• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Stupid weekend trip to Tenerife, Canary Islands 26 - 27th July 2014 (1 Viewer)

wolfbirder

Most of you will probably think I am stupid, 4 hours Ryan Air 'sardine' flight each way, one night on the island birding and then back home again.

Well, having had a 4 night trip to Eastern Turkey, and "allowed" my better half to go to New York with her sister and parents for 5 nights, I reckoned I was due a night!

And when I realised I could fly from East Midlands to Tenerife South for £130 return, leaving on Saturday 26th at 10.35am arriving about 3pm, then return on the 1940 flight back on Sunday 27th arriving home at midnight, the trip was on.

Possibilities being 6 endemics - Blue Chaffinch (a bird I really wanted to see), Plain Swift, Canary Islands Chiffchaff, Canary Islands Kinglet (aka Goldcrest), and both Bolle's and Laurel Pigeons - all would be lifers and new to my WP list.

Sadly, I realised I had no time for investigating coastal spots to seawatch, nor to take a ferry to La Gomera for shearwaters and petrels. None are guaranteed these days anyway, Cory's of course but not the Little Shearwater's that I would like to have seen.

As usual I was overly optimistic, just finding 4 of the 6 in my days birding. Car hire cost £39 (pre-paid voucher with Hertz) (I have an separate annual excess policy of my own), and the car only used 23 euros of petrol !! It was a superb highly economical VW Up, a car I have never driven. Ideal for my driving which totalled about 200 miles. Tenerife has good roads in the main, but I must have driven 500 hair pin bends as I drove northward up and around El Teide and then around the western half of the island.

Great care must be taken driving on Tenerife, or you will hit a barrier or even worse, its not the place to bird-watch whilst driving, although with just 20 species seen, that was never a real problem!

My one nights accommodation was up in the mountains at Vilaflor, at the superb but very quiet and scenic Hotel Spa Villalba. A birding mate of mine Steve (aka The Snapper) had previously recommended this superb hotel on this site, with great birds in it's own grounds. If your other half likes Spa hotels and is happy to read a book while you go birding, I can also recommend this hotel for a quiet surprise trip for a few nights. The accommodation was not the cheapest, booked via Booking.com, about £70 B & B, but overall the trip cost me just under £300 - flights, car hire, hotel, petrol.

It was overcast when I arrived at Tenerife South Airport mid-afternoon on 26th July, ironically cooler than the stiflingly hot UK I left behind, much to the discerning looks of my fellow holidaying Ryan Air passengers, but that suited me fine. The motorway TF1 is adjacent to the airport and easy to link to and from. I was soon off the motorway heading up into the mountains to Vilaflor, and frustratingly into the dense cloud base which covered the town in a misty fog. Plain Swifts were everywhere on the way up, maybe a few hundred of them. Also many Feral Pigeons/Rock Doves and a couple of pale Collared Doves, but nothing more enticing.

I located my well-signposted hotel which is off the TF21 at the top end of town, and half a mile from it. As I approached, a Kestrel was perched on a post nearby. After checking in, dumping my bag, and bagging a dump (dodgy McDonalds near the airport!!), I was off and out, checking the trees in the gulley at the back of the hotel, and I immediately heard a powerful call belonging to Blue Chaffinch. In the murky conditions, I watched 5 of these handsome birds walking along branches, at least 2 were males.

Leaving the hotel, and moving on, I climbed further up the TF21 for several miles in my car, and after just ten minutes emerged above the cloud base into the beautiful sunshine. Looking back, the view was tremendous, with the top of the cloud-base laid out like a giant, 'fluffy' carpet expanding across to the horizon. Just ten miles from my hotel, but around fifty hairpins later, a huge "Las Lajas" sign welcomes visitors to this popular family picnic site, to the left of the road. Large numbers of locals use the large picnic tables and BBQ grills, but they simply ignore western birders having undoubtedly become accustomed to them. Just drive along the straight, bumpy track for about 200 metres as far as you can, and park up just before a hardcore 5 -A-side football pitch with goalposts carved from tree branches. Just before and to the left of the pitch is an obvious small stone hut, and within ten metres of that is a small tree that birds seem to be very attracted to. Undoubtedly the best times to visit are early morning (not crack of dawn necessarily) or early to mid evening, as the birds are more active then.

