• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Orioles on feeders (1 Viewer)

Chuck A. Walla

I have Hooded and Bullock's Orioles coming to my feeders a lot. I don't mind, I even reamed out the feeder holes on this one to make it easier for them. The Black-chins seem miffed though and I'd pay money to see how a Rufus would react. Is this all normal though?

Attachments

• Oriole on feeder.jpg
    Oriole on feeder.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 184
Chuck A. Walla said:
I have Hooded and Bullock's Orioles coming to my feeders a lot. I don't mind, I even reamed out the feeder holes on this one to make it easier for them. The Black-chins seem miffed though and I'd pay money to see how a Rufus would react. Is this all normal though?

Chuck,

Try putting a small cup of grape jelly out and see what the Oriole does. My mother-in-law makes homemade grape jelly and I use a lot of it for the Orioles. I clip the jelly cup to an open branch and they have a smacking good time. The Rufus get a little miffed when they come around but can't chase them away as they can be agressive.

I have a family of baltimore orioles who have been enjoying the humming feeder. I too made the holes bigger to help them out.
First I bought an oriole feeder but they wont look at it... (I guess the original one is preferred).
I hope they stick around once the babies are grown and gone.!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back