• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

zeiss sf 8x42 vs zeiss ht 8x42 (2 Viewers)

What complete nonsense. I have recently bought the 8x42 HT after much deliberation and can tell you they are quite magnificent. I personally don't see any benefit with the SF. The HT's are beautiful to hold, the image is somehow nicer and brighter. And they're about £500 cheaper over here.

Also depends how you feel about field flatteners and a darker image.

The HT's are in a league of their own. If you test them both for yourself I don't think the decision will be difficult.

Sollas
Don't take it so hard, we all have different needs.

I have both SF and HT and while I wouldn't want to part with the HT 8x42 there is no doubt in my mind the SF's wider field of view and handling balance offer me more. The fov is great for scanning the skies, seas and land for stuff and makes it easier to get a view of fast flying nearby insects like butterflies and dragonflies, and the handling balance makes it easier to hold the bins steady for long periods of observing behaviour. For example we were watching otters not far from the village of Sollas on North Uist last week and SF is easier to hold steady for this length of time.

When the skies darken with cloud or time of day then HT is the one I reach for.

Lee

FL vs SF

How does the old 8x42 FL compare optically to the 8x42 SF? You can save a thousand pounds or so when buying a used FL compared to the new SF.
The fov is excellent on the SF, but how about other things?
Sorry, I could only find one direct comparison so far. That one favoured the SF overall (Re British Birds).

The SF and HT are different designs and there is a place for both. The SF uses lens flatteners for a flat field view and the HT does not. There are multiple posts on the forum from members who think the flat field is unnatural and prefer the view from a classic design. Some think just the opposite and prefer the flat view. Each group has a choice with the SF or the HT.

The other consideration is rolling ball. Some people pick up rolling ball in the SF 8X42 and to some extent the 10X42 along with the Swaro EL SV products, which makes them unusable. They would be candidates for the HT. Other folks have no problems with rolling ball in those models.

Nase,

I doubt Lee will give you an absolute answer to which is best but it is not because he will not make a decision. In fact he has made a decision, he bought each model! That is because they are different and serve different needs and he decided he has use for both. Lee is however the best person on the forum to explain the differences between the two.

You need to decide how you will be using the binocular and what you will be viewing. You also need to figure out what attributes are more or less important to you so you can then come up with a weighted evaluation. Attribute examples are flat field, FOV, eye relief, weight, size , color bias, focus speed and feel, etc.

If Lee or some of us have an idea of what you are after, then we can help point you to models that may be a good fit for your needs and priorities. I for one will not say one is best because each is excellent. However one may be the better choice for you.

In my case, I went with the SF because it best met my needs. I consider it more of a general purpose all around binocular and that is what I was after. The HT is known for its brightness and ability to bring out the finest detail in the most adverse conditions so if that were a high priority as might be for a wildlife biologist or a hunter on a once in a lifetime hunt, then the HT would be a great choice. I do not have that need and would much rather have the benefits of the SF wide FOV and great balance and still have superb optics.

If you are looking for one of the best overall general purpose birding binoculars without cost being an obstacle, then the Zeiss SF 8X42 should be the place to start your search.

To address your question on clearer and 3D, I never noticed a difference. If by clearer, you mean which has better resolution, then I do not know. It may not be an issue for you depending on your own acuity. Both may resolve past your own acuity level so then it would not be a factor. If you have 20/10 vision, then you might see a difference. I do not recall seeing any properly conducted documented resolution tests of these two models. They could be close enough that any difference could due to sample variation.

The 3D in the SF looks fine to me. I have looked through and compared the SF and HT and do not recall any noticeable difference in the apparent 3D. Lee may have more to offer on that. I doubt that would be a factor in deciding between the two. What would most likely impact the apparent 3d is the flat field design vs the classic design.

I'm still using an FL 10x42. In comparing them with the SF, the SF is a bit brighter and sharper due to the Schott HT glass, has a wider FOV and a shorter close focus. Ergonomics in the SF are also improved due to the weight distribution being closer to the eyepieces, which results in less tension in the forearms.

How does the old 8x42 FL compare optically to the 8x42 SF? You can save a thousand pounds or so when buying a used FL compared to the new SF.
The fov is excellent on the SF, but how about other things?
Sorry, I could only find one direct comparison so far. That one favoured the SF overall (Re British Birds).

Sorry but I have no experience with the 8X42 FL. I think Lee had one at one time and possibly Chuck has had both. If so, then they may comment. My only thought is the HT is the next iteration of the FL so I suspect some of the differences between HT and SF would apply to the differences between the FL and the SF.

Thanks Steve and Bruce. That is what I expected. I could see that the ergonomics were an improvement. I still think that for around 800 pounds sterling the FL are good, even used, instead of forking out 1800+ for a new pair. Some wealthy people might want to upgrade and that gives others a chance to get an old alpha for a good price.
It's still good to know the difference though, but I don't think it's enough for some people. The FLs are still good, especially the 8x32. The 10x42 SF might be worth the money over its predecessor.

The 10x42 FL will be about two hundred pounds more - I think I saw one for just under a thousand. The new 10x42 SF is around £1900.

