• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which converter for 300F4 IS L (1 Viewer)

sniffie

Hi!

I'm thinking about buying a 1.4x converter for my 300mm lens. Which would u guys (or girls of course) buy, and more importantly, why?

There are so many brands that produce a 1.4x TC.

My feeling says, buy the original Canon...

Thanks for the advice!

greetings Sven

Buy a Kenko pro 1.4x tc the optical quality is just as good & a lot cheaper than Canon.

Steve.

I'd be cautious about buying a Kenko, I have a Kenko and it does not work very well with my 500 f4. For some reason the lens doesn't see it and the AF does funny, if I tape the pine it will AF fine but the IS doesn't work properly (I think that's the right way round). I've tried both the Canon and Sigma 1.4x tcs and both work fine, if you've got the cash I'd go with the Canon.

I agree with Steve - the performance of the Kenko compared to the Canon is so close as to be irrelevant, and the price (and weight!) of the Kenko is significantly less.

Note that I'm not disagreeing with Peter's experiences!

;)

The Kenko has been great for me (every bit as good functionally as well as optically) on my 100-400mm, but as Peter says, not for everybody, in all circumstances, with all lenses.

It also depends which body you are using - I am not sure how well the Kenko compares to the Canon on a full frame (film(!), 5D or 1Ds bodies), the smaller sensors of the other bodies use the theoretically best bit of the glass in the convertor.

I read that too. It scared me a bit as I had bought the 1.4 but ahdn't yet tried it on the 300. One mad panic later (and a lot of fumbling around with lenses/converters) and this statement was proved well and truely wrong.

Like most things Canon gear work very well together without many problems, having said that i have had a couple of issue with the mkIII and both my tele's.

I have used 1.4 on the 300f4 myself and found it to be a great fast combination, especially if coupled with a 500D close up lens you get a 300mm f5.6 macro lens with IS! a great combo....

My thread is very simliar to this one but I'll just say this, if you can afford a Canon then I would go for that, after all it is the best quality. If money doesn't permit (it's only £50 or so less though) then the Kenko.

Good luck Sven. :t:
Jaff

My thread is very simliar to this one but I'll just say this, if you can afford a Canon then I would go for that, after all it is the best quality. If money doesn't permit (it's only £50 or so less though) then the Kenko.

Good luck Sven. :t:
Jaff
I have both the Canon 1.4 tc and the Kenko Pro 1.4 and IMO there is not a lot in it as far as IQ is concerned.
I bought my Kenko from Honk Kong for £51 + P&P so quite a bit cheaper than the Canon.

Hi!

I'm thinking about buying a 1.4x converter for my 300mm lens. Which would u guys (or girls of course) buy, and more importantly, why?

There are so many brands that produce a 1.4x TC.

My feeling says, buy the original Canon...

Thanks for the advice!

greetings Sven

I haven't tried the Kenko, but I have the Canon 1.4 converter. It works perfectly with the two compatible lenses that I have, namely the 70-200mm f4 L lens, and the 300mm f4 L IS lens with my older 350D camera, and with my current 400D and 40D. In spite of what I have read,on the 300mm lens, it works perfectly with all selected single focus points including the central one, as well as with all focus points, on the 40D.

I haven't tried the Kenko, but I have the Canon 1.4 converter. It works perfectly with the two compatible lenses that I have, namely the 70-200mm f4 L lens, and the 300mm f4 L IS lens with my older 350D camera, and with my current 400D and 40D. In spite of what I have read,on the 300mm lens, it works perfectly with all selected single focus points including the central one, as well as with all focus points, on the 40D.
The 40D + 1.4 tc is going to work perfectly well with a f4 or faster lens - it is when you use a f5.6 lens and a taped tc that the centre focus point becomes almost worthless.

You know the one person we haven't heard from here is Sven and I've just checked and he's not been on since he started the thread, be nice if he'd actually post and let us know how he's getting on.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back