• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hello from PA! (1 Viewer)

birddave

I am new to birding. my wife and I found we really enjoy going in the outdoors and looking at several types of birds. we would have never guess we would love it as much if it wasnt for a friend getting us involved! we currently have a few different binoculars and 2 spotting scopes to use.
i was lucky to have a friend who has an old spacemaster he gave me. I currently need an eyepiece for. i need the 22xW lens and understand their hard to come by. We also are looking for a 40x regular spacemaster eyepiece. do either of these pop up sometimes ? what could i expect to pay for a 22W and 40x ? obviously I want to get these eyepieces asap. any help would be great!
thanks for your info, and helping me on my search! nice to meet everyone, and have discussions soon.

Hi Dave and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I've moved your post to the Telescope forum, as I think your questions are more likely to get the answers you required in there. I also subscribed you to the thread so you should be able to find it easily.

Meantime, I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

Hi Dave,

first of all, welcome to birdforum!

Regarding your scope, since Bushnell has sold (and is still selling) spotting scopes under the model name spacemaster for some decades, some model numbers and/or images might help.

Some older models seem to take Opticron HDF fixed EPs which are maybe easier to source.

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=78277

Joachim

thank you for the welcomes!
we have used a pair of 25x100 zhumell's and still do sometimes. i think i have a seal going bad or something. last outing i noticed it the one tube, there was moister on thee inside. anyway here is a # of the 1 scope i just picked up recently . PYNO.50942- D=60MM. normal red/silver screw on lable. We might get another bushnell also , reason i would like to find eyesets

the other spacemaster number is qzno-4645 d-60mm. silver and black lable. made in japan box says. Anyone know about these 2 scopes possible year?

kc,
thanks buddy! how are you handling that chilly weather their in Florida!? I could post pix of my gear. i may just need a lil assistance! anyways I'D love to find someone willing to sell one of the 20x-40x-22W eyepieces. where do i find other model numbers or whatever ?

jring,
yes my scope does look like that. are the kowa eyepieces the same length as the original spacemaster ones? i used to use photobucket to upload pix but haven't in years, i could post pix if somebody maybe refreshed my memory lol.

Sorry dave. When I posted I hadn't realized that you already had a post in the "Wanted" section. Fingers crossed for you ;)

Hi,

regarding focal length, your Spacemaster II has 386mm. The focal lengths of the old Kowas seem unknown (and probably quite variable across the different 50 and 60mm models). I have a tiny TS-9 with 20x EP - I would estimate the focal length at 250mm or so.

Magnification is focal length of the body divided by focal length of the EP, so we get around 12.5mm for the EP and then around 31x for that EP in your scope (it's not for sale).

The Opticron HDF fixed mag EPs which could fit too are shown here (part numbers 40809 and 40858-40861).

http://www.opticron.co.uk/Pages/eyepieces_archive.htm

The focal length and afov data for these is given in this thread:

http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?p=3421270

Joachim

Last edited:
j ring,
so your saying the HDF 40809 Eyepiece Classic IF-2 75 MT 25x will work in the spacemasters? i dont want any zoom, id like fixed power.
does this also work in them? HDF 40859 Eyepiece,MM2 52-- 28x?
im sorry but im new to this sorta stuff

j ring,
so your saying the HDF 40809 Eyepiece Classic IF-2 75 MT 25x will work in the spacemasters? i dont want any zoom, id like fixed power.
does this also work in them? HDF 40859 Eyepiece,MM2 52-- 28x?
im sorry but im new to this sorta stuff

Hi,

the 40859 should give 37x on the spacemasters (386mm/10.3mm). If it really fits and comes to focus is of course unknown...after all this is based on various people writing stuff on the web.

But if you find a 40859 and it doesn't fit, I might be interested.

Joachim

thanks for the info and help jring, id just rather look for original eyepieces than take chances . if i knew they fit id go the route.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back