I joined two other birders sat in the shaded porch of the stone hut and quietly watched birds come down to the small, inconspicuous carved out, concrete bowl that is filled with water, at the foot of this particular small tree. I spent a very enjoyable hour between 6-7pm here, enjoying superb views of 5 more Blue Chaffinches (including 2 males), 5 'squabbling' 'local race' Great Spotted Woodpeckers (2 female, 2 juv, 1 male), and a juvenile Canary, all that periodically came down for a drink. Great stuff!

I returned to the hotel and was in bed by 9pm, waking early on the 27th July for breakfast included in the rate, starting at 7.30am. Coffee, scrambled egg on toast, local jams, fruit and yogurts were enjoyed as I sat on the 'chilly' veranda, too early and too cold for any bird activity or for anyone else.

I was soon on the road, and by 8am I was again at the same spot at Las Lajas picnic site, watching birds come down to drink at the base of the same tree, the one that is about half the size of nearly all the others. This morning, I only saw 2 Blue Chaffinches and 1 female Great Spotted Woodpecker, but birds were 'swarming' up and down the small tree - about 10 Canary Islands Chiffchaffs, and several Canaries and African Blue Tits. Strange that the Chiffchaff's and Blue Tits had been virtually absent here the previous night.

I had to move on, and upward, along the TF21 towards El Teide National Park, the huge volcano 'towering' above the expansive molten landscape, and sandstone 'spaghetti-western-type' crags. The scenery on this quite beautiful morning was magnificent, but the arrival of the first tourist coaches reminded me I had to stop parking up at viewpoints and crack on, especially as birds were virtually non-existant, with only a couple more Canary Islands Chiffchaffs, 2 Bertholot Pipits, and 2 Southern Grey Shrikes on show.

Having passed El Teide, I weaved my way down towards the northern coast at Port De La Cruz, stopping briefly at a viewpoint within the Corona Forestal (forest) near Aguamansa where I enjoyed superb views of a dozen Plain Swifts skimming low over the heather as they fed. Despite seeing a few hundred of these over the 2 days, it was not easy to obtain quality views of this rather 'drab-looking' hirundine, so I was pleased. But time was passing on, and progress on the winding roads was slow at times, and I arrived at the viewpoint at La Grimona on the northern coast way too late in the day - 11.30am! Looking up the slope, I could see Buzzard, Kestrel and Rock Doves, but I was struggling without a scope (having just traveled light). It was not the easiest or most pleasant place to bird-watch either. It is accessed immediately after the 2nd tunnel travelling westward only, from Port De La Cruz on the TF5 dual carriageway. After twenty minutes here I had seen nothing special, but just as I was about to move on, I caught site of a large pigeon flying to the right, and with 'all-brown' wings it was clearly a Laurel Pigeon, but sadly it disappeared all too quickly. But I was lucky to have seen that to be honest.

An alternative to La Grimona, after the birds have left their roost site there, is 'Mirador de Lance', accessed back towards Port de La Cruz and before reaching it take the exit for Los Realejos off the TF5 dual-carriageway, then head up hill through this town and take the sign for La Guancha on the TF342. Unfortunately, once at the viewpoint I could see no pigeons looking down from here, so I carried on westward along the northern side of the island on the TF342 via hairpin bend after hairpin bend. This road connected the villages of Icod el Alto, La Guancha, La Mancha, Icod de los Vinos, and then I was onto the adjoining TF82 through the villages of Genoves, San Juan del Reparo, El Tanque, and eventually a good one and a half hours later I arrived at the village of Erjos. Certainly not the quickest route! Just west of Erjos village, the TF82 rises and then looks down onto Erjos Pools. I had to double back to connect to the rough track that I realised lead down to them. In the heat of a mid afternoon there was not much to see predictably. A few Canaries and Linnets, 2 juvenile Turtle Doves 'flushed', and another Canary Islands Chiffchaff. On the pools just a Coot with a youngster, and a Moorhen with young, as well as a farmhouse duck! A few Buzzards and Kestrels were patrolling the hillsides but the only pigeons perched up on dead tree branches were Rock Doves/Feral Pigeons. A bit disappointing, but I could have spent a bit longer here, but time again was of an essence.

