it moved over the round hinge, also the green rubber armour can be slightly depressed both sides of the focussing barrel by pushing it down with a finger, it’s as if there is a small gap between the green rubber armour and the hard body underneath, a small observation and not a major problem but I feel the rubber armour could be better fitting in this area.

The strap lugs are slightly recessed and of a hard plastic,

Thisdude,

I checked my Meostar 7's and found that under the "soft" part of the armor there is nothing to glue the rubber to. This must be why it's a little spongy there. I lifted it up and did see the mechanism or focusing rods. I don't think it's a defect... just a result of the design. Personally... I didn't remember this until you mentioned it.

The strap lugs on my 7's are metal for sure. You might want to check again.
I don't think any good binocular uses plastic for the lugs. Mine have a few scratches from use and are definitely metal.

Enjoy the view!

Cheers

kevin,

Didn't see your post. I think dude is talking about the top by the focusing knob... not the thumb rests

Cheers

Hi Gents

Thanks for the comments.

Yeah the soft spots are on the top either side of the focusing barrel where the raised dots on the grip are. My thumb indents below are solid with no give.

If you guys say the flex is designed in then that's good enough for me and I then retract my statement about that issue. That certainly sounds plausable. To my taste though I would still prefer them to be hard all over and feel this 'give' cheapens the overall handling, but if it's a design feature I do feel better about it and you are correct to say that in the field it can't be noticed at all anyway.

(although that still doesn't explain the way the rubber on the right barrel just over the main hinge near the focus pops up then down a litte when you move the hinge through its full range, in particular when the inter pupil distance is almost maxed out and the barrels almost at their maximum distance apart......this is hard to describe but its almost as if there is a small screw in the hinge underneath the rubber and the rubber passes over.......the phenomenon only happens if you are applying force with your finger to the rubber along the hinge line but if you put your fingers on the outside of the barrels and adjust the hinge the problem disappears!!!!!..........anyway it is minor and im not losing any sleep over it)

I checked again and you guys are right, the Lugs are metal so I take back the comment about them being plastic. They are indeed metal!

I wish I had the good strap but I think that may only be available in the US market......you lucky people!!

The Warranty here in the UK before 01/12/2010 was 10 years.

They are fine binoculars.:t:

Hi Gents

(although that still doesn't explain the way the rubber on the right barrel just over the main hinge near the focus pops up then down a litte when you move the hinge through its full range, in particular when the inter pupil distance is almost maxed out and the barrels almost at their maximum distance apart......

They are fine binoculars.:t:

Thisdude,

I think you mean when the barrels are at their minimum distance apart.

Just lift up the rubber armor on the right side when you have the binocular adjusted to its minimum IPD and you'll see the rubber armor edge catches a little bit on the chassis as it closes from this position. No screws or anything else in there.

Go ahead... pull that armor back and look. Ahhh... who cares... just go find some birds!

Cheers

Last edited:
My wife has one of the early 7x42 B1s (5 years old) and I agree with most of your comments.
A yellow tint can be seen if one looks through the objectives at a white sheet of paper and initially Meopta were probably catering to the hunting market.
There have been some improvements to the objective covers and twist-up eyecups but the rainguard is still liable to fall apart. I have replaced it with this:
http://www.frankonia.de/201576/1304...allery&articleNumber=56408&navCategoryId=6733 (also available in black) and have also put one on my SLC.

John

Thisdude,

I think you mean when the barrels are at their minimum distance apart.

Just lift up the rubber armor on the right side when you have the binocular adjusted to its minimum IPD and you'll see the rubber armor edge catches a little bit on the chassis as it closes from this position. No screws or anything else in there.

Go ahead... pull that armor back and look. Ahhh... who cares... just go find some birds!

Cheers

Yeah I see what you mean. I looked under the rubber armour on the right hand side and It's just the rubber catching on the chassis as you say. No screws as you say. It must be common to all 7x42 Meostars then and not just yours and mine! That rubber comes away way to easy for my liking.

It seems to be a deficiancy in the design in my opinion, as you said before you can see the adjustment rods / workings etc and if I can see them then so can dust and rain etc!! So after taking your advice and looking in there I am a wee bit concerned about the long term mechanical durability of these Bins, because of the design the oportunity for dust etc to get in there remain a possibility . I think Meopta need to improve this design but thats just my humble opinion.

