• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

BVD keeps being "blind" on Leica (1 Viewer)

pduxon said:
Alula have just reviewed the 82 comparing it with the zeiss and swaro.

Hi Pete,

The Alula review is not (yet?) available on their web site. Would you have the time to provide a summary of their findings? If so, I'd be grateful.

Thanks.

Avron

pduxon said:
From BVD.....

"Binoculars choice is, of course, an intensely personal decision and, despite all our attempts at science, still a very subjective one. Given that, I am ready to say, that unless your birding style, habits, or needs are considerably out of the ordinary, the Leica 8X32 Ultras will satisfy you for years to come. They are, simply, the best all-around birding binoculars that I have yet had the privilege to use. They are so good that I am creating a new category in the Reference Set for them: Best Overall!"

Pete: Sorry, I misread your post. I thought you were suggesting that he currently rates the Leica 8x32 as the best overall, whereas you said that he used to.

What's this Alula review of the Nikon 82mm scope you mention?

trudge trudge

He does report some unit to unit differences but says this is the same for the other brands.

All scopes were only tested with zooms.

ok in summary.
Resolution - Nikon = Zeiss and better than Swaro.
Contrast - Nikon better than Swaro "which means that it is better than in any scope I have tested"
Brightness - on comparable mags. Zeiss, with Nikon close and then Swaro.

with respect to flare and backlight Nikon on a par with swaro and better than Zeiss.

He comments that general ease of viewing on the Nikon is below the others "since eye placement with the small eyepiece lens of the zooms is more critical". There is also a comment about the narrow field of views and lack of eye relief. Although the wide angle eyepieces are "fully comparable" to the zeiss and swaro.

In conclusion he reckons its "optical performance is top class" and that its a choice of wider fields of view or higher magnifcations. I got the impression that build quality was a little below the others. He reckons its a marked improvement over the ED78

Anyone keen for the whole review PM me with your address..........

In America BVD is a brand of underwear

I discovered that BVD's opinions were too highly subjective to match my desires in a glass. I am happy with a binocular he panned: the Zeiss Victory I. It has a bright image, in a lightweight package, that is ergonomically fine. A friend tells me that the resolution of that Zeiss is indistinguishable from the Nikon Venturer LX 8x42, a glass which BVD gives great accolades. He gives the Nikon better colour but poorer brightness. It would seem that the Abbe Koning prisms more than make up for the smaller objectives

Happy birding,
Arthur

Last edited:
Pinewood said:
I discovered that BVD's opinions were too highly subjective to match my desires in a glass. I am happy with a binocular he panned: the Zeiss Victory I. It has a bright image, in a lightweight package, that is ergonomically fine. A friend tells me that the resolution of that Zeiss is indistinguishable from the Nikon Venturer LX 8x42, a glass which BVD gives great accolades. He gives the Nikon better colour but poorer brightness. It would seem that the Abbe Koning prisms more than make up for the smaller objectives

Happy birding,
Arthur

Author: I don't think he panned the Victory I, but he did say that in his opinion they had some shortcomings which he did not like i.e. eye tubes, strap lugs and slightly lowered contrast. Zeiss did subsequently 'rectify' these 'faults'. Although I agree with the BVD review, as I hated the strap lugs and the armour, many people on this forum have said the same as you. Interestingly there is a review of the Victory I on the Cloudy Nights site which concludes that it beats the Leica 8x42 BN optics in most issues e.g. contrast. At the end of the day it really is important to try them for yourself if at all possible. I use reviews to eliminate the dogs, to find out which ones I need to test, and to pick up hints on what to look out for e.g. flare, slow focus etc.

as far as i'm concerned (in all walks of life) once you take the money your opinion is worthless to me. That's not to say i blame the guy, mind. Just that i wouldn't expect to be taken seriously if i were being paid by one major player......

Tim Allwood said:
as far as i'm concerned (in all walks of life) once you take the money your opinion is worthless to me. That's not to say i blame the guy, mind. Just that i wouldn't expect to be taken seriously if i were being paid by one major player......

Valid point Tim but these reviews were written long before he went to work for Zeiss.

Leif said:
Arthur: I don't think he panned the Victory I, ...Interestingly there is a review of the Victory I on the Cloudy Nights site which concludes that it beats the Leica 8x42 BN optics in most issues e.g. contrast. At the end of the day it really is important to try them for yourself if at all possible. I use reviews to eliminate the dogs, to find out which ones I need to test, and to pick up hints on what to look out for e.g. flare, slow focus etc.
Absolutely! Binoculars are a personal choice. My biggest complaint about shops, is the inablity in some places to use try them outside the shop, where I intend to use them.
I maintain that among the first quality marques, there is little to chose, mostly personal preferences,as we analyze each design compromise. Indeed, many of us seem to have several glasses to fit the circumstances of the day.
Cloudy Nights has a slightly different perspective as its viewpoint is that of astronomy enthusiasts. What is clear is that knowledgeable people may have rather different opinions.
As others have suggested, a fox cannot run with the hounds. Our opinion of Ingraham's comments are now colored by his employment status.
With warm wishes for happy birding,
Arthur

Tim Allwood said:

As Pete points out, the reviews were all written before Steve Ingraham accepted the Zeiss shilling. I believe that he no longer writes reviews for exactly the reasons you suggest i.e. loss of impartiality.

Tim Allwood said:

There are many factors - in addition to money - that can color someone's opinion. Maybe its the nation of origin. Or perhaps its the brand that the reviewer first fell in love with. Who knows? Show me a fully impartial reviewer and then we can take blood samples to verify if she is actually human.

Years ago I read a review of the early 1970s Firebird (automobile) in Consumer Reports. That publication never accepted advertisement in order to mainain its objectivity. But their review was extremely biased toward a "family car" point of view - something that the Firebird simply didn't fit - and they wrote a very biased article that probably said pretty much what most of their readership wanted to read.

I take ALL opinions with a grain of salt. I prefer objective measurments and evidence. But which scope reviews have that?

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back