I then connected to the TF375 and by Arguayo I saw 5 Ravens in flight, and after Arguayo I soon connected onto the TF38 back in the direction of the El Teide National Park, but having partially circumnavigated the north-western edge of the island, I was now approaching it from a western perspective, instead of from the south as I had done earlier in the day from Vilaflor. Sounds all very confusing, but only important if you want to track my route. Along the TF38, heading upward towards El Teide National Park, is Zona Recreativo de Chio (Chio picnic site) on your right, another extremely popular picnic and BBQ site with local families, especially on a sunny, Sunday afternoon! I only spent half an hour here, 'glimpsing' Canary Islands Chiffchaff, Great Spotted Woodpecker, , and then as a family packed up and departed from one of the large benches, at least 5 Blue Chaffinches descended from the trees to pick off any scraps underneath the bench. At least 2 were adult males, and views from five metres were excellent, although as others have remarked it is uncanny how they seem to like to stay in the shadows. Still, I had certainly had my fill of this attractive species with its blue plumage and its shiny, steely-blue bill. 6 Ravens were nearby.

It was time to head back towards the airport, driving with great care along the descending, narrow, winding roads between Vilaflor and the airport (Tenerife South), with Plain Swifts and Rock Doves/Feral Pigeons all around, plus a couple of pale-looking Collared Doves. I briefly checked out Golf del Sur near the airport, but without going in and viewing from the road I only added Hoopoe.

I handed the car back in to Hertz at about 5.30pm, and checked in, the flight was twenty minutes late in departure, but I arrived home at midnight, and was in bed by 2am this morning. Knackered.

Just 20 species had been seen, too few to even both listing separately. My main target bird was in all honesty quite an easy one - the Blue Chaffinch. And I was really pleased with the great views achieved.

Canary Islands Chiffchaff was also new to me (as a full species) but it hardly gets the pulse racing, in fact I found the local-race (sub-species) Great Spotted Woodpecker's more interesting. They showed superbly at Las Lajos.

I was also really pleased with the views of WP-lifer number 3 - Plain Swift, a bird that is both plain and lives on the plains, as well as the hillsides, in fact all over the island.

My 4th WP lifer was Laurel Pigeon, but I was very disappointed with the brief view, though it was clear what it was. I should have been at La Grimona viewpoint much earlier in the day to see Bolle's and Laurel Pigeon, or even during the evening the previous day, though without scope I may well still have struggled. I was not devastated I must admit, Pigeons just don't do it for me. However rare.

I didn't have a sniff of Canary Islands Kinglet (Canary Islands Goldcrest) anywhere!

Overall I was content rather than 'really pleased' with my lot, with African Blue Tits, Canaries, Southern Grey Shrikes, Hoopoe, Turtle Doves, and a few Bertholot Pipits also thrown in. But Tenerife is another place I can now remove from my must-visit list of WP venues. The total of 20 species seen highlights what an 'orthinological desert' Tenerife is, especially mid-summer.

But I knew that, so no complaints.

A few images from the trip:-

1) Sorry the image is on its side, but it shows the Hotel Spa Villalba at Vilaflor. It is signposted the top end of town off the TF21, infact at the top end is an overflow car park and track that can be taken without going into the hotel. If I had had time I would have investigated it further.

2) Las Lajas picnic site - ten miles approximately uphill from Vilaflor. It is well signposted, and at the top end of the straight access track is a small five-a-side hardcore football pitch. Just to the left of it is this small stone shed or outhouse where you can sit in the shade to view the small tree to the left in this image. At the base of it is a small concrete bowl filled with water. It was very productive morning and evening. There may well be other good spots here too.

3) The approach track once you have turned onto Las Lajas, the small football pitch can just be seen at the top end, with the outhouse in photo 2 to the left in this image.

4) El Teide National Park - a view across the expansive landscape. The 'shadow' is looking hard for non-existent birds.

5) View from Aguamansa viewpoint at Corona Forestal (Forest) on the TF21, heading down towards Port de La Cruz and Los Realejos, with La Grimona viewpoint probably just on the other side of the distant headland. I had superb views of Plain Swift here.

