• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best lightweight fluid head? (1 Viewer)

Mr. Monday

I'm specifically looking at the Leica VH1 and the Manfrotto Befree Live. Ignoring the obvious price difference, which one would be more steady/fluid for videography?

The Befree Live has the 'Fluid Drag System' but I don't see how this system is any different from the drag system used in the VH1.

The Befree Live has a higher payload but I don't believe that all manufacturers measure tripod payload using the same methods so I don't trust this stat.

I would love to hear from someone who has handled both!

Last edited:
I ended up purchasing the Befree Live head after I was informed that the VH1 is a rebadged Benro S2. From what I've read, the Befree has a better drag system than the S2.

From my limited time with the Befree I have found that the pan function has the perfect amount of resistance but the tilt doesn't have quite enough resistance to be smooth with a 65mm spotting scope. This makes sense considering the size of the tilt hinge. When I take into account the weight of the head I really can't fault it. I could save 2.5oz by switching to the outdoorsman pan head and have the same functionality but that would be a very expensive 2.5oz weight savings. It seems like there are a few options in the 1-1.5lb range that have a more beefy tilt hinge like the benro s4, sirui va-5, and feisol vh-40 but for video use with my main camera (Fuji X-T20) the Befree Live works fine.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back