Has anyone on the forum had durability problems with these over prolonged use I wonder??

Still a fantastic view though and Im still happy:t:

Cheers:t:

It seems to be a deficiancy in the design in my opinion, as you said before you can see the adjustment rods / workings etc and if I can see them then so can dust and rain etc!! So after taking your advice and looking in there I am a wee bit concerned about the long term mechanical durability of these Bins, because of the design the opportunity for dust etc to get in there remain a possibility . I think Meopta need to improve this design but thats just my humble opinion.

Remember that those push rods go through seals before they enter the "interior" of the binocular housing (to keep the bin waterproof for immersion). The armor isn't making the bin waterproof. The dust or rain, I suspect, is not going to enter into the bin through this route as long as the seals hold.

It seems to be a deficiancy in the design in my opinion

Thisdude,

I regularly wash my binoculars under water and have dropped, kicked and gotten dirty over the years and no problems. This design might be the way it is to help facilitate repair if needed. Might be a way to look at it.

Sorry you find the design to be deficient. Your opinion was based on what knowledge? ;)

Cheers

Good points you make there men. Good points indeed. If you say they are durable and you wash them underwater etc and they are still fine then that's reassuring and I believe what you say. I can see how it would probably be a design that would allows easy access to repair in the factory.

Perhaps deficiancy was the wrong choice of word to use as I have not owned these bins long enough for any design deficiancy to show and so have no proof of any deficiancies, but I can say this is the ony pair of bins ive ever had that have this peculiar design and I think its an odd design feature.

Im sorry but I dont like it although I think I can live with it given the superb optics. Im sure after a while and more birds I will forget all about this small issue...................either that or I will have to persuade my wife that I really must have a pair of Zeiss Victory 7x42FL after all!!!!
Ha....I wish....maybee next Christmas eh??!!!

Cheers & happy Christmas to you all:-O

Well...I find very acceptable to point a design peculiarity and find it "less than desirable",even if this caracteristic is not a flaw,and only cosmetic ..I think You have paid good money for Your glasses,and You are inspecting and evaluating the product (part of the fun!!!)..Your opinion doesnt need to be based in any particular knowledge,as no one asked You for your resume when they took your credit card...I think Your evaluation is very honest and is appreciated..even if the binos hold well to abuse,even if the design is not flawed,maybe can be improved,..I am sure meopta will appreciate the feedback too...make sure to mention this,as customer feedback ,in your respectful ,well manner style when you request the open cell strap...
Marry Christmas

Mayoayo,

Didn't mean to be too hard on Thisdude when I asked him about what knowledge he had to deem his new Meopta glass deficient.

You mentioned... "Your opinion doesnt need to be based in any particular knowledge"

I would think think that an opinion should be formed by some kind of knowledge. Wouldn't you place some value on that?

Only tried to help because I have a good few years behind these bins...

Cheers

Hello everyone and happy new year. Hope you all had a good Christmas and best wishes for 2011!

Just a quick update on the Meostars....,

John at Marchwood forwarded me the form to fill in for the 30 year warranty, very fast and friendly. I've now sent the form off to Meopta.

I also took Mayoayo's advice and contacted Meopta in the Czech Republic asking for the air cell strap and wool case. A chap named Surujh replied right away and was very helpfull indeed, he popped the better strap and case in the post and I got them today, free of charge. Great customer service. (fantastic strap and case too) The new air cell strap is far superior to the one in my original review, with this strap you can't even feel you have the Bin's round your neck!

He mentioned that the padded cell strap and wool case have only become standard with the Meostar range of bins recently and that my original strap and case were standard issue a while ago.

( This tells me that the Bins I bought may have been in stock at the retailer in the UK for a while!...not that that matters much as the bins themselves have not changed, only the improved strap and case )

These Meostars are top quality having been out with them now numerous times. For glassing in woodland or poor light they are supreme!! They are superb all round but in the woods especially these are really amazing, bright, sharp and easy to get onto target 1st time. You miss nothing with these.

If anyone out there is after a 7x42 for sensible money you can't go wrong with these.....go get a pair, you won't be dissapointed!!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back