Attachments

• Hotel Spa Villalba, Vilaflor, Tenerife.jpg
    Hotel Spa Villalba, Vilaflor, Tenerife.jpg
    522.7 KB · Views: 161
  • Las Lajas, Tenerife.jpg
    Las Lajas, Tenerife.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 95
  • Las Lajos approach Tenerife.jpg
    Las Lajos approach Tenerife.jpg
    333.1 KB · Views: 113
  • El Teide National Park, Tenerife.jpg
    El Teide National Park, Tenerife.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 107
  • Corona Forestal Viewpoint Aguamansa, Tenerife.jpg
    Corona Forestal Viewpoint Aguamansa, Tenerife.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Cheers Steve, £300 is a lot of money these days. I guess it is questionable whether it is value for money. Time is of an essence for me, having kids, otherwise I would have stayed longer.

But no regrets, I got to see what I really wanted. My comment was tongue in cheek, though I think others might just agree with it. A bit self depreciation does one no harm.

I've day-tripped both Mumbai and even more stupidly Singapore*, when someone has paid me to work there, the the Canaries sounds positively sane to me!

*Rather more travel time than a day of course.

Its not always easy with a family.. Trying to take them all abroad during school hols is tricky/expensive too. I'd do what you did.. But negotiated about 4 days out there!

I reckon for four ticks £300 compares well with say, day-twitching Shetland or Fair Isle for one.

Besides, sometimes its for the sheer hell of it, its great when in the office they say: "You did what!!!"

Good show

John

Jane, Peter, John - thanks for 'sanitising' my mentality!

Sometimes you just have to do what you have to do, even if you are'nt particularly successful!

Birding is my sanctuary! As it is for many of us.

PS Next time a reliable male Rubythroat crops up on the isles I think I might go for it too!

Day tripping fine by me :)

PS. the owner of this here internet connection did a day trip to a village in the middle of outer yonder in middle Tanzania a couple of months ago. And that is one mean fate from Eastern Europe :)

Having done a buiness trip from the US east coast to Tokyo for a one hour meeting, I think a four hour flight for 24 hours of birding is perfectly sane.

But who am I to judge?

At least you have a list of 'hard to get targets' which you actually get Jos! :)-

A four hour journey isn't actually much different to a day trip from the English midlands to the coast Jeff, I suppose its more the cost.

But that's it this year for me, no more big trips.

I play the long term game.
Eventually you will see these sort of birds sooner or later.
Before you know it the kids will have grown up and you will have more time[and money!] to go to these sort of places.
I have never gone twitching in this country :I reckon I will see foreign rarities on a relaxing holiday or cruise abroad.
Even when I go to another country I don't bust my gut chasing birds around:I am on holiday after all so I want to relax and enjoy myself.
In Gambia there were over 50 species in the hotel grounds alone.Most were lifers;many seen whilst lying on a sunbed in the hotel gardens.
Not chasing birds has resulted in a life list of 680:it could have been a lot more if I had made more effort!-my UK list is very low.I am more interested in strolling around some brilliant patches around our area.
I always remember meeting a birdwatcher one morning.He said he was going to Stranraer after work, to catch a ferry;drive a 100 miles in Ireland and hopefully see a House Crow.
This sounded like hard work to me.
I told him I was off to Goa that day and I wagered I would see a House Crow before he did:the difference being I would be sitting on my verandah sipping a cold Kingfisher beer!
I am not sure who saw the House Crow first but I know who had the most chilled-out experience!

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with day tripping :) Every winter we get fed up with being cold and the conversation goes something like this. Her… "I'm cold, let's go somewhere". Me… "I've only got two days leave left". (Imagine sound effects of both rushing to the computers and cranking up the airline and hotel websites). Her… "What about La Palma or Lanzarote and we haven't been to Tenerife yet". Me… "There's always Paphos or perhaps Malaga".
Now, I'm not saying we choose the destination with birds in mind, but oddly I seem to recommend places with species I'd like to see, say Lanzarote for Bustards, Trumpeter Finch, etc. The best thing about it is that it's completely spontaneous and we could end up anywhere (Hong Kong once) as long as it's warm with birds :)

You only live once so why wait until tomorrow if you can do it today!
No matter the results it was an adventure worth trying if that was what you fancied. £300 doesn't buy that much so I reckon it was reasonable value compared to say, tickets for a major sporting event or an overnight stop in London and West End theatre tickets.

