• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds from Peru (1 Viewer)

cheerful

What is the guideline for the poster on this forum? (Birds from Peru)

Given the reply, I have changed the subject. I'd hope to get some clarity. See my post below at #15

--------------------

1. Paracas, Peru
2. Yanque, Peru

Thanks

Attachments

• 2016L3_Paracas_083.jpg
    2016L3_Paracas_083.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 2016L6_Yanque_054.jpg
    2016L6_Yanque_054.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
And two should not be in this forum as it is clearly not a wild bird

Niels

'Cheerful' seems to be using BF as an alternative to buying a bird guide to his region and working most things out for himself.

I'm surprised none of the responders has complained about this. But it's not my region, so go ahead and reply if you like.

'Cheerful' seems to be using BF as an alternative to buying a bird guide to his region and working most things out for himself.

I'm surprised none of the responders has complained about this. But it's not my region, so go ahead and reply if you like.

I'm a regular traveler who likes to take photo of birds when I see them. But I don't consider myself a birder. I do have a few guide booklet but even after comparing them to the guide, most of them I can't have much confidence as I have never really spent enough time learning about birds. I'm not familiar with the rules of the forum. Is this not meant for a traveler photo-taker like me?

I'm a regular traveler who likes to take photo of birds when I see them. But I don't consider myself a birder. I do have a few guide booklet but even after comparing them to the guide, most of them I can't have much confidence as I have never really spent enough time learning about birds. I'm not familiar with the rules of the forum. Is this not meant for a traveler photo-taker like me?

No, no, there’s no rule against ID posts by non-birder photographers. No one’s required to respond, after all. It’s just unusual for bird photographers to make as little effort to identify their quarry as you seem to do and to show so little interest in birdlife in general.

No, no, there’s no rule against ID posts by non-birder photographers. No one’s required to respond, after all. It’s just unusual for bird photographers to make as little effort to identify their quarry as you seem to do and to show so little interest in birdlife in general.

It's more usual for posters such as this, to have visited one country or region but there are numerous very bird rich countries included here. People don't mind the occasional posts such as these to maybe encourage people in to birding but this has swamped the site in the name of simply tagging a name to a shot.

At least use the max number of permitted images (5) per post to cut down the actual number of posts. Twenty two posts from you on just this page.

Last edited:
I'm a regular traveler who likes to take photo of birds when I see them. But I don't consider myself a birder.

That's fine

I do have a few guide booklet but even after comparing them to the guide, most of them I can't have much confidence as I have never really spent enough time learning about birds.

I said that it's not my region, but from the photos you have posted it seems to me that a lot of those birds are extremely distinctive, and would be easy to identify with confidence from a good book.

When I first posted here with queries about twelve years ago, I had already spent a lot of time trying to identify my birds from the two large and expensive books I had bought. But as you say, when you are a beginner, even with the best will in the world, there are some birds that you can't 'get'.

But, having said that, you don't seem to be making any effort to ID your birds before posting. Many new posters will put up pictures with their own ID - e.g. "I think this is X; am I right". But you never give your guess at an ID.

'm not familiar with the rules of the forum. Is this not meant for a traveler photo-taker like me?
There are no rules about wild birds (but the captive bird you posted is against the forum rules). So, if people answer, then you can post any way you like, as you have.

But, for myself, I don't understand why you want to ID the birds you saw without any apparent interest in the birds themselves. If you spent time trying to ID the birds from a good (and maybe expensive) guide book, and then asked about the difficult IDs here, then you would learn a lot about the birds themselves and the habitat that (in these days of extreme climate change) we hope to preserve for them to thrive.

So: I don't understand your purpose in wanting to ID the birds you saw without learning anything about them, which you would do from using a decent guide book to try to ID them and only posting if you had failed. Doesn't it take you longer to post your photos here than it would to try to ID them from a book and then post the genuinely difficult ones here?

The captive bird is black-chested buzzard-eagle. I don't mind all the posts but wonder why bother with the really crappy pics if you're not that bothered what they are anyway?

Where did the OP say he was not really bothered? He has asked for bird ID's on a bird ID forum so (apart from the captive bird issue) what is the problem? Many people seem happy to help out. Do you have to be a birder or have a guide book to post here. What if you would just like to know what you have seen and photographed?

Where did the OP say he was not really bothered? He has asked for bird ID's on a bird ID forum so (apart from the captive bird issue) what is the problem? Many people seem happy to help out. Do you have to be a birder or have a guide book to post here. What if you would just like to know what you have seen and photographed?

If you're that bothered, most would invest in a book of some kind.

I see no problem with the postings including the number of posts. Adding it all in one thread is irritating to me.

Niels

Hi, everyone,

First I'd like to thank anyone who helped me identifying these birds.

After the most recent trip, I started to go back in my photo archive and found many I did not identify before (last time I came here was almost 10 years ago). This resulted in the "flood". I'd take a pause here and wait for some clarity on how this forum works.

I'm not a birder. And I don't intend or pretend to be. I do like wild life in general, including birds. When I travel, I do go on trip where there are a lot of birds and I will take photo of them. And I do have an interest knowing their names so it's possible to look up more information of them later.

Most of the trips I went on had guides. However, they could only help identifying a subset of the birds encountered. And they are not always correct.

Books & software etc. I only have small booklet, they are not that useful for a non-birder -- it's not an easy task to figure out many of the subtle difference (heron/egret, etc).

I have about 50% of birds tagged. The rest are beyond what I can have confidence in.

Most importantly, I don't think I will ever be able to invest the time and effort to learn how to identify all the birds. This is the reason that I came to this forum.

So what's the expected of a poster on this forum?

Buy a book first before you ask -- I don't think I will do that.

Identify them yourself and put up yours whenever you can -- I did a few and my ratio of correctness is beyond poor

Never ask about the same bird again -- I do attempt to avoid the duplicate. But I don't think I have the confidence of my identification at all (e.g. Greater kiskadee vs Social flycather).

Number of birds / posts per day/month -- how many?

Any other guidelines?

Thanks

Two main rules of which you were aware of one: location preferred in the title of the thread, and only wild birds are wanted.

As I stated above I did not have a problem with what you did, but going forward I would advice 3-5 active threads at any one time.

Finally, we would like to convert you into someone putting in a little more time to your birding ;)

Niels

Two main rules of which you were aware of one: location preferred in the title of the thread, and only wild birds are wanted.

As I stated above I did not have a problem with what you did, but going forward I would advice 3-5 active threads at any one time.

Finally, we would like to convert you into someone putting in a little more time to your birding ;)

Niels

5-8 active threads are fine with me.

5-8 active threads are fine with me.

What about 30+?

People appreciate some effort, everyone here likes to help but there comes a point surely when you have to say 'what's the point'?

The poster isn't learning anything and seemingly doesn't intend to even try so the answers are about the self esteem of those who provide them.

Last edited:
Seriously, it has been quite enlightening to read all these views - a lot of them supplied with motivation - of so many experts in ornithological activities, like identification (from photos). I agree with a lot of all comment, because naturally I had got the same impression: why would someone who has taken pictures of so many birds, apparently not have taken the trouble of any attempt to identifying? On the other hand, without encouraging the behaviour in question, I like to point out that it is Mr. cheerful who has caused such a stream of interesting birders' and readers' views. As a side-effect it offered for me, who do not rely on much detailed knowledge of difficult species, and I suppose, for other picture-viewers as well, a nice opportunity to get somewhat better informed visually. I hope "cheerful" is able to keep his interest alive and possibly raise it to the level which most of us are still striving to reach.
Good luck to you all, in serious admiration of what was delivered!
Jan van der Brugge

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back