Last edited:
Sorry, just another few points. The FL has an eye relief of 16mm compared to 18mm for the SF and that could be useful. The eye-cups on both look like they extend quite far out though, so less chance of blackout compared to my Conquests HD 8x32. Zeiss sent me some longer eye cups, so there is not as much blackout now.
I don't remember any blackout for the two SF binoculars that I tried out at the bird sanctuary last year.

The grey SF (mki) might have had a shorter eye cup extension - three stage twist; whereas the newer black one (mkii) has a four stage eye cup adjustment. The focus wheel on the mkii is supposed to be a lot better too.
Both the 8x & 10x are great because of their very wide angle. They seem that good that one day I might get a pair. I'll be trying them out again at the bird fair and RSPB Centre.

Bruce is right. I had an FL 8x42 for some years and sold it a couple of years after getting an HT. There is no doubt in my mind that HT was a useful step up from FL optically but it wasn't a giant leap and the handling of HT was IMO a big improvement which I noticed because I often watch behaviour for long periods of time. The handling improvement might not be so noticeable if you only lift your binos up long enough to make an identification or find a target for your scope. Steve's summary of SF vs HT is a good one. For my kind of nature observation I find SF more useful with its unique handling balance and wide field but HT has a very nice view.

Lee

The grey SF (mki) might have had a shorter eye cup extension - three stage twist; whereas the newer black one (mkii) has a four stage eye cup adjustment. The focus wheel on the mkii is supposed to be a lot better too.
Both the 8x & 10x are great because of their very wide angle. They seem that good that one day I might get a pair. I'll be trying them out again at the bird fair and RSPB Centre.

please clarify. Is the eyecup length the same between both version of SF and merely one is broken into 3 stages and the other into 4, or is the latter model longer and extends above the distance of the 3-stage version?

Zeiss almost always understate their eye relief specs.

There is nothing wrong with significant ER, the issue is when the eyecup cannot raise high enough to accommodate the ER.

I had precisely that situation with Swaro EL 8.5x. The eyecups that came with it resulted in blackouts, while ER was right on the money. Had to use eyecups from a 8x50 SLC. They fit, kind of. Not perfectly (leaving a mm gap around the lenses) but they work. Hard to believe they had such an oversight on an expensive alpha model.

Seems like the internal optics are more excellent on Swaro EL. Then it got handed off to another team that built that stupid eyecup cover contraption and the objective covers that slip off and the eyecups that don't raise enough..

My next bino is Zeiss SF 8x42 2nd generation

please clarify. Is the eyecup length the same between both version of SF and merely one is broken into 3 stages and the other into 4, or is the latter model longer and extends above the distance of the 3-stage version?

Zeiss made a change to the eye cups on the Zeiss SF when they replaced the grey/gray body with the black body. The only change was to have two intermediate positions in the black model version compared to only one intermediate position in the original grey version. Dimensions (length) are the same in the full down and full extension positions.

The newer 4 position eye cup is interchangeable with the original 3 position design. Zeiss USA (and most likely other regions) will send a free replacement to those who want to swap out the original.

As far as the focus mechanism, there were some reports where on occasion a grey model would exhibit some stiction in the focus mechanism. Zeiss addressed this by improving the tolerances of the related parts mid stream in the production of the grey models. This carried over to the black body change. Anyone with a grey model having stiction issues should contact Zeiss.

Optics between the grey and black versions are unchanged.

I think Zeiss subtly in there material point the HT more to hunters and the SF's more to birdwatching. I had an HT briefly and it will give you ten to fifteen minutes on either end of the day but not necessarily with enough color present to make an ID on a bird but with a deer or elk or what ever color isn't importante the general outline and does it have antlers. In my case the HT's weren't enough for me to park my Kowa's the SF's were.
Steve

The Zeiss SF is clearly the best of the Zeiss binoculars, the flagship, etc.
It has the better ergos. open frame design, larger FOV and balance that is top of the line.

The Victory HT is a lightly warmed over Victory FL, and in fact I don't like the ergos of the HT compared to the FL model.

My experience is as an owner of both the SF 10x42, and the FL 8x42.
I tried the HT once, and knew right away it was not for me.

The HT was designed by hunters for hunters. I would recommend the Conquest HD over the Victory HT.
Jerry

I much prefer my HT over the FL I had. Better optics, build quality and handling. I have not been impressed with the SF at all and I am not the only one. If I wanted sharp edges it would be Swarovski every time but I do not so that leaves the SLC and HT as the best choices along with possibly the Noctivid which I have not tried yet .

I much prefer my HT over the FL I had. Better optics, build quality and handling. I have not been impressed with the SF at all and I am not the only one. If I wanted sharp edges it would be Swarovski every time but I do not so that leaves the SLC and HT as the best choices along with possibly the Noctivid which I have not tried yet .

Doesn't the 18% bigger field of view by area of SF 8x42 compared with HT 8x42 interest you? Field of view isn't everything of course and HT does have a very nice quality of view.

Lee

Sorry, I only just got an email notification today about these messages, most of them from last week.

Good question ETC, I didn't know the answer myself. When I read about it - it made me think that the 4 stage twist was longer but that is not necessarily the case with these things and wishful thinking on my part. I didn't actually say either way tho. Thanks to Bruce for sorting that one out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back