I play the long term game.
Eventually you will see these sort of birds sooner or later.
Before you know it the kids will have grown up and you will have more time[and money!] to go to these sort of places.
I have never gone twitching in this country :I reckon I will see foreign rarities on a relaxing holiday or cruise abroad.
Even when I go to another country I don't bust my gut chasing birds around:I am on holiday after all so I want to relax and enjoy myself.
In Gambia there were over 50 species in the hotel grounds alone.Most were lifers;many seen whilst lying on a sunbed in the hotel gardens.
Not chasing birds has resulted in a life list of 680:it could have been a lot more if I had made more effort!-my UK list is very low.I am more interested in strolling around some brilliant patches around our area.
I always remember meeting a birdwatcher one morning.He said he was going to Stranraer after work, to catch a ferry;drive a 100 miles in Ireland and hopefully see a House Crow.
This sounded like hard work to me.
I told him I was off to Goa that day and I wagered I would see a House Crow before he did:the difference being I would be sitting on my verandah sipping a cold Kingfisher beer!
I am not sure who saw the House Crow first but I know who had the most chilled-out experience!

I can see a new thread here! Best hotel verandahs, poolsides, beaches etc, to see birds while drinking cold beer. In fact, I think I'll start one later.

I can see a new thread here! Best hotel verandahs, poolsides, beaches etc, to see birds while drinking cold beer. In fact, I think I'll start one later.

I have got a list as long as your arm but always willing to learn about a few more!

When we went to Fuertaventura we stayed in Caleta De Fusta where there were birds like Cream Coloured Courser,Kentish Plover,Great Grey Shrike and Fuertaventura Chat all within walking distance from the hotel: a perfect combination of relaxation and birdwatching.
I heard that some birdwatchers would fly into the airport and go to Wilson's Barranco to see a Fuertaventura Chat.
The Barranco is right next to the airport.
After ticking it off they would then take the next flight out!
Sounded like hard work to me but each to their own.

Last edited:
I sympathise with all the views here. On the one hand I like twitching rare birds but it is costly and tiring. But I enjoy the adrenalin rush too. I also like easy birding, Gambia is on my dream lists but with 2 young children, and me being aged 52, the liklihood of exotic trips with time on my hands is unlikely. I cannot in the future afford the time or money to go galavanting off. That is my choice BTW, but I will be in my late 60's before the kids 'fledge'.

Everyone is different, but I realise I am getting older, but I have done most European countries with Poland, Switzerland on my schedule of must do's, plus Israel and Gambia dreams. Also want to return to Eastern Turkey and Hungary, and Mallorca which I love.

Cool, enjoyable report as usual Nick. I still refer to your "Spanish Steppes" one when going to Los Monegros and Ebro Delta at Xmas each year.. :)

As for pigeons, I have just been to Colombia and hiked for 7 hrs with a 600mm lens and tripod and 300mm lens in a ruck sack up a really rocky track in order to see some of the Santa Marta endemics.. other than Santa Marta brush finch, which I had seen already at the El Dorado lodge, the only new species for me was a band tailed pigeon.. hmm... still not sure it was worth all the effort, but the views were great and I could hear howler monkeys!

Gambia would be a distinct possibilty Wolfbirder, depending on the children's ages.
There was a couple at our hotel with young children.
There are some good deals out there.

Have you been to Fuertaventura?
Lots of deals and hotels for families.
Caleta De Fusta is ideal as you can reach a lot of good birdwatching locations easily from there[its more central than Corralejo].
Costa Calma further south is a good location for birds too.

I've seen Magnificent Frigatebird and Belted Kingfisher while swimming in the hotel pool in Florida, does that count?

John

Cool, enjoyable report as usual Nick. I still refer to your "Spanish Steppes" one when going to Los Monegros and Ebro Delta at Xmas each year.. :)

As for pigeons, I have just been to Colombia and hiked for 7 hrs with a 600mm lens and tripod and 300mm lens in a ruck sack up a really rocky track in order to see some of the Santa Marta endemics.. other than Santa Marta brush finch, which I had seen already at the El Dorado lodge, the only new species for me was a band tailed pigeon.. hmm... still not sure it was worth all the effort, but the views were great and I could hear howler monkeys!

Thanks very much Kev. I used to be be a bit more adventurous but comfort comes first now.

There are a couple of recent reports from an American birder on this subforum who was owling in South America. Hardcore but fascinating stuff, just like Jos's adventures. Always an absolute pleasure to read.

I was being a bit harsh on pigeons/doves. Infact one bird i would love to see in the WP is Namaqua Dove (is that the spelling?)

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back