• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meopta Meostar (1 Viewer)

Vortex fury 6.5x32 and Meopro 6.5x32 are the same cheap chinese binocular.

The only difference is the coating, i tested both and this time, strange but true, i had a preference for the vortex.

greets

Where did the Meopro say it was made on the bino? And were there any differences in construction?

And perhaps rather than a half sentence statement on the Fury superiority, you'd like to elaborate on the optical areas that you found the Fury to be superior?

Last edited:
Vortex fury 6.5x32 and Meopro 6.5x32 are the same cheap chinese binocular.

The only difference is the coating, i tested both and this time, strange but true, i had a preference for the vortex.

greets

Ciao Ivan,

Well, it's about time somebody said it!

Okay, so we're paying hundreds of dollars (thousands of lire) more for better coatings and a Euro nameplate. They better be damn good coatings because the nameplate is only made of plastic. :)

I'm glad that's finally settled. Although there are still couple things I still don't understand, namely why an Italian is named Ivan and a Frenchman is named Giorgio?

Oh well, when in Rome...

Antonio Andrés Gonzalo

Not to rake up the Conquest HD-Made in Germany-discussion :), but Meopta makes a point about the Meopros being assembled in the USA. I wonder what it says on the Furys, made in China? I seem to remember it was established in another thread that the Fury and the Meopro are different animals.

George

In Italy meopro 6.5x32 and vortex fury 6.5x32 have the same price.

I had the vortex fury 6.5x32 for over 1 year and i had the opportuny to test it against meopro 6.5x32 for 3 days during the last megareview of binomania.

The Vortex was a little bit brighter and with better edge performance, the meopro was harder to focus properly, but maybe it was a bad sample.

Anyway the performance difference were small, so small that i have judged the binoculars to be the same, only with a different coating and maybe with a different eyepiece desing.

Both are a nice entry level binoculars, with good performance for the price. If you ask to me which is better to buy, i answer the one that cost less.

Greets and again sorry for my poor english

I seem to remember it was established in another thread that the Fury and the Meopro are different animals.

well I think "established" meant that Tom said so ;) he already owned the Fury and ordered the Meopro and said that that they weren't the same from what I remember. That is why I asked above if he had ever posted a detailed comparison, but apparently that question wasn't worthy of an answer 8-P

considering the uncanny similarities in physical appearance, specs, etc. I have to imagine they share some common "ancestry" but I wouldn't be surprised if there were differences (e.g. coatings, focus knob, etc). Each mfgr seems to tweak a given Chinese platform to their own specs....

Last edited:
I've just started to look around for some new bins and I came across the Meostar 8x56 WP. Bloody hell, I thought, that must give a bright image. 50% heavier than my current pair and close-focus doesn't include my feet. Not a deal breaker but I don't understand, and cannot find, many details about the glass or the coatings.

They are currently available for £639 which seems reasonable but there are many bins of a similar price.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

This is what Meopta have to say about it:
http://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/shop/en/56-mm-series/Wlgi9RQaaxVZ/ctgBen.html

I've not tried the x50 or x56s but I have tried and liked the other Meostars. I think Meopta leave the big ones at home for birding shows. I got to play with the HD 10x42 with the ED glass last summer. It really did make a worthwhile difference and we think Meopta are considering rolling it out across the rest of the range. We've seen no confirmation yet.

A few of us have cheaper x56 pairs from Eden, Hawke etc. but, for myself at least, 1.12kg is rather hard work for more than short periods. I'll only take mine along if I really expect very low light. (Others users may be beefier than I am. ;) ) One thing I've realised is that in low light visual acuity is actually quite poor. No real need for sharp optics but of course high transmission is good. Astronomy is a different issue. I actually went for the 10x56 as the higher twilight factor seemed to work best for me at least.

David

we think Meopta are considering rolling it out across the rest of the range. We've seen no confirmation yet.

Hi,

Where did you hear that Meopta are extending HD across the rest of the range?

I emailed them a few months ago (I forget exactly when but I think 6 months ago at most) and they told me that they had no plans to do so.

I would like to see a 7x42 HD Meostar.

Best wishes
BS

BS,

Nothing more concrete than the comments that MeoptaMan has made here. I did ask the boys on the stand at birdfair and they said pretty much the same thing. They were in the planning process and they were considering whether to upgrade (ED glass, dielectric) or go for a redesign as well.

I sent Meoptaman a few thing on my wishlist including for the 7x but did not get a reply.

David

I included a hope that the x42s might be put on a diet, but I love the ergos of the x32 so my very personal wish was for a 7x32. Fat chance! I suspect but one can dream. ;)

David

David, I'm having a Meopro 6.5x32 in the pipeline. Steve kindly agreed to buy it and after he has tried it for a while, I'll have it.
Then I will have the Fury and the Meopro 6.5x32s and the Meostar 8x32 for comparison.
I would not be surprised if the Meopro is what you're efter. Admittedly, the Meostar is very sleek.

//L

Last edited:
Lars,

I have had the opportunity to try the Meopro, Fury and the Viking MD 6.5x32s. Not side by side but back and forth the different stands. I thought the Viking was the pick of the three for sharpness but the edges were not the best. For me, the Fury trailed the others. All felt clumsy to use by comparison with the Meostar. I was delighted to get a good deal on an Opticron 7x36 which is very sharp and has a much better build quality than that group IMO. The ergonomics suit me better as well, but not a match the Meostar.

David

I'll be interested to hear if you think the Fury and Meostar are the same basic binocular. I've read that the Fury is better, that the Meostar is better, that they're the same, that they're different. :D One thing I can say with absolute certainty, I am as thrilled with my Fury's today as when I first bought them. They have a synergy about them that evades most other binoculars.

David, I'm having a Meopro 6.5x32 in the pipeline. Steve kindly agreed to buy it and after he has tried it for a while, I'll have it.
Then I will have the Fury and the Meopro 6.5x32s and the Meostar 8x32 for comparison.
I would not be surprised if the Meopro is what you're efter. Admittedly, the Meostar is very sleek.

//L

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back